Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:56 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What personal liberties & freedom do you think you have that we don't have in Canada?
None that your Govt thinks you shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Not here. beer and liquor stores are open 7 days a week, but they close at eleven

Gun ownership here is regulated, but I would have no problem buying and owning any gun that is not fully automatic...They are restricted.

Any other freedoms you think we do not have?
Really? Go buy a pistol, get a permit & carry it around when/if you like.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
We have our share of mass shootings, but mostly they involve the drug gangs.

Canada has had school shootings, but they have been much less common, and the outpouring of rage and disbelief has prompted the country's legislators to react. After Marc Lépine killed 14 women at École Polytechnique in Montreal in 1989, the federal government passed gun-control legislation that may have helped limit the carnage last September when Kimveer Gill took semi-automatic weapons into Dawson College, also in Montreal, and killed one student. Mr. Lépine used a gun that could fire 30 bullets, but the 1991 law that followed his attack limited most rifles to five rounds of ammunition, and handguns to 10 rounds.

globeandmail.com: A mass shooting at school, yet again (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070417.weshooting17/BNStory/specialComment/home - broken link)
Could actually empower people to do something. So far the only mass shootings that stopped before the killer decided to were stopped by private citizens with guns. Most notably a would be church shooter last year getting shot by an armed civilian woman.

Canada has mass killings on par with its population. Put ten times the people there & theyd have ten times the killings I imagine.
But if they didn't it still wouldn't matter.
I'll take liberty to protect me & mine over warm fuzzy false govt protections any day.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Quote:
What personal liberties & freedom do you think you have that we don't have in Canada?
Freedom from thought as far as whether or not you will do certain drugs.

Freedom from having to propose to your partner if you are gay.

Freedom to be shot in the street.

Freedom to die from a treatable illness if you are poor.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
And if everyone is armed how are the cops going to recognize who the real shooter is when they do show up? They just might shoot you and ask questions later.
He'd be the one on the ground with holes in him.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Back to the subject, what about population density in Canada? Is it as densely populated as the US overall? Maybe that has something to do with the stats.
Course it does Karen, thats why nobody's answering you. Canada has aprox 30,000,000 people, we have 300,000,000. Ten times as many.

Quote:
And as I mentioned, they've had 12 less homicides last year. Great. But in the scheme of things, is homicide really an exact science? maybe there'll be 24 more next year to bring it back up.
Yep, pretty meaningless stat

Quote:
What lesson is the US supposed to learn from these stats? That if we're more like Canada (in what way?), we too could have 12 fewer homicides?
I'll grant that if we had Canadas dracinian gun control out murder rate MIGHT go down. But at the same time that gives total control over who is going to die to the bad guys.
I like to have a say in the matter.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Course it does Karen, thats why nobody's answering you. Canada has aprox 30,000,000 people, we have 300,000,000. Ten times as many.

Yep, pretty meaningless stat

I'll grant that if we had Canadas dracinian gun control out murder rate MIGHT go down. But at the same time that gives total control over who is going to die to the bad guys.
I like to have a say in the matter.
Do you not read the posts before you make these statements?

How does the population difference cause the US to have more than three times the murder rate per capita? That stat is not meaningless, and I have no idea why you do not understand it.

How are Canada's gun laws draconian? I am allowed to own guns, including handguns, just not fully auto weapons. There are many gun collectors here.

I do not believe that our gun laws have much to do with the fact that Canada's murder rate is less than 1/3 of the US. Perhaps the exception is the fact that we do not generally carry handguns in our cars or on our person.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Do you not read the posts before you make these statements?
Not all but most.

Quote:
How does the population difference cause the US to have more than three times the murder rate per capita? That stat is not meaningless, and I have no idea why you do not understand it.
Because MOST violent crimes happen in major metro areas & there many more major metro areas per capita in the USA than Canada. We have cities with close to or over 50% of your national population. Stands to reason theres more criminals, gangs, drugs & violence.

Quote:
How are Canada's gun laws draconian? I am allowed to own guns, including handguns, just not fully auto weapons. There are many gun collectors here.
You said it, you are "allowed " to own guns. You get to register them too I think. Whats the proces to buy a handgun?

Quote:
I do not believe that our gun laws have much to do with the fact that Canada's murder rate is less than 1/3 of the US. Perhaps the exception is the fact that we do not generally carry handguns in our cars or on our person.
I'll agree with the first part. I dont think gun control effects crime much at all. But its got nothing to do with carrying them. In the USA people dont generally carry, I do & so do others but not the majority by a long shot.

Anyway I still wouldn't trade.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Here is one of the results of people who pack guns wherever they go.

Los Angeles police investigate the site of a shooting-related accident on the 101 Freeway on March 30. Marlon Gordillo Sical, 20, the driver of the white Honda, died after being shot in the head. At least seven car-to-car shootings in the six weeks prior to this incident have resulted in five deaths and several injuries while bringing commuter corridors to a grinding halt as authorities search for clues.

Road-rage killings strike again - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies