Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

The American Medical Association on Thursday issued a formal apology for more than a century of discriminatory policies that excluded blacks from participating in a group long considered the voice of U.S. doctors.

The apology stems from initiatives at the nation's largest doctors' group to reduce racial disparities in medicine — from the paltry number of black physicians to the disproportionate burden of disease among blacks and other minorities.

AMA Apologizes to Black Doctors for Past Racism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
This is all fine and dandy, as long as the NBA and NFL appologize for hiring a disproportionate amount of black people.

It goes both ways.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:40 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Good for them. As for the reply, I'd like to see what discriminatory policies exclude whites from taking part in the NBA, that the organization would need to apologize for.

Seems like apples and oranges to me.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:22 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
The day that black people apologize for a random black person committing a crime is the same day I will apologize for the actions of white people in the past I never knew.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:36 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
this is right up there with when they apologize for slavery on my behalf. I am not sorry for slavery. I never owned slaves. my family was in sicily during the time of slavery. oh well, glad someone is there to apologize on my behalf for something I didn't do. good god. if we keep up with the apologies, what will jackson and sharpton whine about?

Last edited by jmarquise; 07-18-2008 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
More silliness. Good grief. Don't we ever get enough of this? When will black folks finally say "Okay, Okay! It's okay, we forgive you for what your ancestors may or may not have done. Let's move on".

Old 07-18-2008, 02:47 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The day that black people apologize for a random black person committing a crime is the same day I will apologize for the actions of white people in the past I never knew.
I don't see anything in this article that says that all white people have to apologize for what has happened in the past. It says that the AMA is apologizing for its past practices.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Why are some people on here upset that this organization apologized? No one demanded it, they decided it was the right thing to do. I also don't see how this affects any of you in terms of requesting your apology. I suppose you were annoyed when Germany apologized to the jews who endured the concentration camps?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
More silliness. Good grief. Don't we ever get enough of this? When will black folks finally say "Okay, Okay! It's okay, we forgive you for what your ancestors may or may not have done. Let's move on".
What makes you think that didn't happen? The article says the apology stems from initiatives to reduce racial disparities. That doesn't sound like forcing an apology for the past to me. It sounds like the groups were saying: here is the problem, how do we address it. If the AMA felt that apologizing would help, that was their choice.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Why are some people on here upset that this organization apologized? No one demanded it, they decided it was the right thing to do. I also don't see how this affects any of you in terms of requesting your apology. I suppose you were annoyed when Germany apologized to the jews who endured the concentration camps?
<cricket>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies