Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice for defending your family/assets?
9mm Handgun 19 12.93%
.45 Handgun 23 15.65%
Assault Rifle 11 7.48%
Rifle 3 2.04%
Battle Axe 0 0%
Hatchet 0 0%
Butcher Knife 2 1.36%
Combat Knife 0 0%
Sledge Hammer 0 0%
Baseball Bat 6 4.08%
Nail Bat 2 1.36%
Club 0 0%
Taser 1 0.68%
Carpenters Knife 0 0%
Nunchucks 3 2.04%
Shovel 0 0%
Rake 2 1.36%
Katana 1 0.68%
Chain Saw 0 0%
Golf Club 0 0%
Brass Knuckles 0 0%
Baton 0 0%
Flame Thrower 2 1.36%
Household Chemicals 3 2.04%
Tranquilizer Gun 0 0%
Fork 3 2.04%
Butter Knife 5 3.40%
Grenade 2 1.36%
I have my own security service. 12 8.16%
I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family. 7 4.76%
Shotgun 40 27.21%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,580,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
GregW;4721897]Steve - I kind of doubt the "100 yards" but 30 is believable. I had one as well.
OK, so maybe 30 to 50 yards! Hey, I was a kid, 30 yards looks like 100 yards when you're 10 years old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,397,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If someone is in my house and is not supposed to be there, there isn't an option that can eclipse a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with .00 buckshot....
According to the Box O' Truth (The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing) that's the best balance of stopping power vs. wall penetration on a miss.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,952,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
According to the Box O' Truth (The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing) that's the best balance of stopping power vs. wall penetration on a miss.
Shotguns are also an excellent way of shooting your own kids or spouse as part of the collateral damage in a spray and pray situation.

Yes, I know that the term "spray and pray" is humor targeted on the inaccuracy of the ak assault rifle in full auto mode, but I'm coining it for shotguns too.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
You never spray and pray. You always aim. My spouse will be behind me.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,952,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You never spray and pray. You always aim. My spouse will be behind me.
Make sure you ask the intruder to wait a moment while you ensure the spouse/kids are out of the line (or I should say, cone) of fire.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,719,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Make sure you ask the intruder to wait a moment while you ensure the spouse/kids are out of the line (or I should say, cone) of fire.
Indulging myself and the posters here about the likelihood of ever finding myself in a hostage situation (or any home invasion situation), I'll say this about shotguns: At ten yards the buckshot pattern will reliably fall within a 3 inch radius. That doesn't give me much confidence for shooting an intruder over my wife/kid's shoulder. However, at ten yards, it doesn't matter what weapon I'm wielding, I'm not going to shoot past a family member. I still want my 870. Give me the gut spilling b*tch over the handgun or 5.56 assault rifle any day.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 AM

I think in a hostage situation many of us would have to rethink our strategy. Shotgun or not, we take the chance of hitting the hostage...

and keep in mind, we're talking about a self-defense situation here (I'm in NJ so my life has to be in jeapardy or I'm going to prison). My house is 42 feet long and 32 feet wide. That's the furthest I could possibly need to shoot someone (assuming I'm standing with my back to one wall and he's standing against the opposite wall which isn't likely).

Point being, we're looking at a much closer range, probably within 20 feet or so (for me, anyway, because if it were much further I"d be hard pressed to prove my life was in danger).

Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,719,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I think in a hostage situation many of us would have to rethink our strategy. Shotgun or not, we take the chance of hitting the hostage...

and keep in mind, we're talking about a self-defense situation here (I'm in NJ so my life has to be in jeapardy or I'm going to prison). My house is 42 feet long and 32 feet wide. That's the furthest I could possibly need to shoot someone (assuming I'm standing with my back to one wall and he's standing against the opposite wall which isn't likely).

Point being, we're looking at a much closer range, probably within 20 feet or so (for me, anyway, because if it were much further I"d be hard pressed to prove my life was in danger).
Texas. In this state, you can apparently shoot someone who you don't want on your property. In the usual application of the law (Joe Horn notwithstanding), if someone breaks the plane of your home you are cleared to fire away. The recently implemented castle doctrine also provides that if you are cleared or no-billed in criminal court, the victim or the victim's family can not pursue damages in civil court. It's a good place to be a gun-wielding homeowner.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Texas. In this state, you can apparently shoot someone who you don't want on your property. In the usual application of the law (Joe Horn notwithstanding), if someone breaks the plane of your home you are cleared to fire away. The recently implemented castle doctrine also provides that if you are cleared or no-billed in criminal court, the victim or the victim's family can not pursue damages in civil court. It's a good place to be a gun-wielding homeowner.
Go ahead, rub it in. Here the homeowner is guilty until proven innocent. WE have to prove we felt our life was in danger...and then what if they don't believe us?!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,580,319 times
bbkaren
Quote:
IMO, distance from you to the intruder would not matter if the intruder was armed with a projectile weapon, (firearm, crossbow, etc), as long as the intruder was within your dwelling and presented a clear and present danger of harm to yourself or a member of your family or household. Shooting an intruder with a knife or other non-projectile weapon may/may not be considered as justification for using deadly force. I like the Republic of Texas legal position on home invasion, shoot first and ask questions latter. Works for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies