Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

I can remenber a time that a politican was called a racist for saying "you people". most the time it not waht is being said in black politics ;it is whop said it and is he .she looked on as a enemy.Jackson and Sharpton are seldom critized by blacks and to white they represent black ploics in this country.Ids Jackson going to pay any cost like Imus did or did Sharpton pay a cost when he for the raped black girl drama he caused before anyhting had been investiagted no;blacks still supported him and he speaks to the NAACP to satnd ovations just as Wright did.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:07 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,278 times
People, please use the phrase "some blacks" or "in my opinion." I am black, and not a supporter of these two. I can't say that even the majority of the blacks I know agree with the hateful and opportunistc tactics of Sharpton and Jackson. For some reason, they have appointed themselves to make every white person pay for what happened to blacks in the past. They are a joke to me.

If whites feel so insecure and in need of being politically correct that they need to kiss the backside of these two, who am I to stop them? White guilt is why these two still exist. Not black support, IMHO.

Please use "some" liberally. Blacks are a very diverse group of opinions. I would never say that Jerry Falwell and Fred Phelps represent the Christian perspective. Or that Bush represents the American perspective. You guys should sit down and talk to black people some time. We are not as one sided or ass backwards as these two makes us look.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
Quote:
If Jackson and Sharpton don't speak for the community then why does the community not stand together against Jackson and Sharpton on their hypocrisy and reverse racism? They are only two people after all it would not be difficult to rise to the occasion to put an end to blame and hate mongering.
Too busy working and living our lives. It's not blacks giving them their "power" or a forum from which to speak. BTW, I don't see whites banning together and holding media events to stand against other whites that make racist statements like when Bill Bennett declared "you wanted to reduce crime, you could abort every black baby in this country". That's a crazy expectation. Most whites dismissed the comments and said he doesn't speak for us. It's unrealistic to burden a whole group for the beliefs of a couple of people - and you make the same argument when slavery comes up. Now to repeat for the one zillionth time (as other blacks have on CD), Jesse and Al don't speak for all blacks or even most - Get It!

P.S. Everyone is always bringing up Imus. Blame his firing on CBS and their fear of losing ad dollars from corporate America since they are the ones that gave all this power to Jesse and Al.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 PM

351 posts, read 336,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Well, if you found my post shallow, it wasn't for a lack of trying. If you've read my posts they were not accusative, and in fact, I even ASKED people to ask me questions if it wasn't clear. I offered my own opinion as a half black person. I didn't really leave much room for you to interpret the things you did.

And what was your first response to me? Your Expanation is BULLZHIT? What qualifies you to diagnose or negate my feelings, that I clearly said only speak for me? I asked you those specific questoin only to get an understanding of your very strong opinion about something that really does not even effect you.

I can't see why it is such an issue for you if you don't even feel the inclanation to use the word? This is what I mean about being self-riteous. You wanting to dictate how each and every person interacts. It is childish of you to expect everyone to live by your standards.

I know you aren't attacking me, but why are you so offended by the notion that I don't have a problem with the word? You are taking it upon yourself to be offended on my behalf - which is causing your own frustration. Again, self-riteous.
You must be very young. It is not about being selfish or self righteous; it is about the torture of many Americans. I'm sorry that seems to mean nothing to you, but to me and 99.9% of the country it means a great deal. I'm sorry for you that a word means more to you than President Abe Lincoln who lost his life for his belief in freedom of the slaves. He was a great leader and a man of great vision to be able to lay the footwork of Reconstruction that unified our country after the civil war. You lack the fortitude for your opinion and so you now chose to blame me. Racism affects everyone in this country not just you. I find it sad that you don't have a problem with the word does that offend me no I find it sad. I'm not asking you to stop using it I will again for the third time say in a media or public forum the word should either be okay for all or okay for none. To be told I can't say the word because I'm white but a black person can say the word because they are black is racism. Just as it was racism to not allow all Americans to vote or all Americans to sit at the front of the bus, eat at the lunch counter, use the same restroom, drink from the same water fountain. Take a look at the other threads other posts and see what people are saying. Two people have agreed with me on this thread alone who has agreed with you?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal512 View Post
You must be very young. It is not about being selfish or self righteous; it is about the torture of many Americans. I'm sorry that seems to mean nothing to you, but to me and 99.9% of the country it means a great deal. I'm sorry for you that a word means more to you than President Abe Lincoln who lost his life for his belief in freedom of the slaves. He was a great leader and a man of great vision to be able to lay the footwork of Reconstruction that unified our country after the civil war. You lack the fortitude for your opinion and so you now chose to blame me. Racism affects everyone in this country not just you. I find it sad that you don't have a problem with the word does that offend me no I find it sad. I'm not asking you to stop using it I will again for the third time say in a media or public forum the word should either be okay for all or okay for none. To be told I can't say the word because I'm white but a black person can say the word because they are black is racism. Just as it was racism to not allow all Americans to vote or all Americans to sit at the front of the bus, eat at the lunch counter, use the same restroom, drink from the same water fountain.
There you go again, taking it upon yourself to be sorry on my behalf. You feel sorry for me? A word means more to me than President Abe Lincoln? WTF? Where are you getting this stuff from?

I think we should call it quits because you aren't even trying. I have extended my hand in earnest several times, but I just give up now. Please, hold strong to your opinion. It was never my intention to change it in the first place. I was trying to give you a piece of my world (you know, actually living the black experience) but that is not good enough for you.

And actually, only 85% of Amerians agree with you http://www.harrisinteractive.com/har...ex.asp?PID=784
And no matter how large the percentage, they still don't think or speak for me.

I don't need anyone to agree with me, given I have only been speaking for myself. Mass agreement doesn't make something right. We can all say the sky is purple, doesn't mean that it is. Ad numerum fallacy doesn't make you right.

Last edited by gradco2004; 07-18-2008 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar317 View Post
I read on other places that they don't speak for the black community but they have droves of followers behind them when they march. So what gives?
If you are Christian, does Fred Phelps speak for you?

If you are Muslim, does Bin Laden speak for you?

If you are Republican, does Ann Coulter speak for you?

... difference of opinion is what gives. Unless you have seen EVERY black person in America behind these two at rallies, please don't insult us by lumping us all in with them. Every sect has its followers, but they don't speak for everyone.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:04 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
[quote=hal512;4515523]In your first post you spoke of becoming "desensitized" to a word by using that word yourself in essence taking control of the word.

A lot of gays call each other "f.a.g" in conversation as a means of comic relief and familiarity. Gays are called that word almost everyday of their life. Once someone decides that they will not allow themselves to be defined and demonized by a word, they become desensitized to it. Again, it is more about the casual and IRONIC USE of the word between PEOPLE OF A COMMON CIRCUMSTANCE.

I'll say it again your shallow explanation is BS! Where in my post do you find that I have ever used the word? The statement about controlling myself is just that I find the word offensive because of the history that goes along with it and therefore I choose not to use. I've never wanted to use it. My children have not been around a lot of minorities other than Hispanic but they have not singled any child out due to being Indian, Asian, Arab, or Black. I chalk that up to my not seeing differences so they don't see differences. The fact that I grew up in a foreign country I'm sure played the biggest role as being an American in Saudi was not fun. My older child has started pointing out all the overweight people and we are working on that one. Your questions do nothing to help your cause or to diminish my response. The word carries years of hate, murder, torture, rape, oppression, and fear behind it. Let us not forget it was not only the freed slaves who were killed, it was a president and people who moved to the south to help to support the newly freed slaves. I find it difficult to understand how that would not offend everyone.
Quote:
I mean... trying to make someone feel bad or ignorant for the way they express themselves is really selfish.[QUOTE]
If you feel bad or ignorant due to the use of the word those are your feelings don't put them on me. Calling me selfish for thinking of how many children and women were beaten and victimized because of how someone viewed their servitude in this world is simply wrong. I've not said don't use the word. I've said it should be all or nothing. I believe you have these feelings because you know it is wrong and you are trying to pin the blame on me. As I said before I can't control everyone nor do I want to, but I also will not sit by and not call out your frivolous explanation. The word should either be okay for everyone in the media, and public forum or it should be okay for no one. To allow it for some and not others is racism just as allowing some the right to vote but not others was racism.
If Jackson and Sharpton don't speak for the community then why does the community not stand together against Jackson and Sharpton on their hypocrisy and reverse racism? They are only two people after all it would not be difficult to rise to the occasion to put an end to blame and hate mongering.
Bravo! Standing Ovation! Throwing roses at your feet!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:12 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,520 times
When I first move to Texas, A freind and I were jogging when some guys in a pick-up truck drove by and yelled "Run N******". I just stopped running and started laughing. My freind got mad and asked how I could laugh when those people thought that they were better then me. I told him that they thought they were better then him and they weren't talking to me. Saturdays are when the men in the neighborhood in which I live, mow their lawns (those that don't have a service) and get together and gossip like women in a sewing circle. That Saturday, the guys told me about the history of the South and that I should be outraged. I heard it all for more than two hours without a reply. Finally I said that I didn't know and didn't care about those guys in the truck and that those guys weren't good enough to call me that. One guy asked me who was good enough to call me that. I told him that all of my white freinds were good enough to call me that but that none of them ever would. With that, I walked away and went back to sweeping my clippings. They stayed mad at me for months. IMO - Too many people keep picking at scabs from the past and expect them to heal.
Too bad there wasn't more info on the link. I think that Whoopi and Elizabeth both do a good job of stating their views. I'm sure that they're still freinds. Much like this site - It's more about learning than teaching.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 PM

108 posts, read 351,111 times
Quote:
I can not speak for all or even most black people, just myself. I have to side with Whoopi. A word will have the meaning you give it. In my household, I grew up hearing the word used in anecdotes by my black parent. It was always used in the context of "person." Never holding any damning or redeeming value. Mind you... it was always n/gga and not n/gger. For some reason, there is an unspoken difference between the two.
so if a white person where to use the term but pronounce it "n/gga" it would be ok? Somehow I think that the white person would still be considered racist/prejudiced, which presents itself as a double standard. it seems to be continually pointed out to white society that there is a double standard between how whites and African-Americans are treated, that whites need to be very cognizant of what they say, but then to hear that it is ok to use that language, but only if one is of the same race smacks of hipocracy. I am not advocating that it is ok to use it as a racial slur, but allow that maybe it could be used to refer a particular section of the African-American society, much like Chris Rock does in one of his stand up routines, just as white trash/trailer trash refers to a particular type or group of white society.

it would just seem that if African-Americans want to assure that this word eventually dies of its own accord from the American vocabulary, except possibly for historical references, then, they, as a group, should probably stop using it also.

Quote:
It is easy to over-simplify the logistics of determining how someone is using the word with you. I am not for banning any words. However people chose to express themselves is their business. It is my business to determine whether I will stand around and listen to it or not. As a child, I was conditioned to feel a certain amount of distrust of people who used n/gger that were not black. So, although it does not really bother me now that I am grown, it still catches my attention, and can make me feel out of place at times.

Black people using the word is more acceptible because it is ironic I guess? Kind of like a wheelchair bound person saying, " You ole' handicap so and so." It's like the irony negates any condescending value the word may have between two people of the same circumstance. Over time, it just becomes familiar and holds no power. I know that may be hard for some of you to understand, but that is the best I can explain it. If there is anyway I can make my point of view clearer, please let me know.
i think the description of why you feel it is more acceptable for Black people to use the word is probably one of the best i have heard.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
Thumbs down Can people really be this obtuse?

Quote:
Rev. Jackson and Sharpton are low lifes who seek out fame on the misaccusations of others. I read on other places that they don't speak for the black community but they have droves of followers behind them when they march. So what gives?
Last I checked there were over 32 million black people living in the U.S. Please post some recent pictures of these rallys with the black majority following behind them. They haven't attracted thousands to their marches in years and guess what, not everyone that participate in these protest marches are black. Besides that, many in the crowd attend their churches, are members of Rainbow Push, or they are hanging out for photo ops. Wake up and recognize media spin! BTW, the KKK has droves of followers as well. So what gives?

Quote:
If you are Christian, does Fred Phelps speak for you?

If you are Muslim, does Bin Laden speak for you?

If you are Republican, does Ann Coulter speak for you?

... difference of opinion is what gives. Unless you have seen EVERY black person in America behind these two at rallies, please don't insult us by lumping us all in with them. Every sect has its followers, but they don't speak for everyone.
Exactly! Nancy nor Hillary speak for all Democratic women, etc. Good grief! The ignorance is profound. People can't be this obtuse so I can only assume the goal is to annoy just to keep an argument going.

Last but not least. I hope an equal amount of outrage and rhetoric (regarding blacks using the N-word on each other) is applied to the greater issues going on in this country. While it would be nice to end the use of the N-word, it's not the cause for the disparity between blacks and other groups in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies