Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Not directly since homes have risen since the economy is booming here with alot of new peole moving in.That said the markets declining because of teh crisis have effected me but i have made adjustmants to get thru easily. I went thru the same thign in the 70's and learened that sometimes you just have to get rid of debt and sit tight.Even losing money on a home to move to a better job is reality sometimes.Wait too long and that move can become impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Yes I have been personally affected. My husband and I have excellent credit, and we bought a house we could afford with a large down payment in 2004 thinking we would be here for awhile - not as an investment. The values around here have tanked, and I doubt I could even sell at all right now, or if I could I'd lose a large amount of my down payment. I lost my job and need to relocate to where I've had job offers, but can't unless we sell at a huge loss.
KarlaT2,

I didn't mean to imply that everyone was buying houses as a get-rich-quick investment. But I guess even those who were responsible like you are being affected by the downturn.

What area are you from by the way?

Did you consider renting your place out for a while - so you could move to better employment areas, and then sell it later when the market comes back?

HubbleRules

Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
KarlaT2,

I didn't mean to imply that everyone was buying houses as a get-rich-quick investment. But I guess even those who were responsible like you are being affected by the downturn.

What area are you from by the way?

Did you consider renting your place out for a while - so you could move to better employment areas, and then sell it later when the market comes back?

HubbleRules
Well it is true there were many buyers who were doing it for flipping or investments, but not all of us. I just had bad timing.
We're in southern California - Palm Springs area. A local realtor told me the only thing she has seen selling are short sales and foreclosures for last year at least - with exception of higher end 2nd homes for more well off people here.
We did consider renting it out. Still an option, but we are going to see what it looks like in a year before we decide. In the meantime I'm doing temp work until I can move.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:46 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Well it is true there were many buyers who were doing it for flipping or investments, but not all of us. I just had bad timing.
We're in southern California - Palm Springs area. A local realtor told me the only thing she has seen selling are short sales and foreclosures for last year at least - with exception of higher end 2nd homes for more well off people here.
We did consider renting it out. Still an option, but we are going to see what it looks like in a year before we decide. In the meantime I'm doing temp work until I can move.
Bad timing can happen to anyone - I was affected by bad timing during the Dot Com bubble and lost a nice chunk of change.... In my case though, I got swept up in the frenzy and didn't think about the downside risk. My own fault.

I think that your market has probably bottomed out, or is close to it.

Once credit loosens up a little, and mortgages are a little easier to get, you should see some improvement.

Good luck!

HubbleRules

Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
Its affecting me because we bought a new construction house (closed on it last Sept.) and a month after we closed, our builder filed for bankruptcy. (Neumann Homes, one of the high profile, big builder bankruptcy cases going on right now.) So our 1-year builder warranty was gone with the bankruptcy (luckily, no major problems with our house), we had tons of liens filed against our house (thank god for title insurance), and our subdivision is now a ghost town. All the houses that were under construction at the time of the bankruptcy are sitting around boarded up. I'm sure eventually, once the market picks up, another builder will take over, but who knows how long that will be? But hey, at least our subdivision is somewhat "secluded" until that happens, lol!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
The biggest affect that that the forclosure/mortgage crisis has had on me is killing my 401k because financials make up 1/3 of the DOW and have caused the market to turn to bear territory.

Our Treasury Secretary Paulson and Fed Chairman Bernanke have wrecked havoc on our financial system by irresponsible contradictory comments in the case of the former and bad strategy of keeping interest rates too low in the case of the latter.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
We bought our condo 26 years ago and don't really care what it would sell for because we intend to stay there for at least another five years. We did, with relatives, buy a cheap house a couple of years ago with the intent of 'flipping" it. Needless to say we still own the property but are covering expenses with a good tenant. Ya win some, ya loose some. Nothing new there.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
The housing market will get substantially worse before it gets better. It is not likely that credit will loosen up in the wake of the subprime mortgage meltdown, and many people will not be able to obtain loans even with the best credit. In nonrecourse states, in particular, money will be very hard to borrow due to the declining market and a record number of foreclosures; and for new construction, it will be even worse. (Nationwide, over fifty percent of all construction loans are in default.) And now with bank failures, there will be much tighter controls over lending practices. It is going to be very, very ugly.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Just maybe saving money will be worthwhile again?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:57 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
The lending industry has to feel the pains of the irresponsible business practices it engaged in, and the market needs to correct itself. If a homeowner was responsible when purchasing their home it shouldn't affect them much unless they want to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies