Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I haven't tried any fast food places because people in my family have told me fast food places aren't desirable places to work at.
There is an old saying, beggars can't be choosers. It is better to have a crap job and get paid than to have no job and not. Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I haven't tried any fast food places because people in my family have told me fast food places aren't desirable places to work at.
That is the key type of place that hires teenagers.

My first job was at McDonalds. Being a teenager you won't get an office job 9-5 Mon-Friday so lower your expectations and go for that fast food place.

You need to get your foot in the door..fast food is a fine first job.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Go apply to places that you will be doing slave labor. Learn how to really work... it seems that you have been applying to cushy easy jobs. Go get a job that nobody else wants. My first job at 16 was slinging sledgehammers , loading/unloading trucks and just being a little slave to the senior workers for about 16 hours a day every day during the summer. I stayed at that job for 5 years and I still work there on the weekends as a supervisor and truck driver and intern at a company through school right now during the week.

Hard jobs teach you excellent work ethic, patience, and a firm understanding of what some people really have to do every day to survive. You will be working but you won't be surviving (assuming you live with your rents still). And trust me landscaping companies, construction, tent companies, roofing companies... anything thats tough work their is demand!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:52 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
[raises hand] first job was packing bags at the supermarket.

Everyone has a first job, and they stink. But it's good experience; it's an easy-to-understand task, it teaches you to be on time and to understand your role in the hierarchy of the workplace (aka being respectful of your superiors).

Thinking you're too good for landscaping, construction, or fast food is the excuse all the pro-illegals use for why they are needed here to do these jobs so teenagers don't have to.

Go for it, and get your hands dirty; you'll be glad for the perspective it gives you and it'll make you grateful for the "grownup" job you wind up with later in life.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Doing hard work as a teen taught me what to avoid. Then I joined the Navy and my tour in 'Nam taught me more stuff to avoid. Eventually, I found work that I didn't want to avoid. Now, as I am ready to retire, I expect to avoid all work. I'll probably be doing some difficult and tiring things but, as they will be done because I want to do them, they will not be work.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has given me advice so far.

Try your local library and book stores see if they have any open positions. Also look into something other then retail stores. Try labor jobs for other options. If your good with computers and fixing them contact your local small computer stores and service businesses. As far as appearance remember were you are applying if your looking to work at gap talk to manager with the same type of clothes. Also retail clothing stores take appearance seriously.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I bought a new car (paid cash) my senior year in high school from mowing yards for several years.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:51 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
There is an old saying, beggars can't be choosers. It is better to have a crap job and get paid than to have no job and not. Think about it.
That's amazingly awful advice. You assess the supervisors, staff, establishment, and decide if you're looking at a place that fits you.

OP, do you have goals? Do you know what you want to do? Find something in line with that. Go some place you can learn something... but be careful that you don't get caught in a profession/trade that you're not interested in. (Many people, myself included, pick up a summer job when we're your age... before you know it, you're on the money merry go round and you keep going back to it because no one else will pay you as much... as you drift further and further away from your dreams...)

Anyway, maybe your application sucks.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:52 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
I think it has to do with the economy going down in some states.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Most of the jobs kids used to get are now filled by immigrants, legal & otherwise.

Not sure where to point you but as a kid in Norwalk CT I worked in gas stations (Back when an attendant pumped it), resturants washing dishes, cutting grass, pushing carts at Stop&shop, laboring for masons & other trades.

as I said, most of these jobs are filled by people who hardly can speak English now.
The good thing, if you can get in the door & are really responsible is you can move up real quickly being as you speak, read & write English.

Be patient, be persistent, Be annoying, make them hire you just so you stop pestering them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies