Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Good post, SNL. Being personally straight and conservative, I am sure we would disagree on many things, but I respect that you bring a voice of moderation into the whole topic.

I will never agree that gay marriage is on the same moral plane as heterosexual, but at the same time I am actually be one of those conservative Christians who believes that one really can't help their sexual orientation. And I don't condemn them for it. What folks do behind closed doors doesn't concern me in the least.

The problem comes in when they rub it in my face...and I think this is how most feel about it. I appreciate that you personally, regardless of whether we might differ on the marriage question, speak out against the "in your face" attitude as well.
Well I think the media is to blame for a large part of it. Do you ever see typical gay or lesbian people from Texas, Alabama, or small town Indiana on TV? I never do (except a few times on HGTV). The media always takes their cameras to San Francisco or any other city that has a "gay pride" parade and films the loudest ones. Us ordinary folk don't stand a chance. The squeakiest wheel always gets the grease I guess. Everytime I see a gay pride parade with men dancing in panties I scream at my TV for them to go inside and put some damn clothes on.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 07-31-2008 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-31-2008, 06:21 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I think the media is to blame for a large part of it. Do you ever see typical gay or lesbian people from Texas, Alabama, or small town Indiana on TV? I never do (except a few times on HGTV). The media always takes their cameras to San Francisco or any other city that has a "gay pride" parade and films the loudest ones. Us ordinary folk don't stand a chance. The squeakiest wheel always gets the grease I guess. Everytime I see a gay pride parade with men dancing in panties I scream at my TV for them to inside and put some damn clothes on.
This is true, but PEOPLE, as in the general public, need to learn to see it for what it is instead of using it as "proof" of something.

Just like we wouldn't want people from other countries judging all of us by shows like Jerry Springer or Maury Povich. Just like we can't make assumptions about hetero folks by the Girls Gone Wild commercials or Mardi Gras or wild Spring Break coverage. Just like I, as a lesbian, don't want people drawing conclusions about me based on Rosie.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I think the media is to blame for a large part of it. Do you ever see typical gay or lesbian people from Texas, Alabama, or small town Indiana on TV? I never do (except a few times on HGTV). The media always takes their cameras to San Francisco or any other city that has a "gay pride" parade and films the loudest ones. Us ordinary folk don't stand a chance. The squeakiest wheel always gets the grease I guess. Everytime I see a gay pride parade with men dancing in panties I scream at my TV for them to go inside and put some damn clothes on.
As someone explained to me, "it's a parade and you have to do something".

Old 07-31-2008, 06:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I appreciate that you personally, regardless of whether we might differ on the marriage question, speak out against the "in your face" attitude as well.
He definitely isn't alone in that. A lot of us non-heterosexuals can't relate to people parading around all scantily-clad and live far more conservative lifestyles by comparison. I try not to be unkind about it, but on the few occasions that I witnessed it myself, I wanted to run in the other direction and have as little to do with the participants as possible. Well, the others explained it all in the posts above, really.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:53 PM

90 posts, read 179,552 times
I'm like that too. As a gay person myself, I cringe at what is shown on TV to be as a "typical GLBT pride parade or festival."

Like in any classification of people, there is diversity that runs the spectrum.

It is unfortunate that the media focuses on either what's the most flamboyant or promicuous (sp?) or stereotypical of what a GLBT person may look like or behave as.

But I also am of the mind that people have the right to express themselves. And I have the right to agree or disagree or look away lol

Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
I am noticing a pattern here, what is the connection between homosexuals and dolphins?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I am noticing a pattern here, what is the connection between homosexuals and dolphins?

I must be dense. I don't understand your question.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinswink View Post
I must be dense. I don't understand your question.
see post #50

Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
see post #50
LOL .. I have no idea. I didn't even see that one so thought you were asking me a question.

My apologies.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinswink View Post
LOL .. I have no idea. I didn't even see that one so thought you were asking me a question.

My apologies.
well i am curious does the dolphin have some kind of signifigance to homosexuals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies