Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Civil service that happens. Many corporations hire based on AA and promote using AA guidelines. IT Happens.
Example where I work we had to take a pre interview test. We were told that the minmum scores on the apptitude test had to be atleast 80% to be considered for an interview. At the time I worked with a black guy a former vet like myself. WE weren't friends but at work we got along well.
We took the test the same day.
My scores were low 90"s and high 80's.
Richie's scores were low 60's . He was hired in april I was hired in October. AA in action. I never begrudged him for it and he lasted a year and quit. Swing shift isn't for everyone and neither is factory work. We see women get promoted who are less qualified than their male counter parts all the time. It happens.
We have 2 choices given that we can't change the company.
1. Accept, try to excell and level the field on our own.
2. Complain and make yourself miserable.
I have chosen to work hard and try to impact those things I can control.
I don't agree with AA its institutionalized racism and sexism. I can't change it so I adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 PM

194 posts, read 299,194 times
If the company wanted to hire you, they would have. They make exceptions. They add an extra slot. They find a way to come up with the money to take you on. Why this doesn't click in the minds of so many, I have no idea.

When I went to college, the scholarships for my particular school & division (Arts & Sciences) were only meant to be for 15 students. We knew that coming in. Hundreds of students applying for 15 spots. Somehow, we wound up with 18. Why? Because my school found a way to get it done. They found the money, appealed to all the right people, & extended a hand. They wanted all 18 of us to the point where they did extra work. That's what happens when you're good enough to be chosen. When you aren't, you take a system that mostly benefits white women and cry reverse racism. It gets old. That's all I'm saying, I swear that all of you applied for the same job and lost to the same inferior black worker & had the same boss who told you the same sob story - possibly to make you feel better, if it's even true. If I had a pregnant worker that I wanted to get rid of because she was pregnant, I sure as hell wouldn't say so.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
It happens everyday. Quota systems are alive and well... A quota system seldom if ever performs on par with a systems that shoots for most qualified.
Civil service is an excellent example. Less than efficient, costly, and less than modivated.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:02 PM

194 posts, read 299,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Quota systems are alive and well.
Gee, I wonder who's benefiting the most.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BButrell View Post
Too easy.
Perfect!!!! Thank you VERY much BButrell. You so clearly illustrate why many here are complaining that an apology will never do for some people. I couldn't have planned this any better. If the best response you have for a sincere apology is "Too easy," it shows the ignorance rampant in some people (and likely a small but ignorantly loud group).

So this goes back to one of the original questions.. what do you want then? You want a moratorium on enrollments to all schools until we get minority children in first? You want all non-minority people fired until we get all 100% of minority people into jobs, then others can try to get the scraps?

When's it enough BButrell? The question was whether there should be an apology for slavery. Obviously apologies are "too easy" for you sophisticated types.. so what does it take?

Last edited by Rathagos; 07-30-2008 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
Rathagos, your bringing too much into the situation and those things listed are a non-issue. The apology is what it is and most black people that do not have the internet probably do not even know there was an apology issued,

So, I do not know why people still have their panties in a bunch. It is not like they broadcasted it with billboards, on the radio, front page news, called all black poeple houses and sent letters.My grandmother didn't even know until I told her and she was like "what" ?

Whats done is done...now lets move on.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Rathagos, your bringing too much into the situation and those things listed are a non-issue. The apology is what it is and most black people that do not have the internet probably do not even know there was an apology issued,

So, I do not know why people still have their panties in a bunch. It is not like they broadcasted it with billboards, on the radio, front page news, called all black poeple houses and sent letters.My grandmother didn't even know until I told her and she was like "what" ?

Whats done is done...now lets move on.
Sorry, LMOHM... just responding to idiocy. There are buttons for everyone... and he/she just seems to find mine.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,902 times
the congress is a joke! those people got more important things to take care than this...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Sorry, LMOHM... just responding to idiocy. There are buttons for everyone... and he/she just seems to find mine.
Yea I feel you on that but you can't let it get to you. Use the DM and let it all out! it relieves a lot of stress!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Or just put penny/buttrell on ignore. She likes when we do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies