Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 02:49 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnprincess View Post
Did we have the same mama? LOL, jus' kidding, but she sounds just like mine!
yeah, me to...I think we three had the same mother...

she lectured me over and over again on that one....

I was scared to...

but I made up for it, after we were married....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 16,214 times
Default What a great thread

As a person who taught at an inner city high school and as a parent of a rather opinionated 3 year old I can understand both sides. I disagree that the state should be involved in corporal punishment. However, I can understand the teacher wanting to paddle a child. The only discipline that seems to be given is either in-school or out-of-school suspension. I had a student bring a small blade to school. Whenever he got supspension for a day or so he would not come to school for a week. I suggested to the principal that instead of detention, he should stay and help the janitors clean toilets after school one day. The horror on the students face when I said that, was a pretty good indicator that it would have worked. The principal looked at me as if I wanted to take the boy's ability to have children away and then suspended him. I didn't see him for 2 weeks.

I spank my son when the alternative to his behavior puts his life at risk. I spank him when he goes out into the street without an adults hand, when he touches my husbands power tools or jumps in a swimming pool without asking first. I did do it once when he was whining about getting his hair washed. I was spanked. Most of the time I believe parents spank because they are at their wits end. There is SOOO much parenting advice it is hard to deal with. Kids do get fear when being spanked. That is why I do it for things that will hurt him. Fear is not a bad thing, just needs to be for the right things in my opinion. Parents are not childrens friends. I want my child to be afraid of consequences. Look at animals. They nip or bite their kids when they are not behaving. Kids can't reason like adults.

Also, I throw toys away or put the toys in time out instead of my son. THAT works GREAT!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM

122 posts, read 338,132 times
Quote:
Also, I throw toys away or put the toys in time out instead of my son. THAT works GREAT!
[/quote]

Toys in timeout? that's a great idea!

I take away privileges...things they enjoy doing...computer games, playstation, allowances, outings...that sort of thing. Spanking is not something I do often, but I will give a quick 'attitude adjustment'.

Last edited by tnprincess; 08-13-2008 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: wanted to quote

Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,719 times
I am a 14 yr. old girl and i know what its like to be spanked in school. I didn't find it to be too bad actually. I was late over 10 times for the same class, and there really was no reason for it. And I learned the hard way not to do it again. My principal spanked me with a witness, the teacher of the class I was late for. It did hurt, and i did cry, but now looking back on it (even though it just happened last month) I find that i deserved it.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,719 times
Well i was spanked again, but not for being late, i was sent to the principals office to be paddled for talking during a worksheet (it wasnt even a test) in the principal's office i had to choose between being expelled or a good old fashion paddling. I went with the paddling, i should have gone with being expelled though. that long wooden with 5 holes really really hurts. i bent over the principal's desk and he spanked and spanked and asked a question and spanked, one of the questions was how many more do you want? my answer none sir. his reply was you mean none plus 100? my answer no sir, then he said fine 200, i said yes sir afraid of what would happen if i went on saying no sir. and he paddled and paddled counting all 200 out loud, and wen i was done my butt was litterally blue-ish black. he let me stay in his office as long as i wanted to to stop crying and get my act together. he talked to me too, he told me that he really didnt like giving out spankings, but he hates seeing the same person twice within the same week, i said i understand and he told me to go on back to class, i said yes sir and did what i was told. and i ened up back in his office again in the same day, he asked me why and i told him the truth, i questioned a teacher on why she gave me a D on a test that i didnt take yet because i was sick her reply, office for a spanking now!!! i said yes ma'am. th principal looked at me and sighed. How many? he asked isaid thats up to you sir. he smiled and said 3? i said yes sir and got my 3 paddles. even though i dont thinnk i should have been spanked for that at all, im glad i only got 3. (and he went super, super easy, i only felt the first one.)

Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 AM

207 posts, read 243,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Excellent, I was paddled at home and at school as a young child... I was a defiant little bastard!

It truly is a night and day difference when you walk into a home where there is physical punishment and one where there is not. I remember a while back with my friend down the street a product, of a bleeding heart liberal household... his mom and little sister and brother came up to my house to socialize with my mom, the little sister and brother ran off in separate directions when they came into the house later to find out they had gotten into all of nail polish and flung it all over the walls and carpets... mind you these kids where 6 and 7. The mom gave them a mild verbal "scolding" and the kids were telling her "no" and "shut up" and she kept on in her soft caring voice to no result whatsoever....

Kids need a whooping!

You are comparing physical punishment to no dicipline at all. Obciously no dicipline at all is NOT going to work. I would never hit my children but there would be plenty of reprocussions for that sort of behavior far beyond a "mild verbal scolding" and no child of mine will tell me "no" or "shut up" without consequence...the consequence simply will not be hitting them because I feel that is mean.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 AM

207 posts, read 243,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
LOL that would have been embarrassing, but it works!
One thing though about "parents letting their children throw tantrums" in public and not doing anything...parents have to be careful in public nowdays as to how they discipline...everyone feels they need to throw their 2cents in on the subject.

To me that really depends on what the tantrum is about. If a kid is throwing a fit over something I've said no to...I am not giving them any attention for throwing that fit. This includes yelling, hitting etc...many children will seek out negative attention over no attention. I would simply go on about my business...later after the fit was over we'd have a serious pow wow about how we act in public and how we won't be going out again for a while if we can't seem to behave ourselves. ....Tantrums are part of childhood though.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
punishment and reward are both critical elements in discipline. without such there is no moral or intellectual growth. what you see around you, mean streets filled with large aggressive monkeys, which used to be small cute monkeys we called children--- is the result.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane & Chris View Post
As a person who taught at an inner city high school and as a parent of a rather opinionated 3 year old I can understand both sides. I disagree that the state should be involved in corporal punishment. However, I can understand the teacher wanting to paddle a child. The only discipline that seems to be given is either in-school or out-of-school suspension. I had a student bring a small blade to school. Whenever he got supspension for a day or so he would not come to school for a week. I suggested to the principal that instead of detention, he should stay and help the janitors clean toilets after school one day. The horror on the students face when I said that, was a pretty good indicator that it would have worked. The principal looked at me as if I wanted to take the boy's ability to have children away and then suspended him. I didn't see him for 2 weeks.

I spank my son when the alternative to his behavior puts his life at risk. I spank him when he goes out into the street without an adults hand, when he touches my husbands power tools or jumps in a swimming pool without asking first. I did do it once when he was whining about getting his hair washed. I was spanked. Most of the time I believe parents spank because they are at their wits end. There is SOOO much parenting advice it is hard to deal with. Kids do get fear when being spanked. That is why I do it for things that will hurt him. Fear is not a bad thing, just needs to be for the right things in my opinion. Parents are not childrens friends. I want my child to be afraid of consequences. Look at animals. They nip or bite their kids when they are not behaving. Kids can't reason like adults.

Does your husband beat you when you do things that are dangerous?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Does your husband beat you when you do things that are dangerous?
What a silly comparison. Kids often don't realize the things they are doing can be dangerous; if you're an adult and don't know that things will hurt you then you have some serious problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies