Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM

262 posts, read 487,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Yes, you would think that would have been enough.
Damn Negroes. I mean, we GAVE them freedom. What else do they want - respect? Equality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:38 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,552,888 times
I'm fine with an apology from Congress, so long as it doesn't become a spectacle, and so long as it doesn't result in a hollow gesture that utilizes precious time.

I don't care that individual slave owners are dead and gone. The U.S. government was also a direct beneficiary of slave labor, and it is alive and well. So if it wants to acknowledge its wrongs and evils visited upon my ancestry--and the residual affects therefrom--then fine. Do it quickly and move on.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,404,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
Damn Negroes. I mean, we GAVE them freedom. What else do they want - respect? Equality?
For the pizza man to deliver somewhere in a 2 block radius of my home?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:50 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,281,446 times
Quote:
I truly am sorry you feel that way. I respect everyone. Everyone is equal to me...regardless of race, religion, education, economic status.

This question is legitimate...what is enough? If there is a verbal apology, that will not be enough. The words will not be heartfelt enough, strong enough, etc. What would be enough? We can not go back in time and change what, unfortunately, happened.

What would be an adequate apology? I am part Jewish and I have never received an apology for my relatives homes being looted, imprisoned in camps and shot at point blank range, buried alive, had medical experiments performed on them or were burned alive.

It seems we all agree that the atrocities that have happened in the past and continue to happen today are disgusting testimonies about human beings, but will contrived words from our government make everything better??

Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I am part Jewish and I have never received an apology for my relatives homes being looted, imprisoned in camps and shot at point blank range, buried alive, had medical experiments performed on them or were burned alive.
BBC News | Europe | Vatican apologises over holocaust
East Germany / Holocaust Apology CBS News broadcast from the Vanderbilt Television News Archive (http://openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/1990-4/1990-04-12-CBS-15.html - broken link)
Holocaust debt families get British apology | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET
Europe: German, Austrian Churches Apologize for Holocaust Actions

Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I
What would be an adequate apology? I am part Jewish and I have never received an apology for my relatives homes being looted, imprisoned in camps and shot at point blank range, buried alive, had medical experiments performed on them or were burned alive.
Not only have you received an apology from Germany, but from Austria. You--or at least the part of you that claims your Jewishness--also received apologies from several denominations of the Christian church. There's nothing wrong with an institution apologizing for atrocities from which they may have benefitted from (or stood in silence while the atrocities occured).

Old 07-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
There's nothing wrong with an institution apologizing for atrocities from which they may have benefitted from (or stood in silence while the atrocities occured).
Yeah, but...what if it puts a group of white people in a less than benevolent light?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,949,798 times
Quote:
BBC News | Europe | Vatican apologises over holocaust
East Germany / Holocaust Apology CBS News broadcast from the Vanderbilt Television News Archive (http://openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/1990-4/1990-04-12-CBS-15.html - broken link)
Holocaust debt families get British apology | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET
Europe: German, Austrian Churches Apologize for Holocaust Actions
What about the non-Jewish victims? Have the Poles received apologies from the Germans about the entire towns and families wiped from the face of the earth without a declaration of war? Have the Poles received apologies from the Soviets who slaughtered the remnants of the Polish army after the war, and proceeded to murder or imprison anyone who resisted Soviet domination? What about the Hungarians, the Slavs, and all the others who were victimized?

I am not minimizing what happened to the Africans who were brought to the United States and enslaved on this soil. But there are atrocities happening right now, around the world. Rather than get an empty apology from the government now, wouldn't it be better if they demonstrated real compassion for the people suffering on the African continent today?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,376,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
To All that apply

I am so sorry that I am Swedish. My ancestors, the Vikings were brutal barbaric warriors and caused a lot of fear and death wherever they went. I am so sorry to all of you Irish People, English people, South Europeans, Russians et c. Do you accept my apology?
I will accept your apology if you nominate me for a lifetime appointment as a judge of applicants for the Swedish Bikini Team.

http://nupusi.org/swedish_bikini.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but...what if it puts a group of white people in a less than benevolent light?
Truth be told ... they've been in a less than benevolent light for quite some time. (shhhhh, don't tell anyone though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies