Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you can get a DWI if you are drinking a beer and using a tractor to mow your lawn. I guess they want to make sure you don't swerve and hit a squirrel.
Never heard that one. Must be a specific state thing. Most states can't enforce traffic laws on private property until after there is an accident caused and it is mostly as a matter of civil dispute resolution. For instance, traffic laws in private parking lots are not enforced by police as they are not within establishment of public law. Though, if you run a stop sign and hit another car, litigation will use them to establish fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,173 times
I can understand his frustration as well...but once again, an irresponsible act that makes us look bad, and makes our job harder to defend the second amendment. He could've hit someone (unlikely but still, we need to be careful. There are plenty of people out there waiting to take these opportunities to tell us we aren't capable of handling our guns...or our tempers).

Funny thought, to imagine him getting so mad he'd shoot his mower and I'm sure he wouldn't do it to a human who angered him (Enter anti-gunners: "Or, would he?") but very, very irresponsible. And drunk too, handling a weapon? Great. Isn't that one of the primary safety rules when handling a weapon, no impairment?

A$$wipe.

This is the kind of thing that I have no problem with them tightening up the punishment for. Rather than restricting the rest of us, throw the book at jerks like this guy who potentially could be a menace. This way he'd learn, and the rest would be cautioned by his example.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:42 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
you think that's funny, check this out.

Man Gets DUI in Wheelchair!! Are you F’n Kidding Me? | Meta4worldZ (http://meta4worldz.com/wordpress/?p=127 - broken link)
Man Faces 2nd Lawnmower DUI and $2750+ Fines

YouTube - Steves Riding Lawn Mower DUI Arrest Video

you might be right about doing it on private property though. that was second hand information. I read about DUI's on horseback and golf carts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Never heard that one. Must be a specific state thing. Most states can't enforce traffic laws on private property until after there is an accident caused and it is mostly as a matter of civil dispute resolution. For instance, traffic laws in private parking lots are not enforced by police as they are not within establishment of public law. Though, if you run a stop sign and hit another car, litigation will use them to establish fault.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:16 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
This is the kind of thing that I have no problem with them tightening up the punishment for. Rather than restricting the rest of us, throw the book at jerks like this guy who potentially could be a menace. This way he'd learn, and the rest would be cautioned by his example.
It's the laws that they have to use to tighten up those punishments that scare me.

No doubt this guy was(or is) an imbecile, but I still don't agree with what little detail we've been given here.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I don't understand how doing something on your own property with your own gun and without harming any other individual can lead to something this serious.

And we chuckle as our freedom seeps away.....
Discharging a firearm within the confines of a municipality is a misdemeanor at least, and a Class E felony at worst!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Discharging a firearm within the confines of a municipality is a misdemeanor at least, and a Class E felony at worst!
Again, we're working with limited info here.

Was he "within the confines of a municipality"?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:29 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I don't understand how doing something on your own property with your own gun and without harming any other individual can lead to something this serious.

And we chuckle as our freedom seeps away.....
If the man lived way out in the sticks and his nearest neighbor was a mile away I would agree with you.
Discharging a firearm in town is reckless. Killing the lawnmower was funny but stupid.
That said a few years ago in Kingston or Forty-fort PA we had a group of police officers fire over 30 rounds trying to stop a chainsaw wielding lunatic. He was only hit a few times but the surrounding houses seemed like bullet magnets. Pretty sure every one of those cops should have had their weapons confiscated. The man was about 10 feet away......

Old 07-26-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
If the man lived way out in the sticks and his nearest neighbor was a mile away I would agree with you.
Discharging a firearm in town is reckless. Killing the lawnmower was funny but stupid.
That said a few years ago in Kingston or Forty-fort PA we had a group of police officers fire over 30 rounds trying to stop a chainsaw wielding lunatic. He was only hit a few times but the surrounding houses seemed like bullet magnets. Pretty sure every one of those cops should have had their weapons confiscated. The man was about 10 feet away......
We agree (I think), again, the details of this story are absent in the OP.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,423 times
Lets start a new wacko movement..................we could call it

The international movement to protect and preserve the dignity of all lawn car appliances

Old 07-26-2008, 12:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Lets start a new wacko movement..................we could call it

The international movement to protect and preserve the dignity of all lawn car appliances
Add weed wackers to that. More than once I felt a desire to shoot mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies