Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice for defending your family/assets?
9mm Handgun 19 12.93%
.45 Handgun 23 15.65%
Assault Rifle 11 7.48%
Rifle 3 2.04%
Battle Axe 0 0%
Hatchet 0 0%
Butcher Knife 2 1.36%
Combat Knife 0 0%
Sledge Hammer 0 0%
Baseball Bat 6 4.08%
Nail Bat 2 1.36%
Club 0 0%
Taser 1 0.68%
Carpenters Knife 0 0%
Nunchucks 3 2.04%
Shovel 0 0%
Rake 2 1.36%
Katana 1 0.68%
Chain Saw 0 0%
Golf Club 0 0%
Brass Knuckles 0 0%
Baton 0 0%
Flame Thrower 2 1.36%
Household Chemicals 3 2.04%
Tranquilizer Gun 0 0%
Fork 3 2.04%
Butter Knife 5 3.40%
Grenade 2 1.36%
I have my own security service. 12 8.16%
I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family. 7 4.76%
Shotgun 40 27.21%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:17 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times

Advertisements

My weapon of choice would be to call the ACLU!

In reality though, I would use a gun, 9mm or assault. Here in Texas, the homeowner has the right to protect his property, unlike some liberal craphole states. GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:23 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post

In reality though, I would use a gun, 9mm or assault. Here in Texas, the homeowner has the right to protect his property, unlike some liberal craphole states. GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!!
I will likely make my way out there some day

North Carolina laws are ok, certainly not Peoples' Republic of New Jersey bad, but if I need a home in the event of a SHTF scenario, one place would be TX. Then again, laws won't mean a whole lot at that point so basically anywhere where it's rural and out of the way.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:36 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:

Which is why I moved from Cali to Texas. My body may have grown in California, but my heart and the blood I will shed to defend liberty shall always remain here in the heart of Texas. They can come for my guns, but they will pay dearly in their numbers to do so.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Did I miss it or did you state the type of art or technique you use in your defense? I would be interested to know as I have met masters of several arts, and I can tell you, none of them are as "confident" as you when dealing with an armed attacker unless they are within melee distance of them.
Street fighting. The kind I have the most experience with...because I HAD to. Not because I sought it out.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Street fighting. The kind I have the most experience with...because I HAD to. Not because I sought it out.
No offense, I respect what people learn in various fighting techniques. I mean, how could we have developed some of the martial art systems we have without the testing of applications in the field?

What I find a bit disconcerting is that you feel that what you have learned in your short life of hand to hand altercations, somehow is far superior than arts which have been developed over hundreds and in some cases thousands of years.

For instance, my Grand Sifu who was a direct student of Jimmy Woo who brought San Soo Kung Fu to to the US which is as old as 3000 years developed by monks (specifically for dire self defense) in southern China and later developed over the years for wars by the emperor and modifed in the latest times to be taught to CIA, FBI, and Special Forces that you some how have a special understanding of hand to hand when it concerns projectile weapons that they do not?

That somehow, your "street fighting" is able to swiftly reduce any armed opponent regardless of range to a blithering idiot begging for mercy?

Even I in my lowly levels of skill in this art find street fighters and even professional boxers to be "easy pickings". While they do show creative approach in their methods, they are lacking in form and discipline and are easily subdued because of it.

I once had a cocky 6' 5'' man "buffed as they come" who was "street fighting" experienced cowering down and begging for me to stop within momments of out spar.

All of the masters I have spoken to in various arts (mainly chinese so I may be ingnorant of some other art that is successful) have stated, that the only chance you have against an armed (gun) "competent" opponent is distance. If your distance if beyond that of "physical" reaction time, then it is is MOST likely you will be injured or killed from them.

So please, explain to us with your "street knowledge" how it is that you are able to close the distance of these barriers and magically subdue your "competent" opponent. I may take it my masters then and show them the errors of all the years of their study.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Joints only work one way.

Although "distance" would be a problem, there is NO distance in my house. It is VERY small, can you comprehend that? I live in a trailer, and there is no way to get beyond arm's reach of someone without bumping into something else.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post

One armed man can cause unstoppable havoc .
In the land of one armed men, the two-armed man is king.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Here in Texas, the homeowner has the right to protect his property, unlike some liberal craphole states. GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!!
Yes, in Texas, the homeowner HAS to protect his property. Unlike some liberal civilized states.

Just curious about the grammar: Is "God Bless Texas" a command, a request, or a mission accomplished?

Old 10-13-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Joints only work one way.

Although "distance" would be a problem, there is NO distance in my house. It is VERY small, can you comprehend that? I live in a trailer, and there is no way to get beyond arm's reach of someone without bumping into something else.
There is distance in my home and there are many homes where distance is an issue. So while you are comfortable counting on the limiting factors in your situation, many are not.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
There is distance in my home and there are many homes where distance is an issue. So while you are comfortable counting on the limiting factors in your situation, many are not.
AH...so in other words, your house is too big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies