Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BButrell View Post
Rule #1 about racism: Anyone who says "I'm not racist, but..." usually is.

Back before my mother retired, she typed up to 112 words a minute. Last time she did a test online, she tested at 86 wpm. She's disappointed in me because I can't get past 57 wpm; to get paid well in the data entry field, you have to type at *least* 65 wpm. Nothing freakier than having my mother looking at me while words are flying across her computer screen. I always want to scream, "STOP THAT!!!"
LOL @ that... my family HATES it when I do that. So quit talking when I'm typing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 PM

194 posts, read 299,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Fix some of those spelling/grammatical errors in your original post...then we'll be more apt to believe the "highly edumakated" part.
I love it when white people cry affirmative action to hide the fact that they're just flat-out subpar. When a job or a college actually wants you (not you, firstclassflyer, just in general), nothing will stop them from getting you on board. Sometimes - sometimes! - you're just...not...good...enough.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:33 PM

789 posts, read 640,516 times
well that sounds typical

Old 07-29-2008, 05:34 PM

just like when a hispanic is underqualified and screams "discrimination" huh?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM

You know the best part, kittywoman? Affirmative Action has long benefited white women (http://aapf.org/focus/episodes/oct30.php - broken link) the most, not people of color. So the fact that you're a "Caucasion" woman who still can't find work says a lot about you. Why should anybody hire you, anyway? Where did you go to college? What was your GPA when you graduated? Did you bust your butt in graduate school, like so many of us did or are doing? Ignoring your years of saying "Do you want fries with that," how many years have you been in the work force? You obviously don't speak another language - you're barely coherent in English - so why should you be hired over someone who is bilingual? My sister-in-law has a Master's degree in Spanish Language, and she's as white as Wonder Bread in the snow. My Spanish is shaky, but I took classes in high school and college, and am studying it on my own. She has a job. I have a job. What entitles you to a job?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywoman View Post
I just feel as though Caucasion people are now getting screwed in every which way.
That's hilarious!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I would've voluntarily agreed with you however I actually got told at the job
I just left for this reason: and I quote.."You are great at what you do and I would love to have you run this department but you will have to learn spanish for me to promote you" need I say more?
Guess what? It's called adding to your work profile, becoming a more valuable worker. If someone told me that, guess what? I'd get my ass into some spanish classes to get that promotion. There's always going to be something you need to do to better yourself in your job, that is just one aspect. Oh yeah, in most positions, being bilingual is an ASSET, therefore it will advance you. Try thinking about that instead of bitching. Didn't you say you had kids to feed? Well then do it instead of whining about it. It's a fact, people need to start learning spanish, why you would consider that a negative I'll never know. Broaden your intellect a little.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
If I could apply for the Hispanic Scholarship fund to go to school I would, but guess what? I'm not hispanic. If there was a white scholarship fund you bet it would be considered racist, no?
I suspect the reason you didn't get your promotion is because you haven't grasped the basics of the english language yet. And in your previous post about spanish classes being too expensive? PLEASE!!! Use some innovation, find someone who can privately tutor you at lower cost. I'm positive there's a rec center that offers classes like they do here. You're not trying & this is looking negatively on you.

Last edited by karfar; 07-29-2008 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: spelling...hahahaha

Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Americans are so PROUD to be monolingual. I don't have a single non-U.S. born friend, or a friend born of immigrant parents, who only speaks one language. Not ONE. I was reading this great story where this man was being very condescending to an African man (making booga-booga sounds), and finally, the African man says, "You must be American." The American says, "How you do know?" and the African man says, "You speak one language. I speak seven languages."

Quote:
If I could apply for the Hispanic Scholarship fund to go to school I would, but guess what? I'm not hispanic. If there was a white scholarship fund you bet it would be considered racist, no?
http://www.multiculturaladvantage.co...holarships.asp

Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 PM

You know I can almost bet that you bbutrell, were spoiled growing up and had mommy and daddy pay for everything including college to get you're pretty little gpa scores. And la ti da to your fancy degrees, but if you were really as smart as you say you are then you would be able to stay on topic. I know my qualifications and the jobs that I should be able to get and have all the experience and skills I need to do so. I don't need to prove my case to anyone especially someone who had everything handed to them on a silver platter. Had I not had any skills or qualifications in my line of work I definatley would not have posted. My job traits are not the TOPIC. The fact is hispanics are getting catered to and I was denied advancement due to my lack of knowing fluent spanish. This of which was never in my job description upon hiring. I am simply asking if anyone has gone through a similar experience, I'm not asking your opinions about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies