Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should SPITTING On Iraq War Veterans Be An Accepted Form Of Anti-War Protest
Yes 4 4.30%
No 16 17.20%
No. This should be considered a federal hate crime. 11 11.83%
No. This should be a local assault charge. 39 41.94%
Both options 3 and 4. 23 24.73%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was pretty well convinced that the Vietnam War was a total tragedy by the time I got back to the world (early 1967). I clobbered the fool because he spit on ME not because he protested the war. Some other kid in San Francisco about the same time asked me if I had killed any babies. I looked at him and answered “Not yet.” He exited the area fairly quickly. I did not hit him because he just insulted me but did not attempt an assault.
It has been over forty years and the memories are still there. Some of the dreams are pretty crazy. I am increasingly amazed that I survived.
WELCOME HOME BUD !!!
Thanks for your service, and know that PTSD lasts for life. Its
another one of the wounds.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Fortunately, the diffrence between this war and the vietnam war, is that the majority of people are against the war but respect the men and women in uniform.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Aren't they both humans? You know, 'human rights'? Have you heard of that? Don't laws and their protections apply to all humans?

What about gay veterans? Are you OK with spitting on them?
Wow... your going to use that card? So you see no difference between a person who raped your child and your child? Sure the contrast is not as great in this situation but there certainly is a difference between a plain old citizen and then a veteran who has risked his life for all of us. If I had to spit on someone I would spit on anyone but the soldier... thats really f*cked up...

Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 AM

365 posts, read 692,475 times
Spitting on anyone is discusting in itself! Spitting on a vet should be outlawed or the people doing the spitting kicked out of our country!
I had an uncle who after the Veitnam War because of all this kind of stuff committed suicide. Therefore, I have very low tolerance for such behavior!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
who raped a child? some one who does that deserves to get spat on. a big nasty green slimy wad!

soldiers dont deserve to get spat on, they just doing a job, hard as it has become.
gays dont deserve to get spat on, they just tryna be happy, hard as its been made.

save the spit for the lowest of the low. like pedophiles.

jtraik, gays are not pedophiles. you might be mixing somehting up here.

i think the point of the poster who suggested this possible double standard was to say that we should all be just as outraged at this behaviour.

it is hateful to do it to a service man and it is hateful to do it to someone on their wedding day. any rational person would agree.

you may not like gays, but you shouldnt spit on them.
you may not like the war or bush, but you shouldnt spit on the peons.

easy as that. the funny thing is that some people will have a problem with spitting on soldiers, but no problem when a gay gets spat on for no reason...

Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
I think spitting on a veteran should be the same legally as spitting on anyone else. I'm still going to knock you out if you do it though.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
Default I love how some people say it is a proper form of protest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
I hope the person, who did the spitting, is charged with assault.
War Protester Spits On Iraq War Vet at Santa Barbara Demonstration

YouTube - Santa Barbara Anti-American Protest
I love how some people say it is a proper form of protest. It just goes to show the average American the way some Americans think.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
i think its wrong but to make it an assualt charge or hate crime is just absurd

Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't believe it was widespread during Nam.
Well - your "belief" is WRONG!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:36 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
As a VET who served my country in its time of need to defend a persons right of self expression (not spitting on me) also gives me the right to KNOCK his teeth down his throat as a result. It is because of all those who served in the Military these LOW LIFES are around to express their beliefs due to the 1st Amendment. Spitting on me is not one of those rights. Steve (korea)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies