Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,112 times

Advertisements

Don't blame women for wanting the freedom to do exactly what a man can. The women's movement opened up and continues to open up new opportunities for women historically relegated and restricted to certain gender roles. Today, a woman can be a doctor, lawyer, astronaut, or even the President. This wasn't true 60 years ago.

The problem is that integrating work and family regardless of gender is difficult. And it's difficult for a reason: our policies make it difficult to integrate the two. What policies would help us "focus on the family?" Let's have greater availability of flex-time scheduling, paid-leave for family or medical emergencies, longer vacations, shorter work-weeks, and other family-first measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Commish, I agree to a point. I'm single and pick up the slack way too much for coworkers with kids.

Everyone has to make choices, just because you're a parent it doesn't make you special.
Figure it out.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Nope, the family unit died when parents stopped acting like parents because they were too lazy to be parents and wanted government to take over their duties... and blame everyone else for their problems...

Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,519,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Commish, I agree to a point. I'm single and pick up the slack way too much for coworkers with kids.

Everyone has to make choices, just because you're a parent it doesn't make you special.
Figure it out.
I'm single with kids and I pick up the slack way too much for coworkers without kids. I agree, being a parent shouldn't afford special privelege in the workplace. But I also think parents should not hesitate to stay home when kids are sick and I bend over backwards to help coworkers with these and other issues by covering for them.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Nope, the family unit died when parents stopped acting like parents because they were too lazy to be parents and wanted government to take over their duties... and blame everyone else for their problems...
Nobody dares define it, but whatever it is, they're sure that it's either dead or dying. Family is a biological matter. How those biologically-linked individuals choose to relate and interact is always going to be a function of the times and technology. There is no ONE way to do it. Most people don't want to live the way Grandma and Grandpa did, and as far as I'm concerned, that's great. It's also great if they decide that they DO want to live the way Grandma and Grandpa did. Everybody should do what they feel they need to do. Work or don't work. Have kids or don't have kids. Live in an urban high-rise or a rural farmhouse. Move all the time or stay in the same place your whole life. Live next door to your sister or on the other side of the globe. None of it really matters. You can be happy and successful as a family in a million and one different ways, so just choose the one that seems to suit you best, and let the preacher-types sit over in the corner and moan about it...

Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,242,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I find it highly arrogant when people throw out a premise, with ZERO support for any thesis,one way or the other, then order other people to discuss it. Either support a POV with something that can be debated or go elsewhere to troll or have others write your homework assignment for you, I'm sure not.
My first thought after reading this was Mike Myers as the Jewish talk show host on SNL..."I'm feeling a bit phaklempt, talk amongst yourselves..."

Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Well good for you. A good paycheck helps!

Thanks, but I hardly make a good living, even with 2 jobs. I just have my priorities straight, in terms of how I spend money and time. We live a meager hand to mouth existence, but I don't let my kids suffer for it.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:01 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Figure it out.
Ahhh, thank you. I deal w/this at LEAST once a week w/one of my coworkers who has a kid. I'm getting sick & tired of her being out once,twice, three times a week because of problems w/her kid. That's bull****!!!! And me & my other coworker have to of course pick up her slack, it's absurd! Get a damn plan in action already!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 AM

Somebody is working it. I haven't missed a day of work because of my kids. But they are in Middle School. I did child care when they were younger, and I honestly don't have much respect for people that dope their kids up and go to work anyway. If someone is missing that much time from work because of their kids there is something else going on.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:28 AM

285 posts, read 901,655 times
The womens movement had nothing to do with killing the family unit. So for me there is nothing to discuss on this question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies