Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:34 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

The oil in ANWR is heavy sour crude, not too good for gasoline production. And there isn't a whole lot there anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
Ask yourself why now...why is energy such a huge concern.. especially oil? The congress and executive branch of government has been dominated by republicans over the past 30 years.. and NOW oil and energy are a hot issue... we all know that oil companies are having the highest revenues they've ever seen... and that many republicans are in bed with big oil. Knowing that the country is ready to vote democrat.. I just really question whether there is a link to oil prices and politics.. if oil demand is down.. how is oil revenue at its highest? probably because they're just charging higher prices because they can...
I'm very skeptical about it all... and I don't buy into this notion that offshore drilling is going to make gas prices go down... that's a one party fix it line.... that same party that has shown close connections to big oil...
There is more to this issue folks.. and to point the finger and blame it on some democrat that you think is just out to make things hard for americans is ridiculous... Some of you need to stop listening to rush limbaugh...
In 1994 the Republicans gained contro of both houses of Congress for the first time in over 50 years. Because of their stupidity (yes, I said it, and I consider myself a Republican), they lost that majority rather quickly, and Democrats have been in control of the Congress ever since.

Something is wrong with your "30 years" statement.

Further, gasoline prices have gone up steadily since the Democrats took over in 2007. On top of that, we know that it has always been the Democrats kowtowing to the extremist left wing environmentalists since sometime in the late 60's (as far as I can remember...I'm old, give me a break! LOL).

Oil company profit margins are no larger (in some cases smaller) than profit margins in other industries. So you can forget that argument.

There really is no link to oil prices and politics. Oil is a commodity. Neither the government, nor the oil companys set prices for oil. Oil demand right now is down, and prices are falling. So your statement above is bogus.

Stop listening to Rush? Why? What has Rush got to do with it? Without Rush and a handful of others, all we would have would be government and Democrat propaganda.

Without Rush, Sean Hannity, WorldNetDaily, Glenn Beck, and a few others (Rodger Hedgecock in San Diego — what a great, great, talk show host!), we'd be stuck with total leftist garbage. They are the only ones speaking the truth and doing the job the founders thought the media would always do. They were supposed to be the guardians of truth. Now, most of the media is just a mouthpiece for the liberal leftists. They don't care about truth.

I thank God for people like Rush and the others I've mentioned. Than God somebody challenges the leftist controled "mainstream" media!

Perhaps you should listen and find out for yourself (I find that most people who make remarks such as yours, including my own sister don't listen to him and have no clue what he says or believes.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Yale Environment 360: As Energy Prices Rise, the Pressure to Drill Builds

Old 08-09-2008, 04:00 AM

90 posts, read 179,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya...
Hey, I liked that song at camp when I was a kid

nononesenseguy, you obviously know a lot about this subject, so I won't get into a debate with you b/c I know it would be futile.

But I will argue one thing and that is the impact on the environment of drilling. It can, it does, it has, and it continues to have an irreversible and negative effect on the environment. I don't know what reports you're reading, and you can argue the ones I read aren't correct. :: shrug ::

You say po-tay-toe I say po-tah-toe

Be glad you're not a marine mammal. Oh your life would suck huge.

I doubt we'll ever get 100% off of oil, but I do strongly believe we need to drastically reduce our usage and dependency on it.

And yes, I do believe there is a lot our government does not tell us in regards to alternative energy. And yes, I do believe that oil is one of the top reasons for going to war. It's not necessarily about the oil per se, but about being greedy control freaked out bumholes.

By the way, what's The Spotlight? And what's your blurb about 9.11.01 and what the heck does that have to do with my opinion? You sure like to throw out a lot of assumptions and judgments at others who disagree with your views.

Yeah, we have different opinions. :: shocked looked on my face :: big deal.

Our EARTH (in your honor I said earth, not planet) does not have infinite resources. We've pretty much been great over the years about taking it for granted and beating the crap out of it. Sure, what's a few million more drilling holes, a few hundred more oil spills, and a few billion more wildlife and marine mammal injuries and deaths so long as humanity satisfies it's greed and doesn't have to change it's lazy ass ways.

My priorities are different I guess. I'd like the future of our Earth to be one of harmony between humanity, nature, and all wildlife, in and out of the sea ... and the visual of Earth spouting off oil in all directions just doesn't inspire me nor give me hope for such a future ...

:: strumming my guitar humming kumbaya ::

Dolphin

Old 08-09-2008, 04:28 AM

90 posts, read 179,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Give us an example of what you mean, please. What "detriment of our wildlife, our ecosystems". Which marine mammals are "getting the short end of the stick", and how. Explain.
Gosh dude, I thought you were the resident expert on this subject, given how many posts you have in this thread alone

Unless your butt is up your head, you can find all sorts of info out there where research has proven the negative, harmful, and lasting effects of drilling, on both the environment and local wildlife/marine life.

Despite the fact that drilling technology has improved, damage to the environment and wildlife can last for centuries. It's a proven fact that environmental damage, in any way, does not heal easily.

I could show you some links (and there are numerous reports out there) but one can argue, despite the fact that they come from scientific experts, both in and outside the government, some people will still argue the reports are biased, for whatever reason to suit whatever agenda they have.

Again, we'll have different views on this. I'd much rather err on the side of caution and make preserving the Earth and all her inhabitants versus destroying them, a bigger and more important priority over oil.

Someone sent this to me recently but did not credit the author:

"If oil drilling was opened up everywhere it has been heretofore off limits, the oil available might increase by an order of magnitude, possibly ensuring American energy security for decades. In the world, more oil would be available to help other nations industrialize. On the other hand, risks to the environment might increase by the same measure. Which matters more, and what alternatives are there?"

What's more important? Oil or our environment and wild/marine life?

:: rubbing my chin thoughtfully ::

Call me crazy, but I like a clean environment ... I love to see the joy of dolpins and whales, etc. as they sing to one another and can hear one another over hundreds of miles ... I love to swim in a clean ocean .... I like to walk on a pristine, sandy beach ... and I sure as heck love to breath in clean, fresh air. Can't put a price on things like that.

Dolphin

Old 08-09-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Ask yourself why now...why is energy such a huge concern.. especially oil?
I don't know how old you are, but oil has been a "huge concern" since the late 60's at least. That is when I first remember the leftist wakos running around screaming that we were about to run out of oil, and that we were ruining the environment with offshore drilling, etc. It was around that time that they banned further drilling and exploration in the Santa Barbara Channel.
Quote:
The congress and executive branch of government has been dominated by republicans over the past 30 years..
Simply not true.
Quote:
...and NOW oil and energy are a hot issue... we all know that oil companies are having the highest revenues they've ever seen... and that many republicans are in bed with big oil.
Oh, really? Which Republicans are "in bed with Big Oil"? And exactly what do you mean by that? Are you saying that there are no Democrats that now have or have ever had any interest in "Big Oil"? Have you ever heard of Occidental Petroleum? Al Gore?Gore and Occidental Petroleum - Excerpt from The Buying Of The President 2000
Quote:
Knowing that the country is ready to vote democrat..
And just how do you know this? What makes you so sure? We'd better hope they don't, because if they do, it'll be all downhill from then on, because Obama is the most radical leftist this country has ever seen. Besides the fact that he is an absolute idiot, his policies will destroy the economy and the country with it. I'd like to preserve America for my grand children.
Quote:
I just really question whether there is a link to oil prices and politics.. if oil demand is down.. how is oil revenue at its highest? probably because they're just charging higher prices because they can...
Perhaps you should study economics. I have never taken a course in economics, yet I understand the basic principles of supply and demand. It's not rocket science. Besides, an oil company's profits are tied to more than just the retail price of gasoline (on which they only make about eight cents per gallon — check how much per gallon is Federal and State tax — there's one reason your price is so high)
Quote:
I'm very skeptical about it all... and I don't buy into this notion that offshore drilling is going to make gas prices go down... that's a one party fix it line.... that same party that has shown close connections to big oil...
What connections? Spell it out. A "one party fix it line"? The American people are demanding it. And more drilling and production increases the world supply of oil, which will have the effect of lower prices (law of supply and demand).
Quote:
There is more to this issue folks.. and to point the finger and blame it on some democrat that you think is just out to make things hard for americans[sic] is ridiculous... Some of you need to stop listening to rush limbaugh...
Democrats, not Republicans have always blocked every effort to develop American oil reserves. Further, since the so-called "mainstream media" largely ignores important news to inform Americans about what their government is doing (unless it is favorable to Democrats) people like Rush Limbaugh and others play an important role in keeping us informed. Without Rush and other conservative talk show hosts, we would be left with nothing but government and leftist propaganda. Sort of like listening to NPR all day every day, and having no other source to hear opposing views.

Do you not agree that both sides of an issue should be reported to the American people?

Democrats don't like the conservative talk shows, because they expose what these people are doing, and make it more difficult for these people to get away with their sleight of hand tactics.

Were it not for Rush and Sean Hannity, for example, we would probably not have known about Nancy Pelosi shutting down debate on the Energy Bill by turning off the lights, cameras etc. and walking out. But thanks to them, we knew about it the instant it happened. That's only one example.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinswink View Post
Gosh dude, I thought you were the resident expert on this subject, given how many posts you have in this thread alone

Unless your butt is up your head, you can find all sorts of info out there where research has proven the negative, harmful, and lasting effects of drilling, on both the environment and local wildlife/marine life.

Despite the fact that drilling technology has improved, damage to the environment and wildlife can last for centuries. It's a proven fact that environmental damage, in any way, does not heal easily.
Even after the last spill that I can remember (the Exxon Valdez, there haven't been that many) the mess that was made by that spill I have read is not even visible anymore, and no wildlife has been permanently harmed (have you heard otherwise?).

Quote:
I could show you some links (and there are numerous reports out there) but one can argue, despite the fact that they come from scientific experts, both in and outside the government, some people will still argue the reports are biased, for whatever reason to suit whatever agenda they have.

Again, we'll have different views on this. I'd much rather err on the side of caution and make preserving the Earth and all her inhabitants versus destroying them, a bigger and more important priority over oil.

Someone sent this to me recently but did not credit the author:

"If oil drilling was opened up everywhere it has been heretofore off limits, the oil available might increase by an order of magnitude, possibly ensuring American energy security for decades. In the world, more oil would be available to help other nations industrialize. On the other hand, risks to the environment might increase by the same measure. Which matters more, and what alternatives are there?"

What's more important? Oil or our environment and wild/marine life?

:: rubbing my chin thoughtfully ::
Well, of course, it is important to take care of the environment; we should be good stewards of what God has given us. But at the same time, we need oil, and we always will. It isn't just for gasoline. Too many industries depend on it. Have you ever seen a list of the things that come from oil? I'ts a massive list.

For this reason, we simply cannot "ween ourselves off of oil". It isn't possible, and it isn't going to happen, unless you want to return to a pre-industrial revolution lifestyle and let the rest of the world surpass us in technology and standard of living, because I can tell you this; they are not going to "ween themselves off oil", but they are going to continue to expand their use of it to improve their economies and their lives, as we have done.

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I like a clean environment ... I love to see the joy of dolpins and whales, etc. as they sing to one another and can hear one another over hundreds of miles ... I love to swim in a clean ocean .... I like to walk on a pristine, sandy beach ... and I sure as heck love to breath in clean, fresh air. Can't put a price on things like that.

Dolphin
I agree. I like those things too. But we aren't sacrificing those things.

I kinda like the way you write. Nice post; but, you are skirting the issue a bit, in that you can't tell me what damage has been done to the enviroment by oil drilling/production.

After Katrina went through, there was no damage caused by oil rigs in the Gulf — they all survived without any problems.

No problems in Alaska with Caribou or any other wildlife.

Oil rigs may present an eyesore if they are within view from the shore, but most aren't.

All that asside, other countries are drilling within 60 miles of our coastline in the Gulf (and probably elsewhere), so even if we don't, we're still going to have offshore drilling anyway. With the technology for drilling horizontally, it bothers me a bit that these other countries could easily be tapping into oil that is ours. I dunno, but I think it's possible.

I know something about this stuff (I'm no expert, I admit) because I used to work in the "oil patch" industry, so to speak. The company I worked for manufactured underwater TV, oceanographic instruments, and remote controlled vehicles for the offshore oil and commercial diving industries. I used to lease TV systems to the drilling companies (ODECO and others). I have been to OTC (Offshore Technology Conference) in Houston a couple of times. I know a bit about oil rigs (jackups, semi-submersibles), drillships and offshore drilling. I used to read all the newsletters that our company received from the drilling industry, where they discussed a lot of these issues. This was many years ago, and I'm sure there have been mega changes in the way they do things now.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
You really think I care that you can't afford heating oil?
Oh, I thought libs were so caring and compassionate about other people?

But let me give you a reality check (even though you couldn't care less about those of us that live in the northern states, where we have winter):

Millions of Americans heat their homes with oil, not just me, and millions of Americans are suffering just as I am with this problem. I have no other choice to heat my home (unless I put in a wood burner, as many are doing — but that is an expensive proposition too; i.e., a few thousand dollars, which I don't have).

My furnace is not old (barely 10 years now) and is over 80% efficient. Yet it still takes about 275 gallons of oil per month to heat my home when it gets really cold, which is most of the winter. At todays prices (about 33% higher than last year) that will cost about $1023 per month for heat.

Could you afford that? I realize you don't care, but there are plenty of people out there that do care. It's nice that you are so compassionate.

But many people are instead burning wood (trees), which I'm sure doesn't make the wako environmentalists very happy either.

I may yet put in a wood burning stove for this winter.

Quote:
The reason mass transit is losing money is because people are driving less and the money that would normally come from people buying gas is not there.
Huh? That doesn't make any sense!

Quote:
I'm not necessarily saying mass transit should be done by the government. I'm sure a private company would be successful if they decided to build their own mass transit network/system/whatever.
America used to have a lot of mass transit systems. Pittsburgh, PA used to have a great trolley system, and Cleveland, OH, once did too. They are gone now, and have been for many years. Why? Because they were not profitable.

For a private company to build a system, they would first have to buy the land (the right-of-way where tracks might run, if it's a rail system, as I think you suggested in a former post). This cost would be enormous, and I'm sure there would be plenty of obstacles, such as protests from environmental groups and efforts to hault such plans.

There would be environmental impact studies to be done (expensive and taking perhaps years, with no guarantee of approval of plans). This would all be required before any construction could begin.

This isn't going to happen. And for government to do it? Well, we all know how that works. Ain't gonna happen, sister.

Quote:
I want America to be independent from fossil fuels because using fossil fuels is horrible for the earth.
Why? Tell me why? We will never not have a need for oil. Virtually everything we have depends on it.
Quote:
Maybe you want to destory the earth but hey, I live on this planet too and so do billions of other people besides us.
"Destroy the earth"? C'mon ... give me a break! Where's the evidence? One volcanic eruption spews tons of ash and gasses etc. into the atmosphere, and it has no long term impact. Man, little man, does not have the ability to destroy the earth!

Quote:
I would most certainly ride a bike to work and I most certainly will, once it cools off. At the moment, we're having 100+ degree weather so it wouldn't be THE smartest thing in the world.
Well you just ride that bike all you want to, girl. For most of us, a bicycle just isn't a practical form of transportation. Get a life.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
America used to have a lot of mass transit systems. Pittsburgh, PA used to have a great trolley system, and Cleveland, OH, once did too. They are gone now, and have been for many years. Why? Because they were not profitable.
No, the actual reason is that General Motors bought up all the private mass transit systems in the US and ran them into the ground in order to force Americans to buy cars.

That's an undisputed fact.

General Motors is on public record having admitted they did so, and there's two very nice documentaries that detail how General Motors went about it, with interviews by the GM Vice President in charge of the program and his subordinate managers explaining the who, what, when and why (and how little it cost GM).

That's why I will never own a GM product, until they make amends, which in my opinion, should be giving every person a free car. If that bankrupts GM, too bad. Someone can ask them how it feels.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, the actual reason is that General Motors bought up all the private mass transit systems in the US and ran them into the ground in order to force Americans to buy cars.

That's an undisputed fact.

General Motors is on public record having admitted they did so, and there's two very nice documentaries that detail how General Motors went about it, with interviews by the GM Vice President in charge of the program and his subordinate managers explaining the who, what, when and why (and how little it cost GM).

That's why I will never own a GM product, until they make amends, which in my opinion, should be giving every person a free car. If that bankrupts GM, too bad. Someone can ask them how it feels.
You're kidding (I'm sure you're not)! This is true? And since it is you saying it, I believe you, as you have high credibility with me based on your prievious posts. But I'm amazed! Absolutely astounded, and there has been a documentary?

If anyone else had said it, I wouldn't have believed it. Do you have any links to anything?

I used to love the trolleys in Pittsburgh. We always rode the trolley when we went out on scketching trips from The Art Institute. And I loved hearing them at night, especially in winter when the snow muffled the sound. Ah what memories! So sad they are gone.

Send me more info on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies