Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times

Advertisements

I don't quite understand. Because of the clutter she is said to be violating an municipal code of some kind, and might be creating rodent problems. Doesn't she have a right to create rodent problems on her own property if she wants to? Maybe if I knew more about how it could affect other people's property, I could understand where the city is coming from. Just based on what information was given in the video, I would say that if she took it to court, she would win because there's no good reason I can see for them to control what she puts on her own property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
NM..I couldn't see anything.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
You don't wear a flagpin and you get accused of being unpatriotic. You put too many flags in your yard and you're accused of clutter. You can't win.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
Actually this HOA thing kind of peaks my interest. I think this could be applied to poorer neighborhoods as a refuge for people who like decent quiet living. You could have a gated HOA trailer court with all the same rules as a McMansion developement. No barking dogs, felons, distastefull lawn ornaments, standardized lawn care. You could have rules about what condition your car has to be in (exhaust, rust ect) parking and rules about children always being on a leash, or maybe no kids at all. A cap on the number of people that can live in each unit and number of vehicles. The key to making it work is enforcement and signing away your rights to scumbaggery when you buy the unit. Must be able to boot out devients fast with only one or two warnings. I like it, maybe each unit could be required to fly an american flag.....

Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Well, this certainly is an issue, and one we should all focus on before more pressing issues.

Let her have her flags. OMG.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:14 AM

262 posts, read 486,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
How's about we be allowed to do whatever the hell we want on our land!? Forget the HOA. They didn't buy my house, I did!
Yes, and you bought it in HOA territory. Their territory, their rules.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Let's see..... My money, my house, my property....

How's about we be allowed to do whatever the hell we want on our land!? Forget the HOA. They didn't buy my house, I did!
Forget the part that she signed a contract with an HOA?
That trumps all.
She should read what she signs.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:29 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Actually, hearing the video finally, she's part of the HOA's Neighborhood enforcement watch and reports her neighbors for violations so this seems more personal vendetta than anything else...and actually, shouldn't be "news".

Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
Yes, and you bought it in HOA territory. Their territory, their rules.
Not quite a good argument. Covenants/deed restrictions/HOA's were used to keep Blacks and other non-Whites out of neighborhoods during segregation. Declared unconstitutional by the SCOTUS. So "their rules" is on precarious ground as an argument. All such things should be eliminated as damaging to property rights. If one right, to not be discriminated against, trumps HOA's and such, should the right to own property and such not also trump such things? I think so. Of course this is coming from someone in favor of eliminating fee simple title and replacing it with allodial title, which should rightfully exist.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
that was just a boring predictable bush bashing video. yawn.
Sorry, but this song was out long, LONG before Bush, like 70-71 timeframe. And, it's a very good song, I sing it a lot in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies