Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should SPITTING On Iraq War Veterans Be An Accepted Form Of Anti-War Protest
Yes 4 4.30%
No 16 17.20%
No. This should be considered a federal hate crime. 11 11.83%
No. This should be a local assault charge. 39 41.94%
Both options 3 and 4. 23 24.73%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,040,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

I already did. I'm a decorated veteran, and 30% service connected.

MOD CUT As much as I can appreciate your service, I simply cannot in any way grasp how you would condone the mistreatment of your own comrades.

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-24-2008 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 07-23-2008, 01:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
I don't care what a person's politics, military status, nationality, sexual orientation, etc. is, spitting on someone is in most places considered as assault.
Again, that's something the protestor has to weigh, just as chaining oneself to a fence at a military base or permitting in a rally that does not have a permit issued by a city might result in an arrest for trespassing. There's a price to pay for civil disobedience and protesting.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,615 times
Quote:
Earth circa 21st Century.

Excellent. I can enrich myself at your expense through a civil rights lawsuit against you, the police department and the city. You could file bankruptcy to escape your liability and remove the lien from your home. Of course, it would have to be a Chapter 13 since you wouldn't qualify for a Chapter 7.

I already did. I'm a decorated veteran, and 30% service connected.

I neither mince words nor cower at threats from others.
Nor would you die for your beliefs...thats someone elses job right? As long as you can speak your piece and be protected under the law, a law that has cost many thousands of lives to protect. You neither scare me or intimidate me, but you do sicken me. I feel for you, I really do.

I, much like you, do not mince words. Law suit be damned, Its better to die for something than live for nothing...to bad you'll never grasp that concept.

I venture to guess that it will take a major life altering experience for you to understand my last statement. Till that time comes protest with words and signs all you want...spit on one our soldiers in my presence and be prepared for a nasty outcome as I will gladly arrest you and process you through the system. And while we are in booking, I'll make it a point to tell EVERYONE why your there, because after all it is public knowledge. Let the happiness and joy begin.....you want free love, I'm sure the inmates will accomodate you. Especially the ones who's fathers or brothers are serving.

Threaten lawsuit all you want, only a coward would condone spitting on a soldier..period!

Like I said, proof positive for DNA screening at birth

Old 07-23-2008, 01:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,612,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
No. I live in a very red state, I mean RED. There are no independents, at least not vocally. Those who make the most noise are more often than not the ones with the Bush - Cheney bumper sticker. Not saying that they are worse than dems, just not any better.
Cleatis, the term red state is also a sterotype based on a past electorial result. If you look at those results, even the red states had a large percentage of opposition voters.....even your state and I dont even need to know which one is yours.

The radicals are not going to be numerous and are not going to be putting many bumper stickers on their bumpers. There are not many radical bumper sticker made that won't get you shot at by someone. For a radical conservative stereotype, look for an offroad vehicle with few bumper stickers and an angry looking person driving. For a radical liberal stereotype, look for a prius, volkswagon, or camry with a similarly angry looking person.

If you see a smiling face behind the wheel, sorry that person is just another dumb mainstream voter of either party. Check them again after their candidate wins and their dreams are burst when none of the campaign promises are carried out.

Quote:
I can agree that not all republicans are radical, but not all democrats are granola eating, dope smoking, tree living hippies either. when it comes to stereotyping BOTH sides do it to the other.

Personally I cannot stand ultra conservatives, but I don't go around saying that every republican worships a little Rush Limbaugh idol before going to bed.
You are falling into the stereotype trap. Not all people are correctly portrayed by a generality. The generality only depicts common traits that are identifiable by the group being targeted. It does not indicate that everyone in the group possesses that trait, just that more often that not it is present.

We stereotype Irish as loud mouthed drunken types. How many Mexicans have you known that also fit this description? I have know a good many that do. I also have know Austrailians, English, Germans, Polish, Persians and Chinese that also possess these traits. That does not automatically make them honorary Irish any more than a sober Irishman loose his Irish passport.

I do not fault you for your lack of admiration for ultra anythings. All things in moderation is the best approach to life. If you actually listen to a few of the radio talk show hosts you might discover that Rush is not as ultra as a few others out there. Sheesh! I could not believe my ears on a Michael Savage show I had to listen to while driving out in the boonies one night. He made Rushbo sound liberal!

Quote:
I'm outside of the conversation here so I can't comment...

Well, make your opinion known and we will see. Are you for or against spitting on people to show your disgust? I am afraid I ruined my children of this practise while they were very young by educating them on how dispicable this is and how everyone would think they were trash if they kept it up past two years old.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,612,342 times
Quote:
Other forms of protest would be harassing the soldier's families, or setting arson fires to destroy armament works and defense industries and newspapers/magazines and other businesses that support the war, or assassinating government officials that support the war, or a full scale civil war.

Somehow, I don't think you'd want that.
During the prelude to the American Revolutionary war, the English governor rounded up townspeople and had them executed as examples of disobedience. That too was a form of protest, although legal under the circumstances of the time. Do you feel that is also an appropriate action?

While illegal actions do take place, I do not condone them, nor do I consider it the "right" of an idividual to cause injury of any sort to another to exercise their right of protest.

I feel that the only legitimate protest is the orderly letter campaign, demonstration, filibuster, political campaign, etc. As soon as it progresses into spitting, hair pulling, fist throwing, stick swings, rock tossing, gasoline ignition, gun shooting, knive wielding, sniping, bombing, poisoning, etc....it has gone too far and is abhorrent.

If the situation has gotten so bad as to warrant activities of this caliber, then it is progressed to the point of revolution and there should be enough like minded individuals to conduct war rather than terrorism of individuals.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,329,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Cleatis, the term red state is also a sterotype based on a past electorial result. If you look at those results, even the red states had a large percentage of opposition voters.....even your state and I dont even need to know which one is yours.
I used red as an indication of how far right it is. I live in Idaho, and in my area it is very right wing. I pretty much refuse to use statistics because they are usually a hoax, but it is pretty obvious by letters to the editor, bumper stickers etc. I have done a lot of travel and this has to be hands down one of the most republican places I have ever seen. Perhaps it is just because there are so many republicans that there are bound to be more that are "out there" but I can say that this place is full of people who are far beyond main stream, again at least vocally.

Quote:
The radicals are not going to be numerous and are not going to be putting many bumper stickers on their bumpers. There are not many radical bumper sticker made that won't get you shot at by someone. For a radical conservative stereotype, look for an offroad vehicle with few bumper stickers and an angry looking person driving. For a radical liberal stereotype, look for a prius, volkswagon, or camry with a similarly angry looking person.
They are numerous, again in comparison to other places. Also, the bumper sticker comment was more of an illustration, not literally.

Quote:
If you see a smiling face behind the wheel, sorry that person is just another dumb mainstream voter of either party. Check them again after their candidate wins and their dreams are burst when none of the campaign promises are carried out.
That I think we can both agree on

Quote:
You are falling into the stereotype trap. Not all people are correctly portrayed by a generality. The generality only depicts common traits that are identifiable by the group being targeted. It does not indicate that everyone in the group possesses that trait, just that more often that not it is present.

We stereotype Irish as loud mouthed drunken types. How many Mexicans have you known that also fit this description? I have know a good many that do. I also have know Austrailians, English, Germans, Polish, Persians and Chinese that also possess these traits. That does not automatically make them honorary Irish any more than a sober Irishman loose his Irish passport.
I don't really see how I am falling into the stereotype trap, I just said, in essence, that there are far out people on both sides of the spectrum, but not everyone is that radical. As I said, not all republicans are Yosemite Sam types, but some undoubtedly are; no one can deny that. not all democrats live in a tree, smoke pot and have sing alongs to old hippy tunes, but some undoubtedly do and no one can deny that either. That is what I was trying to say.

Quote:
I do not fault you for your lack of admiration for ultra anythings. All things in moderation is the best approach to life. If you actually listen to a few of the radio talk show hosts you might discover that Rush is not as ultra as a few others out there. Sheesh! I could not believe my ears on a Michael Savage show I had to listen to while driving out in the boonies one night. He made Rushbo sound liberal!
I don't even bother listening to political shows or talk shows, I am so fed up with both sides of american politics and politicians that I don't even want to know. It makes me want to become a hermit.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,673,593 times
adults are speaking here son.

first of all CALI HAS HAD THE MOST IRAQ CASUALTIES.

Untitled Page (http://icasualties.org/oif/USCasualtiesByState.aspx - broken link)

i dont go around making up stuff.

second of all i only included the political aspect of it all because that is what stach did. he said that cali liberal oxygen stealing hippies deserve to be hostilely dealt with. i questioned wether he feels the same way about right wingers. or just the hippies.

but i stand by what i said. noone should be spat on. thats what this is about.

and what does my writing style have to do with anything? i get my point across.
now tell me deary, what does my writing format tell you about me?
besides

if all you have is to question my diction or grammar or style...

then you really aint worth the time..

if you guna come for me, come for what i said. otherwise youre just silly.

peace be with you brother.

PS. comprehension is key
PPS. re-read my posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
First of all I would love to know where you get your statistics as Texas seems to be supplying the US with a large chunk of its soldiers.

Second of all, the topic is about spitting on soldiers returning home, not liberals, democrats or republicans.

I see no connection in political affiliations and the disrespect of our soldiers by spitting on them.

Your writing format tells me alot about you "Homeboy". Thanks for reaffirming why I left "Cali" and moved to Texas.

For the Rest of Texas.....I got here as soon as I could.

God Bless
Winter

Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,331,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I would spit on a gay couple as I would a straight couple if either of them pissed me off.

I would NOT spit on a gay/straight veteran in protest.
Hope you have a good lawyer. If you spit on me and my H for any physically unprovoked reason, you'd be in jail.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,578,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I'll be sure to suck on a lemon before I aim for your eye.
Hostility is very unflattering. Have I done something to offend you? If not, please leave your rude comments for other like-minded people.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:06 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you and another poster assaulted back.
That says a lot about you, too.
MOD CUT I was just returning from a serious and life threating event, something you can not ever imagine. I had been shot at, had strange little MOD CUT trying to blow me up, and I wasn't in a mood to put up with some simpering assed twit who wanted to show how cools she was.

However that being said, fast forward three decades and if you spit on me I will still knock you on your butt..........see I dont consider that a form of protest, its a fighting action plain and simple, just like using the n word to a black man, you will get your teeth pushed in.
Now that being said, your comment has seriously pissed me off and you really should retract it.

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-24-2008 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: a bit rude, and language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies