Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice for defending your family/assets?
9mm Handgun 19 12.93%
.45 Handgun 23 15.65%
Assault Rifle 11 7.48%
Rifle 3 2.04%
Battle Axe 0 0%
Hatchet 0 0%
Butcher Knife 2 1.36%
Combat Knife 0 0%
Sledge Hammer 0 0%
Baseball Bat 6 4.08%
Nail Bat 2 1.36%
Club 0 0%
Taser 1 0.68%
Carpenters Knife 0 0%
Nunchucks 3 2.04%
Shovel 0 0%
Rake 2 1.36%
Katana 1 0.68%
Chain Saw 0 0%
Golf Club 0 0%
Brass Knuckles 0 0%
Baton 0 0%
Flame Thrower 2 1.36%
Household Chemicals 3 2.04%
Tranquilizer Gun 0 0%
Fork 3 2.04%
Butter Knife 5 3.40%
Grenade 2 1.36%
I have my own security service. 12 8.16%
I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family. 7 4.76%
Shotgun 40 27.21%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
<shrug> I am willing to wager you haven't been raped or murdered either. I guess that means since you haven't experienced it then it must not happen.
hmmmm yet another valid point.
Because it never happened to you yet doesn't mean it wont.
I never hit a deer with my car. That is until last monday... Brand new Toyota truck less than 1000 miles on it. Owned it for 3 weeks.
I still carried comprehensive insurance with the deer policy attached.
I must confess I wondered how some folks kept hitting deer. I found out it isn't hard to do.
Homes get broken into everyday. Its onlu prudent that you protect yourself as best as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
What if they kill your dog?
Well that would really suck, and they'd better hope I don't find out who they are.

I was just pointing out a way to protect your dog from someone who would poison it by feeding it poisoned meat. This could be a would-be robber or some ahole who just hates dogs or is just crazy. ::shrug::

If someone is going to go to that length (killing your dog) I would wager it's most likely personal and they aren't just trying to steal your jewelry and TV set. There are easier ways to get stolen goods. I have heard of it happening, a guy got the dog to come jump up on the fence to "get him" then wrapped a cable or wire aroud it's neck and strangled it, but his target at that house was drug related or something. Sick, yes, but he wasn't out randomly killing dogs or burglarizing homes and killing any dog in his way.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:11 PM

358 posts, read 518,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
If someone broke into your house and it threatened the life of your family, what would your weapon of choice be?

I chose Nail Bat.

If your choice is a Dog or other animal just select "I have my own security service" since I'm pretty sure the majority of people here do not have one.

Sorry for excluding the Shotgun.
Mine is the M1A, my wife told me her choice is the FN-FAL and my 8 year old daughter likes her Kahr 9mm.

ps. Hi-Cap magazines for both military lookalike rifles.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
What about a nice hug and some therapy? Maybe talk about how he/she feels about unfairly being born to a world that would require them to steal in order to get their crack rather than the government just giving it to them free of charge... I mean, obviously, it's not fair that they have a habit that most other people don't...

better to just shoot them and help them into the county morgue than to try and hug the crooks.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
The M16 assault rifle is the great deal for protection.

too bad an M16 requires a FFL to get. In the instance of the M16, I would prefer the civilian version called the AR-15, a civilianized lookalike semi-automatic military rifle.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Well that would really suck, and they'd better hope I don't find out who they are.

I was just pointing out a way to protect your dog from someone who would poison it by feeding it poisoned meat. This could be a would-be robber or some ahole who just hates dogs or is just crazy. ::shrug::

If someone is going to go to that length (killing your dog) I would wager it's most likely personal and they aren't just trying to steal your jewelry and TV set. There are easier ways to get stolen goods. I have heard of it happening, a guy got the dog to come jump up on the fence to "get him" then wrapped a cable or wire aroud it's neck and strangled it, but his target at that house was drug related or something. Sick, yes, but he wasn't out randomly killing dogs or burglarizing homes and killing any dog in his way.

I agree, was just busting your chops really. A dog is a huge deterrant. It can & likely will keep you from ever having to deal with a surprise intruder. But just in case I'll keep a gun handy.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:39 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Going on 36 years now and have never been in a car accident. I think it is safe to say I probably never will and shouldn't bother wearing a seat belt. Good advice, thanks.
How about an official statistic on home invasions -- police source please. I'm betting something in the range of the chance of being hit by lightning. Car fatalities actually happen with enough regularity in this country that one should take precautions.

I do guard against home invasions though: I have door locks and an efficient police force.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:53 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
hmmmm yet another valid point.
Because it never happened to you yet doesn't mean it wont.
I never hit a deer with my car. That is until last monday... Brand new Toyota truck less than 1000 miles on it. Owned it for 3 weeks.
I still carried comprehensive insurance with the deer policy attached.
I must confess I wondered how some folks kept hitting deer. I found out it isn't hard to do.
Homes get broken into everyday. Its onlu prudent that you protect yourself as best as possible.
Got any statistics on home invasions? They seem exceedingly rare to me.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Got any statistics on home invasions? They seem exceedingly rare to me.
They are often categorized as Burglaries

We guard against Burglaries in many different ways - including a 9mm

Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'm close to 60 years old and never experienced a home invasion. .
Many others have -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies