Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 06:43 PM

194 posts, read 299,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
So what are you saying...that Black people cannot be creative? Why can White people make up all sorts of new names for their children...like Apple or River...but Black people can't.
We can. But LaTayeQu'inosha better be one hell of a singer.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:49 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BButrell View Post
Let's see CNN's "Black in America" touch on that. When black people have to watch what we name our children and how we wear our HAIR, for crying out loud, we're going to be having a rougher time in this country. Could you imagine if bosses were telling white women that they had to dye their hair blond? Yet all I hear is "well, why don't you just straighten it?" Because I'm not going to BURN my hair straight just to make white people feel comfortable, that's why.
Good points!

A little off topic....I have never understood the hair thing. I think that black women look beautiful with their hair natural.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:50 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Personally, I don’t care what you do. Again, I have no dog in this fight.
Name your kid whatever you like, but if they can’t get a job, don’t put all of the blame on corporate entities.
There’s a difference between doing what you want and not looking at the consequences of what you do.
Racism is alive and well in the US, my point is why feed it? Why do you think the Poles and Eastern Europeans stopped naming their kids Stashik (Stanley) and the ethnic variations? To assimilate into the dominant culture; the dominant culture makes the rules.
Um my children...if I ever have any, will have Hebrew names. So there will be no assimilation there.

Quote:
You’re showing exceptions to the rule, not the rule. There will always be exceptions.
Don’t you think that with a (and I hate to say this but since you used it) ghetto names, that the assumption that grammar and attitude is going to be ghetto follows? It does.
And the "exceptions" are getting greater and greater every year...to your dismay I'm sure.

Quote:
It doesn’t matter who has the problem, the result is that many blacks with “ghetto” names are not going to get a chance. That’s bottom line reality.
Wrong. There are other ways to get ahead in life than to beg and bow and be someone's corporate drone. Ever hear of something called "entrepreneurship"?

[quoteJust goes to show that racism against blacks is still in existence. Feed it or not, it won’t affect me.[/quote]

And that is exactly why racism is still a problem today; because there are Americans foolish enough to believe that just because they are in the majority racial group, racism is "not their problem".

Quote:
BTW, in many European countries, you have a list of permitted names. You can’t vary from them.
And in China, there is a limit on how many children you can have...so what does this prove exactly?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BButrell View Post
We can. But LaTayeQu'inosha better be one hell of a singer.
Oh she is not allowed to have any other talents. I see....

Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Naming a child is a huge responsibility. A person may think that giving a child a unique name will make them stand out, become out going and/or popular, memorable. But the reality is, we don't know the personality of the baby. What if he is shy and has an out there name? Plus, what if you name a baby something that does not 'fit'. For example......Tristan was pretty popular as a name after the movie "A River Runs Through It". However, I know my gene pool and my husbands would not produce a Brad Pitt looking baby thus -- no Tristan.
White or black or Latino.....there are some weird names out there and I feel badly for the kids who are saddled with them. But this has been happening forever, I would imagine. My own Grandfather was named Eralso Alma. He went by Ross

Old 07-29-2008, 07:06 PM

Actually the more that I think about it, the more convinced I am that all of you who truly believe that "Black sounding" names hinder people probably do not know that many Black people personally; and surely none with these "ghetto" names you speak about. My name is unusual....I love it, and wouldn't change it for anything. In my family, there is a Shanae, a Darnell and a Kuwia who are all successful professionals. They are a bank manager, an elementary school teacher, and a trade show event planner respectively. I also have another cousin, Tesfa, that is 19 and probably pulls in more money than I do as a mobile electronics installer and a landlord (sometimes he can pull in 5K per month).

So yeah...

Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Oh she is not allowed to have any other talents. I see....
She can join the WNBA

Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
I think this is a stupid and racist thread.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
janeann, if you've been applying for jobs in an military environment, there is spousal preference (if overseas) so you are pretty much guaranteed any job you apply for, especially if you're an officer's wife.

It's not the same.
Trust me, I've been working around the military community for over 25 years. The criteria is that we're told who to hire. If your spouse is deployed, you get hired first.
Well actually no, I was remarried to foreign national by the time I started working for contractors. No spousal preference, no benefits. As I have never had any desire to work a civil service job since they do make enough and I can do much better working for and with contractor's, I prepared myself educationally, created a good reputation and have been hired by people who never even set eyes on me as well as people who I interviewed with in person for a week. I did not let my age, my weight or my sex hold me back. So your assumptions are false. Can you explain why you seem so angry that I am able to work in environments that are multi ethnic and not have isssues with the names of those I have hired to be on my teams?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:39 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I think this is a stupid and racist thread.
Thank God this new group came on, I was beginning to think I had fallen down the rabbit hole!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies