Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:54 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
The question I'm asking is if a person expects a lot from themselves, would it seem natural for that person to expect a lot from others?
yes, somewhat. I think that their expectations for themselves are usually higher than their expectations for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
You and I have different definitions, that is not worth the argument.
If you say so... However, the only difference is your refusal to acknowledge that being significant in the college's community is different than being significant to the local (city, town, etc.) community.

Quote:
So law abiding citizen should not be harassed on a regular basis, by criminals, or the law.
I agree. They shouldn't, in a perfect world, be harassed. However, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather be harassed if a criminal looks similar to me than risk my neighbors mother being the next victim of the criminal I look like. I don't want the police to slow down their search which could prevent real, physical harm to innocent people because they're worried about hurting my transient feelings.

It's just a matter of values. I think it's more important that my community be safe than me get to have the convenience of getting home twenty minutes late a couple times per year. (... and, of course, if you're being harassed unusually frequently, our legal system allows you to file suit.)

You're selfish, IMO. Rather than supporting crushing the criminal element in the black culture, you're more concerned about your feelings... At least, that's how it appears to me.

Quote:
a)Are you saying being harassed is OK because "we all look a like".
No. First, you weren't harassed. You were a suspect... apparently, once in this case. That isn't harassment.

Second, it's not "OK", but it's understandable because people of other races, when one is not normally exposed to them, do look alike to that person.

Again, this appears to me to be another example of your selfishness. It's like you're implying that all these people around you, who apparently, aren't frequently in contact with blacks are supposed to overcome their natural human deficiencies and look extra hard at pictures of you and whoever else while time is lost when a criminal is escaping. Granted, if your story is true, a criminal was getting away... However, is there a level of effectiveness profiling must reach in order for it to be a tool law-enforcement can use?

I suspect you'll not answer that question or, if you do, you'll expose your selfishness and say "No, criminals escaping at any rate is acceptable if it means me living a little more comfortably."

Quote:
Not to mention these are people I had known for the past 3 years.
I guess that says something about your reputation.

Quote:
What went wrong is I was pick because I was the only black person. And I was known by the people that pointed me out. They all talked about how they knew it was could not be me etc.... But when it came down to it. I was still just another black guy.
I recommend you get some different friends. Just because someone's white, doesn't mean their trustworthy... I find average people all suck.

Quote:
I don't why you think you know me. I am involved on my community. I volunteer at my church and for my many my son's teams and activities. I don't cry about life. I have been in voled in my community since a young age.
Apparently you weren't involved with the right aspects of the community or doing the right things to develop the reputation to avoid having a hard time. I don't know you, but it's not about that. It's about a simple equation: If something in your life goes wrong, you did something wrong... Not necessarily illegal or immoral, but you chose a path that lead to a bad spot.

Quote:
You for some reason feel that all black people are responsible for all others actions.
No, I feel that all citizens are responsible for their communities... particularly their law enforcement.

Quote:
Are you responsible for the actions of the KKK or the Aryan Nation?
If they're active in my community, then yes, I carry a level of responsibility for their presence. Either I'd be working to discourage them from my community or I'd have to admit that my indifference is a statement that there are issues that are more important to me.

Quote:
And what makes you think I live in the hood or even I city?
I don't... I just really wanted to say "pimp a beret through the hood." I like how it sounds.

Quote:
You assume a lot and we all know what happens when you ass-u-(but not)me.
That was really witty. Where'd you get it?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
yes, somewhat. I think that their expectations for themselves are usually higher than their expectations for others.
But they usually expect a lot from other white men?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
But they usually expect a lot from other white men?
Are you an attorney?

Yes.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Are you an attorney?
No, but I watch Law and Order religiously

Quote:
Yes.
So, if one white male will commit suicide because he fails to meet the expectations he has for himself and it's reasonable to expect that another white male with similar expectations will have similar expectations for another white male, does it seem reasonable that the same disdain that can lead to murdering oneself can manifest in harassment of others who are the objects of that disdain? And if that disdain can lead to murder of oneself, how can you assume that an outward target of that disdain suffers insignificantly?... As in "whoa as me."

Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
No, but I watch Law and Order religiously

So, if one white male will commit suicide because he fails to meet the expectations he has for himself and it's reasonable to expect that another white male with similar expectations will have similar expectations for another white male, does it seem reasonable that the same disdain that can lead to murdering oneself can manifest in harassment of others who are the objects of that disdain? And if that disdain can lead to murder of oneself, how can you assume that an outward target of that disdain suffers insignificantly?... As in "whoa as me."
Yes, at the extreme end it may lead one to commit suicide and at the less extreme end it will cause other white men to judge you more harshly due to the unreasonable expectations that you have for yourselves. Those are the burdens placed on white men in this society, the expecation of greatness.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, at the extreme end it may lead one to commit suicide and at the less extreme end it will cause other white men to judge you more harshly due to the unreasonable expectations that you have for yourselves. Those are the burdens placed on white men in this society, the expecation of greatness.
Are you a white male?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Cry cry.

Many blacks act like they are the victims of every ill in society and those ills are imposed by white people. Always forgetting though the race which inflicts the most crime on blacks is blacks.

Oh yes, many white people, along with every other race, have been the "victim" of police because they matched a suspect, myself included.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Are you a white male?
Please don't give me the "don't judge me until you've been in my shoes" line because you yourself have discounted that as a cop out several times on these race threads.

And no.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Please don't give me the "don't judge me until you've been in my shoes" line because you yourself have discounted that as a cop out several times on these race threads.

And no.
Not at all... You'd agree that it'd be irresponsible of you to not make assumptions about my life as a white male even though you're not one?

(For clarity sake, I'm not living in a fantasy world where all white men are stellar people who have high expectations of themselves and others. Regardless of their positions, they're quite frequently dirt bags like most people.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies