Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:17 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,636,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Can I ask a question? I'm not trying to incite anger or anything but do those of you arguing that black men not being fathers to their children is not a problem really believe that???? I only know a handful of black kids who have 2 parents involved in their lives whether they are married or not. Most of the girls (black or white) I know who have children with black men were left high and dry as soon as the seed was sown. And the sad part is so many young black men have several babies with different women. Do you really not see this as a problem? I'm not saying single mothers can't or don't do a good job. My question is why is it so accepted within the black culture? Why is ok for the men to walk away from their responsibilities time and time again? I know white men do it too but you can't deny you see it more in the black community. Thanks for any insight. Reading this thread has been eye opening.
I don't think its so much accepted as it is that women adapted to the situation, did the best they could...and in some cases were successful. That makes other women look at the successful situations and get empowered.

I do think that 2 parents are important. One of the panelists on the show mentioned that many black men didn't have the example of how to be in a relationship, etc so the cycle is repeated.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:43 PM

231 posts, read 156,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
What are the characteristics of a father?
Whatever white people say it is, that's what.

My dad and his brother were raised in a single parent household, and surprise, surprise - they both turned out to be excellent fathers. My mother remarried when I was three, so my dad took responsibility for some other man's kid. (What was that about marriage being permanent again? Yeah, whatever.) My uncle (who's seven years older than me) had one of those OMGEVILDOOMED out of wedlock babies, but he never missed a child support payment, not even when his girlfriend took his daughter and disappeared for ELEVEN YEARS. He said that he wanted it on the record that he never skipped out on his responsibility to his daughter. Her mother finally came around, and she came back into his life at 13. By then, my uncle was married with two kids of his own. He took his ex to court and got joint custody so she couldn't pull another stunt like she did.

My point is that when you count statistics, you tend to leave off a lot. I was born in wedlock. My uncle's daughter was not. So was I supposed to have the better, more stable life, just because of that? Because I damn sure didn't. My biological father turned out to be a cad. My uncle turned out to be a caring father who did what he had to do while his heart was breaking. But all the statistics would've said is that my uncle had an out of wedlock baby, the end. They say nothing of his search to find her, of the payments every month, the reconciliation (if you want to call it that). They're too busy trying to paint him as another sorry brother. Luckily, my dad and my uncle don't fall for that BS, and neither do I.

Quote:
Could you please stop attacking others. Is this really necessary? I did request although it does not have to be granted-an intellectual discourse. You may speak your truth as you see it, but the name calling is disturbing.
Then you live a very cushy life if what I say gives you the vapors. When people twist my words to say stupid ****, I'm going to call them on it. If somebody says I don't think that white women can be not racist when my mother-in-law is from IRELAND, that person is an IDIOT. If someone tells me that I don't believe in interracial relationships when my fiancee is half Irish and half Jamaican, that person will be severely mocked. My advice? It's your thread, YOU try curbing the stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrun View Post
Republicans get the poor white vote in every election. But nobody never says they're being brainwashed by conservatives.
THANK YOU. It's always black people being held under a microscope for everything we do, and I'm getting tired of it. Why do white kids drink so much? Why are white men molesting kids left and right? Why are white women banging all the young boys in school? Why do white people steal so goddamn much? Why don't they wash their hands when they come out of the bathroom? When CNN starts talking about that, let me know.

Last edited by JHusseinMoore; 07-21-2008 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,336,629 times
Black Women?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 PM

37 posts, read 45,362 times
The biggest problem in the black community is the inablity to move on. Instead of focusing on slavery, although it was a horrible travesty that will forver mar america's history, they should focus on education, on securing a job, on religon, on anything postive that keeps them moving foward. I'm not saying forget about slavery and pretend it never happend because it did happen and it was horrible but if you always focus on the negative and make excuses for yourself how are you gonna move foward? Also none of the african american youth today lived through slavery or the civil rights movement so they can't use that as an excuse to justify bad life choices.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 PM

37 posts, read 45,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHusseinMoore View Post
Whatever white people say it is, that's what.

My dad and his brother were raised in a single parent household, and surprise, surprise - they both turned out to be excellent fathers. My mother remarried when I was three, so my dad took responsibility for some other man's kid. (What was that about marriage being permanent again? Yeah, whatever.) My uncle (who's seven years older than me) had one of those OMGEVILDOOMED out of wedlock babies, but he never missed a child support payment, not even when his girlfriend took his daughter and disappeared for ELEVEN YEARS. He said that he wanted it on the record that he never skipped out on his responsibility to his daughter. Her mother finally came around, and she came back into his life at 13. By then, my uncle was married with two kids of his own. He took his ex to court and got joint custody so she couldn't pull another stunt like she did.

My point is that when you count statistics, you tend to leave off a lot. I was born in wedlock. My uncle's daughter was not. So was I supposed to have the better, more stable life, just because of that? Because I damn sure didn't. My biological father turned out to be a cad. My uncle turned out to be a caring father who did what he had to do while his heart was breaking. But all the statistics would've said is that my uncle had an out of wedlock baby, the end. They say nothing of his search to find her, of the payments every month, the reconciliation (if you want to call it that). They're too busy trying to paint him as another sorry brother. Luckily, my dad and my uncle don't fall for that BS, and neither do I.

Then you live a very cushy life if what I say gives you the vapors. When people twist my words to say stupid ****, I'm going to call them on it. If somebody says I don't think that white women can be not racist when my mother-in-law is from IRELAND, that person is an IDIOT. If someone tells me that I don't believe in interracial relationships when my fiancee is half Irish and half Jamaican, that person will be severely mocked. My advice? It's your thread, YOU try curbing the stupid.

THANK YOU. It's always black people being held under a microscope for everything we do, and I'm getting tired of it. Why do white kids drink so much? Why are white men molesting kids left and right? Why are white women banging all the young boys in school? Why do white people steal so goddamn much? Why don't they wash their hands when they come out of the bathroom? When CNN starts talking about that, let me know.
I cannot believe you're post didn't get erased for racsim/trolling. The reason people are focusing on issues in the black community is because this is the topic of the thread. Calm down, no one is attacking you, this a forum and people are supposed to discuss topics and their personal opinons.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:24 PM

231 posts, read 156,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-TownTX 713 View Post
I cannot believe you're post didn't get erased for racsim/trolling.
Give it time.

Quote:
Calm down
What are you going to do if I don't? Go on, hit that little triangle in your upper right hand corner and tattle so I don't have to be bothered with you.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,308,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The number one problem for black men is exactly the same as the number one problem for white men. ....Women......

No, just being funny. EDUCATION is the number one problem for all men. You have to start off early in elementary school, and work hard right up through high school. It's possible to get a good job without college, but if you don't have a basic education, it's impossible to amount to anything no matter what color you are. .
Well the problem with the education system is that the current method of teaching was created during the feminist period, in which the goal was to get more women in college. Thus, teaching methods were altered to benefit women/girls specifically. As a result, males started dropping in educational attainment.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,541,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Well the problem with the education system is that the current method of teaching was created during the feminist period, in which the goal was to get more women in college. Thus, teaching methods were altered to benefit women/girls specifically. As a result, males started dropping in educational attainment.
There are currently some concerns by both black and white men about their son's educational endeavors with girls in the classrooms. These men are advocating for the classrooms to be gender specific. I will have to take some time to locate this article, but when I do I will post it for you to view.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,519,438 times
Quote:
CNN will air on Thursday night this week the ongoing problem and the successes that black men are experiencing here in America. What do you believe is the number one problem for black men here in America? What are some of his greatest successes currently? Once again please do not hijack the thread and please be respectful of one another-if you can. I do not want my threads shut down again. Expecting truthfulness, but also would appreciate an intellectual discourse if that is possible.
#1 problem for Black men in America: White people.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,949,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-TownTX 713 View Post
The biggest problem in the black community is the inablity to move on. Instead of focusing on slavery, although it was a horrible travesty that will forver mar america's history, they should focus on education, on securing a job, on religon, on anything postive that keeps them moving foward. I'm not saying forget about slavery and pretend it never happend because it did happen and it was horrible but if you always focus on the negative and make excuses for yourself how are you gonna move foward? Also none of the african american youth today lived through slavery or the civil rights movement so they can't use that as an excuse to justify bad life choices.
I find it very interesting that Black people seem to be the only race of people in this country who are constantly to forget about or in this case "not focus on" (whatever that means) the history of their ancestors and slavery. I bet H=town doesn't have a problem with the Irish, Germans, Jews, and others "focusing on" the history of the Europeans arriving at Ellis Island; or the Jews constantly "focusing on" the Holocaust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.