Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v135/37/85/626881320/n626881320_536267_6485.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I can totally agree, but can you also see the anger in mhouse, due to the way she was treated as a child...it happens...some go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum, b/c of the way they were abused as a child...so, I do consider that for her reasoning, although I certainly don't agree with her....it stricks a chord in her...and yanno...maybe, to, she fears being like that with hers...not that she would, but when a child is abused, that is the last thing they want to do...and they fear and she wants to protect all children...You can hear the anger in her voice...while writing, the fears, the despair of what she was forced to experience....she uses words such as sadistic...failure as a parent...and I don't believe she totally realizes the excess....she's only speaking thru experience....and fear....I'm the very same way when it comes to sexual child molestation...believe me...

I was sexually abused...so, believe me, if it were up to me, all sexual abusers and rapists would either go to jail for LIFE, or be put to sleep permenantly....as they are a menace to society...so can you understand her reasoning?

also, my maternal mother was very mean...hit me upside the head, until my ears rang...across the face, gave me bloody noses....to this day, I have a significant amount of hearing loss....but...when my son came along, and since I had the influence of great foster parents....I didn't need to spank him much...and when I did, I can tell you, I feared...not hurting him...it was just the idea...and the first time, I went in another room and cried like a baby...thinking, I won't do that again....2 or 3 more times in his childhood, I wacked him across the butt...it was difficult....but I never marred him for life...it hurt me probably more then him...but he back mouthed me the one time...and if I had left that go, who knows if I'd ever gotten a call from one of his teachers....besides, children, do have to fear a consequence for their actions, otherwise, how would they know the difference? I'm sorry, but I feel way to many kids get away with murder today...literally, b/c parenting is very bad...
Well, this is mhouse2001 and I'm a he not a she. And like you cremebrulee, I too was molested. I didn't stand a chance as a kid what with physical handicaps, a monster ex-Marine stepfather, oral rape as a toddler by a male relative, gender identity confusion, and growing up "gay" and subsequently ridiculed. Fear was the only thing I recall now that I look back at my early years. The physical abuse was the last straw in that it destroyed whatever self-esteem I could have managed to create. Dissociation was my escape route to safety. But enough complaints!...

I understand my response to the issue of childhood punishment is to swing in the opposite direction, because I don't see children as resilient. Every single action molds them and those actions best be well-thought out and loving. As such, I see children (and adults for that matter) as sensitive souls whose limits are not known and should not be tested. One person here wrote that they were hit with an extension cord when they were little and claimed it was NOT abuse. I find that horrifying. You will never convince me that the infliction of physical pain can be done in a loving fashion no matter how much one rationalizes its effects. Physical punishment is a betrayal and every time I was threatened it minimized me as a person. How can anyone claim their small child, still in development, won't develop the same response?

Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
I've never found a reason to spank a kid. Kids are territorial and possessive. They would rather endure a beating than lose a favorite toy. This has been proven over and over. Spanking isn't just a form of brutality, it's simply not effective.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Great article & quite revealing. Can't image parents who do not spank their children allowing a stranger\ school official to beat them. Can you image bruises on your kids behind? Something that you would never do. A parent knows limits & understands his kid. Parents who beat their kids & encourage others to do likewise fall into the category of child abusers that is generational. Having been beaten themselves they past on that abuse to their own children; what a horrible tragedy!

Reminds me of ex-congressman Mark Foley [R-Florida] & Senator Larry Craig [R-Idaho] involvement in sexual scandal. Do you think they were beaten as kids? Made to feel shame for being gay.

Schools need to provide supervision in classrooms. Can a parent image having 30 teenagers to deal with at home? How can one teacher deal with multiple needs of her students? Getting control of the class can be much easier if another adult is present [teacher's aid]. There are many ways to run a classroom & motive students by creative teaching & modeling positive behavior. Hitting someone because they are misbehaving is actually punishing the wrong person.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 AM

This may be shocking to some:

Paul's Story

Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
awe, what a cute little liberal response. it's pretty obvious you didn't read the article. parents could give consent for their kids to be spanked in school. big difference between spanking and hitting. also, nice hijack attempt, but my friend, you lose again. I wonder if ted kennedy, murderer, mass, and gary condit, democrat murder, cali, were hit as children. perhaps we should dig up chandra levy and ask her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Great article & quite revealing. Can't image parents who do not spank their children allowing a stranger\ school official to beat them. Can you image bruises on your kids behind? Something that you would never do. A parent knows limits & understands his kid. Parents who beat their kids & encourage others to do likewise fall into the category of child abusers that is generational. Having been beaten themselves they past on that abuse to their own children; what a horrible tragedy!

Reminds me of ex-congressman Mark Foley [R-Florida] & Senator Larry Craig [R-Idaho] involvement in sexual scandal. Do you think they were beaten as kids? Made to feel shame for being gay.

Schools need to provide supervision in classrooms. Can a parent image having 30 teenagers to deal with at home? How can one teacher deal with multiple needs of her students? Getting control of the class can be much easier if another adult is present [teacher's aid]. There are many ways to run a classroom & motive students by creative teaching & modeling positive behavior. Hitting someone because they are misbehaving is actually punishing the wrong person.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
awe, what a cute little liberal response. it's pretty obvious you didn't read the article. parents could give consent for their kids to be spanked in school. big difference between spanking and hitting. also, nice hijack attempt, but my friend, you lose again. I wonder if ted kennedy, murderer, mass, and gary condit, democrat murder, cali, were hit as children. perhaps we should dig up chandra levy and ask her.

You clearly were spanked!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
A reasonably intelligent adult ought to be able to come up with some sort of discipline for their children besides hitting them.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Angry He beats his kids

Quote:
Do you beat your dog?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
You reveal more of yourself in every post & I suggest mental health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies