Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you work in the Service Industry - Who are the best Tippers
Whites 58 49.15%
Blacks 8 6.78%
Gay Men 51 43.22%
Lesbians 5 4.24%
Youths 7 5.93%
Hispanics 7 5.93%
Elderly 20 16.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:22 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times

Advertisements

I think socioeconomics also plays a heavy role; black middle and upper middle class customers (especially urban professionals) tend to tip well, while those in the lower income bracket or "new money" who don't understand the custom through inexperience don't tip well if at all. Same thing goes for foreigners (especially, cough cough, Chinese customers).

Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Gay man here and a very generous tipper. I always start my tip at 20%. If they give even mediocre service I will give them 20%. If they are truly terrible then I will lower it, but that is rare.

If the server is cute and friendly then I might be even more generous. Hehe.

As someone who used to be a server and bartender I can attest that blacks are bad tippers. There were so many times that I tested it, when I would only have like one table and they were black. I gave them the most tip top service you can imagine and they will still jip you on the tip. Now it isn't all of them. But yes, that is a trend.

Europeans were terrible. What is most terrible about them is that they effing KNOW the tipping standards in America. They just pretend to be ignorant about it so that they don't have to tip more. Tipping is actually very common in Europe but a service charge of 17% is added to most bills. You give the extra 3% if you thought they were a good server. In this globalized world we live in a traveler better not tell me they don't know American tipping standards.

Hispanics and Asians were actually okay to me. Asians in particular tend to be very familiar with tipping well because so many of them have family and friends in the restaurant industry.

Also, Gay people of every color and creed tend to be good tippers. Similar to Asians as a demographic they are much more likely to work or have friends/family that work in the restaurant industry and understand how valuable that tip is.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:01 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Europeans were terrible. What is most terrible about them is that they effing KNOW the tipping standards in America. They just pretend to be ignorant about it so that they don't have to tip more. Tipping is actually very common in Europe but a service charge of 17% is added to most bills. You give the extra 3% if you thought they were a good server. In this globalized world we live in a traveler better not tell me they don't know American tipping standards.

I am European and I didn't know when I first came here, my wife is American, which obviously helped, but I had no idea of exactly how ingrained the tipping standard was.

In my home country, there is no gratuity added to the bill and the common tip for great service is 10%.

Also, when did the base line become 20% for so many? Even some receipts around here states much less than that for excellence service, is it just a regional difference?

And lastly, why should I tip for poor service? Doesn't that just say something about a largely societal issue?

A tip or gratuity is something that is given as a token of thank you for good, great or excellent service, why would I reward sub par performance?

Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I'm sorry to say... I'm a waiter and whites and gay men are the best tippers. In MY expieriences only (I don't know about what other waiters think). You asked, and I answered, I'm sorry!

That's why many people from the working class neighborhoods in cities choose to work either downtown or in the suburbs.

But that's not to say that ALL whites tip good, or that ALL blacks, hispanics, asians tip bad. Even amongst minority waiters, we tend to all agree that whites and hispanics tip best, blacks are somewhat in the bottom middle, and asians are at the bottom in tip amounts.

One of reasons are that many Asian tourists come to our restaurant and, not knowing that tipping in our country is required, end up stiffing us because they are not used to it in their culture.

One more thing, if there is a poor white neighborhood, the tips will be bad. If there is a poor black neighborhood, the tips will also be bad. Elderly people tend to tip horribly, as well as pretty much all teenagers.
Why are you sorry to say? Is there some reason you're sorry expressing reality? I'm a firearms instructor and the ladies seem to be the best tippers in my industry. The guys probably have too much ego and as a result don't like being coached and told what to do.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:36 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
you don't need a poll, just look up the f'n studies on this. .freakeconmics had an excellent article with links to various studies.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
I'm a straight white Southern male with years of experience in the restaurant industry: waiting tables, bartending, cooking, and managing in restaurants that were mid-level to fine dining. If you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford to dine.

White restaurant workers and gay white men tip well (from 20% to 50%). White people tip about 15% to 20% or so, except for church people (they don't tip, they tithe - if 10% is good enough for Jesus then it's good enough for you). The areas in which I've worked don't have large Asian or Hispanic populations, however the Asians and Hispanics here tip the same as whites. Black people are the worst tippers - the only good tippers I know of are retired NFL players (and there aren't many of them). I've had black church goers leave me their church bulletin as a tip. I agree that European customers suck - even worse, because they know better.

As someone mentioned earlier, consistent service is more efficient, so I generally treat customers equally. However, the black NFL player or the white businessman or the gay guy or the regular customer who tips well will receive the best service possible (including extras like comps and samples).

For those uncomfortable with the observations made in this thread - life isn't fair.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I have been known to leave a 20% tip or higher. Depending on my level of service. I do not tip at a buffet, because bringing me a drink does not constitute good service. I can easily go and get my own drink faster, and when I want one. But if you take my order, and keep my food coming quickly, and I never have to wait for a drink refill, straw or condiments, you'll have a nice fat tip.

My sister and my mother have both been waitresses, so I know what to expect. If I don't get it, your tip will be much lower. Everytime I'm waiting on my drink, or my order is wrong, your tip drops by 5%.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
The only time I ever made good money waiting tables is when I worked the midnight shift across the street from a gay bar. Gay men are the best tippers.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Hmmm, now I know why some of my non black friends ask me to calculate what the tip should be and then are soooo disappointed when I tell them they were about to leave too little. They were hoping to leave less and blame it on the black chic. People are so funny. This as so many threads remind me of someone saying winning.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I'm a married , white woman, 37 years old and I tip 20 % or more. 10-15 is service is only ok.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies