Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
Then if I read you correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it's perfectly alright in your opinion then to take a life when the pregnant woman just doesn't feel like giving birth to the child for whatever "planned" reason she puts forth. Is it conceivable that the "unwanted parasite" could be wanted by a couple incapable of conceiving a child on their own? Is it possible that even if the baby were to be born into less than desirable economic conditions, that he/she could not grow up to make great accomplishments in society? If you compare forcing a woman to "carry a fetus" that she does not want with terminating a life, are you really going to tip the scales in favor an impulse (ie, the desire not to carry a child) over what many argue is human life?

The desire not to carry a child is neither a whim or impulse. It is often an agonising decision. Demeaning a pregnant woman by demanding that she make her private life open to the scrutiny of others, by forcing her to justify her choices to complete strangers, by sitting in judgment on her without any real empathy, is insulting and painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,008,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
There is no case for making abortion a responsible choice. Unless they are a victim of a crime.

Responsibility and maturity would be not getting pregnant to begin with.
So now we are defining killing the fetus as a responsible and mature choice?
What is wrong with people these days? They can't even admit that getting into the situation is immature and irresponsible?

No, it is the reality. Don't want it, then kill it. And then tell them they are being responsible and mature?

No wonder our country is going down the tubes.
You just want to attack someone don't you?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:16 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,050,893 times
Quote:
There is no case for making abortion a responsible choice. Unless they are a victim of a crime.
That is your opinion.

Quote:
Responsibility and maturity would be not getting pregnant to begin with.
Again, your opinion.

Quote:
So now we are defining killing the fetus as a responsible and mature choice?
Been doing that for years.

Quote:
What is wrong with people these days? They can't even admit that getting into the situation is immature and irresponsible?
It might've been an irresponsible choice to get into the situation, but a responsible one to get out of it.

Quote:
No, it is the reality. Don't want it, then kill it. And then tell them they are being responsible and mature?
You make it sound like it's like a day at the amusement park. It's not. And yes, if they don't want it, then they can kill it. It is as mature and responsible as giving the child up to an already overcrowded adoption system.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,735,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
You just want to attack someone don't you?
Absolutely not. Abortion should be called what it is.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
And this makes me question; If life only begins where the sperm and egg meet, are the sperm and egg separately alive?
Techically, yes.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 AM

105 posts, read 229,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
However, I personally don't respect someone's rights simply because they are human. Respect is earned, not given. My personal beliefs hold the already existing and full grown human over the one who can't even live on its own yet. Like I said, until such a time comes where the fetus can be transferred to an artificial womb, a woman should never be forced to bear a child.
Certain rights are said to be inalienable because one is a human - life, liberty, pursuit of happiness. Do I respect everyone I get to know? No, I don't. Either for continuously egregious, immoral, or cowardly behavior on a person's part, there are certain people I don't respect. But that lack of respect on my part towards them shouldn't manifest itself in me taking that person's life.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
Certain rights are said to be inalienable because one is a human - life, liberty, pursuit of happiness. Do I respect everyone I get to know? No, I don't. Either for continuously egregious, immoral, or cowardly behavior on a person's part, there are certain people I don't respect. But that lack of respect on my part towards them shouldn't manifest itself in me taking that person's life.

However, those rights are only granted to the born. That's the difference here.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,008,076 times
Quote:
Techically, yes.
Ok, so I wonder why so many opponents of abortion aren't protesting females for having their periods or guys for "rubbing one off"

Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,735,192 times
Quote:
That is your opinion.

Again, your opinion.

Been doing that for years.

It might've been an irresponsible choice to get into the situation, but a responsible one to get out of it.

You make it sound like it's like a day at the amusement park. It's not. And yes, if they don't want it, then they can kill it. It is as mature and responsible as giving the child up to an already overcrowded adoption system.

"Responsibility and maturity would be not getting pregnant to begin with. "
Opinion?!?!?!?! What in the world? That's called common sense. Who in there right mind could possibly argue that? You can't.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
1. You're dead wrong. Abortion isn't responsible in any definition of the word. Abortion is one of the most absolutely irresponsible things one can do. Responsible would be thinking about it beforehand and deciding not to do it if you're not willing to deal with the consequences.

2. Whether sex is or isn't an important part of the relationship doesn't matter. The fact is if one is not mature enough to handle the consequences they shouldn't be doing it.

3. That's not what I see it as, it's the reality.
1. You seem to think responsible is thinking about it the same way you do, and deciding the way you want them to decide. Even if deciding that way profoundly changes their life, which it will. But if they don't agree with you, they must be irresponsible?

2. Again, maturity is achieved only when they arrive at the point when their values and choices agree with yours? Otherwise, if they decide differently than you, they are immature and irresponsible. And does this include the men that are having sex but don't want a child? Because the path this line of reasoning is following leads to outlawing sex unless it's expressly for procreation.

3. Your reality, which can be dramatically different from other peoples' realities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies