Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Great post! I agree with you. Whoopi was so full of crap in that "explanation" and Elizabeth was crying out of frustration born of SINCERITY. The only naiveity she showed was expecting Whoopi to be consistent and just. Not going to happen. Elizabeth could
make her job a whole lot easier and still make just as much money by sitting there and smiling pleasantly when they talk about "Black issues". She's wasting her sincerity in this arena. She's just the token Republican. I'd do an "Atlas Shrugged" on them and just bow out of those discussions and let them talk to themselves.
I agree, but why was Imus fired, just because of doubles standards? I didn't like what he said, but on the other hand there were also white girls on the team and why was the talk only about the black girls and IMO their hair wasn't looking nice but he should have said it different, the other team was looking much better. I didn't hear Al Sharpton asking to get Jesse jackson off the work he does.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't care for Elizabeth either, I also believe she is pretty nieve and has a myopic view on life.

I missed this episode but I'm glad I was able to see the clip from it.
She's an idiot. I can't stand her. The way she kisses up to Barbara just turns my stomach.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,607 times
i'm sure she would just be heartbroken if she knew you thought she was an idiot. i thought liberals were really open minded....oh wait...they are only open minded to their own views.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal512 View Post
Sorry I'm going to have to call B.S. on this one. I'm a women and I have been called honey, babe, whistled at hollered at and a bunch of other degrading things while in high school, college and jogging with my children in a stroller, in my family oriented neighborhood. I don't ask for some jerk to whistle at me and say "hey babe". I find it offensive and degrading as the type of person I would be interested in attracting would not do that. I am also married with children and not looking. In your rather shallow explanation I should go around with all of my friends, some of which are beautiful and we should call each other babe and cat holler at each other on the street. By doing this we would be "desensitizing" ourselves to the word and therefore gaining control over the word. B.S! Sorry but that is not how it works.
I find it offensive when people use the n word, but I can only control myself and teach my children it is wrong. My problem is either everyone gets to use it or no one gets to use it in a media situation, professional situation, or public situation. I am tired of having Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton cry Racist and then turn around and do the same thing. I am tired of hearing someone had to apologize to an idiot judge in Dallas for using the term "Black Hole" when referring to something getting lost. "Black Hole" is a scientific term for a vacuum where things get lost! I am tired of the reverse racism being carried over the top with these B.S. answers of "hey if you are black you can use the word, but not if you are white." That is reverse racism.
I don't believe the late Martin Luther King Jr. would approve of the use of the n word by anyone for any reason. Here are a few quotes from the late MLK jr. the man of the civil rights movement.

"Discrimination is a hellhound that gnaws at Negroes in every waking moment of their lives to remind them that the lie of their inferiority is accepted as truth in the society dominating them."
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
First of all... Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton DO NOT, I reapeat, DO NOT represent the black community at large. It is rare that I agree with them, and I actually find them to be racist, condescending, hypocrites most times toward whites and even their own black community. Please, don't insult the individual intelligence of black people and compare our ideas with the likes of those two.

Now... I appreciate your response, but you took my PERSONAL feelings on the use of the word, and decided that I SAID you should feel the same way about things you don't like being called? And that infact you should seek out people who want to lambast you in this fashion? Is that what you got out of my reply? Maybe I am not understanding your reply, so I'll ask some questions to clarify before I fully respond.

[1] When have you ever felt compelled to say the word n/gger, and did not or felt you could not act upon it?

[2] If you did act upon it, what reaction did you get? Why did you chose to use that word instead of another?

[3] If you didn't, what word police was forcing you to keep your mouth shut? Did you have some sort of self-conviction that it may be wrong to say?

[4] When did I advise you to put yourself in a situation that makes you uncomfortable or abused by your own friends. I recall saying that the use of the word between me or stangers does not have the power to offend me, unless it is meant to condescend to me. In which, someone calling me an overstuffed pillow could have the same effect.

[5] Why should our own personal feelings of the word be monopolized and dictated my Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.? Do we not have the choice to feel how we want to about its use?

[6] Why do you take it upon yourself to be offended on someone else's behalf? That is very unproductive. If you don't like the way someone speaks, then don't talk to them. I mean... trying to make someone feel bad or ignorant for the way they express themselves is really selfish. You can't just be for banning a word because it doesn't jive with your perfect world. Separate yourself from it, and it won't be an issue.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:10 PM

519 posts, read 1,696,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree, but why was Imus fired, just because of doubles standards? I didn't like what he said, but on the other hand there were also white girls on the team and why was the talk only about the black girls and IMO their hair wasn't looking nice but he should have said it different, the other team was looking much better. I didn't hear Al Sharpton asking to get Jesse jackson off the work he does.
Maybe Imus was trying to act black ...

Old 07-18-2008, 08:14 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,402 times
If black people want to say it and keep demeaning their race and say it's okay I dont care. However why do they get to say things about white people and get away with it? If it was reversed and a white guy said some of the things a black person said about white people he would be be in major trouble. It seems to me some black people use their race as an excuse to be able to say what they want even if it isnt right.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 PM

519 posts, read 1,696,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
First of all... Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton DO NOT, I reapeat, DO NOT represent the black community at large. It is rare that I agree with them, and I actually find them to be racist, condescending, hypocrites most times toward whites and even their own black community. Please, don't insult the individual intelligence of black people and compare our ideas with the likes of those two.
I'm happy to read this. I'm tired of news shows using JJ and AS as mouthpieces for the black community ...

And now CNN is going to have a special broadcast called "Black in America."

Is being black in America still a problem (an honest question), or are news shows trying to create more division?

What ever happened to shows broadcasting the closing gap between blacks and whites? Or the good relationships between the two?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:25 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzter View Post
I'm happy to read this. I'm tired of news shows using JJ and AS as mouthpieces for the black community ...

And now CNN is going to have a special broadcast called "Black in America."

Is being black in America still a problem (an honest question), or are news shows trying to create more division?

What ever happened to shows broadcasting the closing gap between blacks and whites? Or the good relationships between the two?
This is being discussed in another thread, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that they will speak about those 2 subjects.

I think things have come a little too far to create more division, but maybe that's my wishful thinking.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 PM

351 posts, read 336,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post

Now... I appreciate your response, but you took my PERSONAL feelings on the use of the word, and decided that I SAID you should feel the same way about things you don't like being called? And that infact you should seek out people who want to lambast you in this fashion? Is that what you got out of my reply? Maybe I am not understanding your reply, so I'll ask some questions to clarify before I fully respond.

[1] When have you ever felt compelled to say the word n/gger, and did not or felt you could not act upon it?

[2] If you did act upon it, what reaction did you get? Why did you chose to use that word instead of another?

[3] If you didn't, what word police was forcing you to keep your mouth shut? Did you have some sort of self-conviction that it may be wrong to say?

[4] When did I advise you to put yourself in a situation that makes you uncomfortable or abused by your own friends. I recall saying that the use of the word between me or stangers does not have the power to offend me, unless it is meant to condescend to me. In which, someone calling me an overstuffed pillow could have the same effect.

[5] Why should our own personal feelings of the word be monopolized and dictated my Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.? Do we not have the choice to feel how we want to about its use?

[6] Why do you take it upon yourself to be offended on someone else's behalf? That is very unproductive. If you don't like the way someone speaks, then don't talk to them. I mean... trying to make someone feel bad or ignorant for the way they express themselves is really selfish. You can't just be for banning a word because it doesn't jive with your perfect world. Separate yourself from it, and it won't be an issue.
In your first post you spoke of becoming "desensitized" to a word by using that word yourself in essence taking control of the word.

A lot of gays call each other "f.a.g" in conversation as a means of comic relief and familiarity. Gays are called that word almost everyday of their life. Once someone decides that they will not allow themselves to be defined and demonized by a word, they become desensitized to it. Again, it is more about the casual and IRONIC USE of the word between PEOPLE OF A COMMON CIRCUMSTANCE.

I'll say it again your shallow explanation is BS! Where in my post do you find that I have ever used the word? The statement about controlling myself is just that I find the word offensive because of the history that goes along with it and therefore I choose not to use. I've never wanted to use it. My children have not been around a lot of minorities other than Hispanic but they have not singled any child out due to being Indian, Asian, Arab, or Black. I chalk that up to my not seeing differences so they don't see differences. The fact that I grew up in a foreign country I'm sure played the biggest role as being an American in Saudi was not fun. My older child has started pointing out all the overweight people and we are working on that one. Your questions do nothing to help your cause or to diminish my response. The word carries years of hate, murder, torture, rape, oppression, and fear behind it. Let us not forget it was not only the freed slaves who were killed, it was a president and people who moved to the south to help to support the newly freed slaves. I find it difficult to understand how that would not offend everyone.
[quote]I mean... trying to make someone feel bad or ignorant for the way they express themselves is really selfish.[QUOTE]
If you feel bad or ignorant due to the use of the word those are your feelings don't put them on me. Calling me selfish for thinking of how many children and women were beaten and victimized because of how someone viewed their servitude in this world is simply wrong. I've not said don't use the word. I've said it should be all or nothing. I believe you have these feelings because you know it is wrong and you are trying to pin the blame on me. As I said before I can't control everyone nor do I want to, but I also will not sit by and not call out your frivolous explanation. The word should either be okay for everyone in the media, and public forum or it should be okay for no one. To allow it for some and not others is racism just as allowing some the right to vote but not others was racism.
If Jackson and Sharpton don't speak for the community then why does the community not stand together against Jackson and Sharpton on their hypocrisy and reverse racism? They are only two people after all it would not be difficult to rise to the occasion to put an end to blame and hate mongering.

Last edited by hal512; 07-18-2008 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 08:52 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal512 View Post
In your first post you spoke of becoming "desensitized" to a word by using that word yourself in essence taking control of the word.

A lot of gays call each other "f.a.g" in conversation as a means of comic relief and familiarity. Gays are called that word almost everyday of their life. Once someone decides that they will not allow themselves to be defined and demonized by a word, they become desensitized to it. Again, it is more about the casual and IRONIC USE of the word between PEOPLE OF A COMMON CIRCUMSTANCE.

I'll say it again your shallow explanation is BS! Where in my post do you find that I have ever used the word? The statement about controlling myself is just that I find the word offensive because of the history that goes along with it and therefore I choose not to use. I've never wanted to use it. My children have not been around a lot of minorities other than Hispanic but they have not singled any child out due to being Indian, Asian, Arab, or Black. I chalk that up to my not seeing differences so they don't see differences. The fact that I grew up in a foreign country I'm sure played the biggest role as being an American in Saudi was not fun. My older child has started pointing out all the overweight people and we are working on that one. Your questions do nothing to help your cause or to diminish my response. The word carries years of hate, murder, torture, rape, oppression, and fear behind it. Let us not forget it was not only the freed slaves who were killed, it was a president and people who moved to the south to help to support the newly freed slaves. I find it difficult to understand how that would not offend everyone. As I said before I can't control everyone nor do I want to, but I also will not sit by and not call out your frivolous explanation. The word should either be okay for everyone in the media, and public forum or it should be okay for no one. To allow it for some and not others is racism just as allowing some the right to vote but not others was racism.
If Jackson and Sharpton don't speak for the community then why does the community not stand together against Jackson and Sharpton on their hypocrisy and reverse racism? They are only two people after all it would not be difficult to rise to the occasion to put an end to blame and hate mongering.
Well, if you found my post shallow, it wasn't for a lack of trying. If you've read my posts they were not accusative, and in fact, I even ASKED people to ask me questions if it wasn't clear. I offered my own opinion as a half black person. I didn't really leave much room for you to interpret the things you did.

And what was your first response to me? Your Expanation is BULLZHIT? What qualifies you to diagnose or negate my feelings, that I clearly said only speak for me? I asked you those specific questoin only to get an understanding of your very strong opinion about something that really does not even effect you.

I can't see why it is such an issue for you if you don't even feel the inclanation to use the word? This is what I mean about being self-riteous. You wanting to dictate how each and every person interacts. It is childish of you to expect everyone to live by your standards.

I know you aren't attacking me, but why are you so offended by the notion that I don't have a problem with the word? You are taking it upon yourself to be offended on my behalf - which is causing your own frustration. Again, self-riteous.

As for Jackson and Sharpton... They are free to continue with their antics as usual. I stand against them by not supporting any of their endeavors. They are free to do as they wish, and at every opportunity, I make it a point to say they don't speak for me. That's just like saying Bush represents the thoughts of all Americans. What are you going to do about it? I'm going to not support his ass is what I'm going to do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies