Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 AM

194 posts, read 529,526 times

Advertisements

Majority of the people are welfare are single white mother's. Majority of the people on medicaid are poor white kids from single white mothers. There are plenty more trailer parks and rural areas than inner cities, or barrios. But yet when people think of the poor. They think of the inner city automatically. I think that has alot to do with the images in the media. When people think of welfare its not white mothers. I say this because growing up in georgia when i was younger. Alot of those poor whites felt like nobody ever talked about their struggle. It was always about the blacks or hispanics in the inner cities. Even though they were even poorer alot of the times. The always talked about how the media never gave their situation any attention. It was always about other races. I had friends who never have seen there dad before in their life. And always wondered why nobody ever talk about single mothers or problems in the white community. They say the media loves to focus on black father's on black single moms. I have heard the same thing from white single mothers. That more attention needs to be paid to their situation. My friend's have said time and time again. Im getting tired of hearing about other races who are poor. What about us come help us. Why is this. Why doesn't the media or society at large focus on poor or low income whites. Even when people talk about school vouchers. Its never about low income whites. Its always targeted to blacks or hispanics. There are millions of more poor or low incoem whites than blacks or hispanics. These are americans too how come they don't get the same attention. As other races underclass. West virginia has some of the poorest counties in the united states. And all those people who live there are white. Do white's out there who are struggling feel the same way. Do white single mother's feel more attention needs to be paid to absent white father's. Do you feel the media and society needs to talk about your struggle instead of always focusing on other races. I was just wondering. Because i hear this alot. What about us im poor come help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
This is a very interesting subject. I think you don't hear about it b/c most minorities believe all white people have money. If the MSM gave this any attention, those minorities would be screaming what about us. And I also believe that a lot of white folks have their heads in the sand and don't realize exactly how many poor white people are out there. That is why I'm picky about where I donate my money. I refuse to give money to other countries when we have people in need all of the US. What you said about WV is so true. On AI Gives Back they showed a family that lived out in no man's land. The parents couldn't read at all. The oldest child had started school and was teaching them how to read. So very sad. I think we all need to realize that while the world has problems, we would do well to take care of our own right here in the US whether they are white, black, Hispanic, etc.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
do you have any sources for your information about the percentages of poor among the nationalities?

either way, you certainly have a point that there is a large number of poor among whites. but i don't think that i have ever heard anyone saying otherwise.

i think that part of the reason that certain minority groups get more attention is the percentage of poor among that particular minority group, as opposed to the percentage of poor among whites.

these are made-up numbers in my head, but walk with me here. which one do you think would cause more concern and controversy: 89% employment and general comfort, and 11% unemployment and discomfort among one group, or 62% employment, and 38% unemployment among another?

now add in the factors that whether actual truth, or conspiracy-theorist fiction, lare percentages of the populace believe that the minority group--with the higher percentages of poor--has been purposefully stomped into poverty and submission. that will give them even more media (and by extension, government) attention.

there are probably a billion other factors as well, but my brain is small, narrowly focused, and i am starving. anyway, that is my immediate brainstorm on the subject.

i think that poverty is sad, and i think that one of the primary reasons that it is sad is that it could be alleviated so much if our systems were actually set up to help people, rather than to bribe government officials and pad the wallets of those that are already ridiculously rich.

aaron out.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
...not to mention the perception that whites are automatically priveleged by being born white. So they tend not to get as much attention or sympathy, in spite of the reality that their poverty is every bit as bad as that of another race.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,089 times
I couldn't agree with you more. I use to live in indiana and those white's felt exactly the same way in what the original op is describing. You don't know how many times i have heard those same exact statements. Why does the media always talk about black absent fathers as opposed to white absent dads. Why does the media always focus on the poor who are black and hispanic. As opposed to whites who are poor. Its kind of sad when you think of it. This feeds into the image that whites all have money and have it easy in america. When alot of them definitely don't have money and have it easy. Just look at eminem for example. Grew up dirt poor in the trailer parks in detroit, michigan. Majority of the people on welfare are white single mom's. Because whites are 67% of the population. So of course there are millions of more poor whites than blacks and hispanics. But i don't know about the percentages on welfare. This is a intresting topic i look forward to what others have to say. I know in indiana most of those whites were mad as heck. When all they heard about was how bad poor people in other races had it as opposed to them.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
I invite your attention to a couple of URLs:

The Poor White
Race: Working Class Whites

Interesting reads on Poor Whites. If you'll google "poor whites", there is a plethora of information out there.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:32 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
This is a very interesting subject. I think you don't hear about it b/c most minorities believe all white people have money. If the MSM gave this any attention, those minorities would be screaming what about us.
Really? Minorities believe that? I wonder why I've seen so many minorities on this forum point out that white people benefit from AA and social programs too? Maybe I was reading the posts wrong.

I think the biggest misconception with this is that the media doesn't like to broadcast poor white people. They have no problem running stories on poor black people, but when they do them for white people they have to be poor because an airplane fell on their house and dad broke his back trying to save a baby elephant and mom can’t work because she has to stay home and care for her disabled child that the state won’t provide medical coverage for. It’s like they have to give a reason for white people being poor, but other races are poor just because.

I’m not saying I feel this way or I agree with it but that’s the way the media sets it up.

I feel sorry for poor people in general, especially the ones who can't see their way out of their current situations.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
I think public assistance should be cut off to everyone regardless of race. want help, make friends, get a job, go to a church, rely on family. stop being a f-ing drain on society.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
oh trust me, the media shows the poor white people. don't you remember when they were traveling around west VA asking people why they wouldn't vote for obama? got some quality whites there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Really? Minorities believe that? I wonder why I've seen so many minorities on this forum point out that white people benefit from AA and social programs too? Maybe I was reading the posts wrong.

I think the biggest misconception with this is that the media doesn't like to broadcast poor white people. They have no problem running stories on poor black people, but when they do them for white people they have to be poor because an airplane fell on their house and dad broke his back trying to save a baby elephant and mom can’t work because she has to stay home and care for her disabled child that the state won’t provide medical coverage for. It’s like they have to give a reason for white people being poor, but other races are poor just because.

I’m not saying I feel this way or I agree with it but that’s the way the media sets it up.

I feel sorry for poor people in general, especially the ones who can't see their way out of their current situations.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,525 times
I think that anyone with an IQ larger than their shoe size realizes that the MSM and our government are politically correct to the highest degree.

You have to sort thru the PC distortions to really see what is going on.

I'm tired of people referring to hyphenated American groups of all kinds.

Aren't we ever going to be just plain Americans?

Yes, there is poverty across all racial lines - and you only hear about the minorities in the MSM. Sadly that's the world we live in today.

Hopefully someone like Obama can get us to look beyond race and view everyone as an American - no prefix and hyphen - and have everyone treated equally and given the same opportunities in life regardless of race or ethnicity- and get rid of discriminatory practices like Affirmative Action - they were needed 20-30 years ago - but not today - they are just reverse discrimination.

Of course I'm sort of dreaming - no one person is influential enough to make that happen by themselves, and I don't believe for an instant that the MSM can ever reform itself. Maybe that's why their ratings continue to go south, and so many newspapers are in trouble - they are just too PC for people to stomach....

And Yes, I do think poor whites are given the shaft in this country!!!

HubbleRules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies