Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,764,619 times

Advertisements

That article said she blocked drilling for oil, not blocking "gas price relief". I apologize if you got mixed up and thought the two were somehow synonymous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 PM

711 posts, read 933,604 times
Smile Narrow at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Pelosi Blocks Gas Price Relief:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told CNN that she would block any vote to allow offshore drilling.

This remarkable stance comes in the face of the latest poll that says 73 percent of Americans favor offshore drilling, while only 27 percent oppose it.

Nancy Pelosi again displays her contempt for her employer, the American people.

Her arrogance and wrong-headed philosophy have led Congress to an approval rating of a staggering 14 percent, the lowest ever.

There is plenty of oil to drill.

Known reserves offshore, in Alaska, the Bakken fields of North Dakota and Montana, and elsewhere, can meet the energy demand for at least 100 years.

But Pelosi and her colleagues don't want this oil produced.

Pelosi says that it will take 10 years for this new oil supply to reach the pump, and then, it would reduce the price by only two-cents per gallon.

This price projection is pure fiction.

Nancy Pelosi is now playing God, standing where Bill Clinton stood more than a decade ago, defying the expressed will of the people by blocking access to the known oil reserves that are so desperately needed by the entire nation.

Texas Insider - Pelosi Blocks Gas Price Relief (http://www.texasinsider.org/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=4268 - broken link)

IMO your thread is misleading and bankrupt of necessary facts. Pelosi is not blocking gas price relief. Regardless of what some people assume, very knowledgeable people have said 'we cannot drill our way out of this oil situation'.

Perhaps we need to look at the speculation your Adm. has allowed to florish. The culpability of the failure to address this problem before it rapidly ascended on the backs of US citizens. Now this Adm. has created a wedge issue (with the people as the wedge) to allow destructive superficial drilling, to use resources needed as reserves and to further enrich big oil without providing any reasonable relief to the people.

If you wish to post something misleading and partisan surely you can do better than that. It would take more than your thread, or Henry Lamb of the Texass Insider for me to agree with these assertions.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 PM

872 posts, read 1,715,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
It is fine to work toward alternative energy solutions, but you can't just change over like that. The common American needs help with the cost of fuel right now while we address the need to change over. pelosi obviously is out of touch with what is best for Americans as usual.
Exactly! Congress wants to turn the energy issue into "only oil" OR "only alternative energy". That's so ridiculous. Both means should be used to solve the energy crisis we are faced with. Another thing..the environmental concerns are so exaggerated. The north coast of Alaska is loaded with oil and it would take a few years to see the benefits at the pump. These clowns who worry about oil platforms looking unsightly will never even visit Alaska, especially the northern coast.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 PM

90 posts, read 179,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
Exactly! Congress wants to turn the energy issue into "only oil" OR "only alternative energy". That's so ridiculous. Both means should be used to solve the energy crisis we are faced with. Another thing..the environmental concerns are so exaggerated. The north coast of Alaska is loaded with oil and it would take a few years to see the benefits at the pump. These clowns who worry about oil platforms looking unsightly will never even visit Alaska, especially the northern coast.
That doesn't make it okay to drill the hell out of it.

At the risk of sounding like an environmental fanatic, I'm sick of things like our marine mammals getting the short end of the stick in the interest of further profiting from oil.

What right do we have to continue pounding our greed into the earth at the detriment of our wildlife, our marine mammals, our ecosystems because we can't break our dependence on oil?

God forbid we are to ever live in a manner where we can coexist in complete harmony and with mutual respect with our planet.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
If anyone thinks offshore drilling is going to reduce gas prices, I've got a bridge I'd like you to look at ...

Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,071,490 times
There are 68 million acres leased to the oil companies where they haven't even started drilling yet. This is just a land grab by the major oil companies that they will bank away for future times. All of the drilling rigs are tied up for about the next 5 years. How are we going to drill more?

Some people are really gullible.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:51 PM

872 posts, read 1,715,020 times
What I wrote probably came off one-sided. I believe the 73% that are in favor of offshore drilling most do not want to harm the environment. One of the more important reasons for drilling for more oil is to try to eliminate our dependence on foreign oil, especially countries in the Middle East. If we could cut our dependence down to say 30% and of that 30% import oil from Mexico, Canada, and some countries in S. America we will avoid the wild swings in oil prices that can ocur with political instability. While drilling in a few productive areas in Alaska + MOntana we can expand our use of solar + wind energy as well as build nuclear power plants.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:54 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,940 times
It doesn't matter if 99% of the American people want offshore drilling, if she's a smart and responsible elected official, she'll do whatever the constituents in her district want her to do. If they oppose drilling, or don't mind if she opposes it, then so be it.

I disagree with her and think there should be more drilling, but using the argument that a congressman should vote for it just because the majority of the people across the country think it's a good idea is not really valid.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,343,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If anyone thinks offshore drilling is going to reduce gas prices, I've got a bridge I'd like you to look at ...

I dont think its going to reduce prices but untill we have a realistic way to run our cars,trains,planes,etc that isnt going to cost an arm and a leg we need oil and we are going to need it for many years.

If we find an alternate type of fuel great than no need to drill but we dont have that and we arent close to it.

The Dems say NO to every option .

In Europe and other countries they use Nuclear power its safe and works but here the Dems dont want that either .
Their answer is NO to PROVEN options .

Windmills isnt going to cut it though its sounds great and PC for Pelosi to mention it .
Solar still has a long way to go .

Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
IMO your thread is misleading and bankrupt of necessary facts. Pelosi is not blocking gas price relief. Regardless of what some people assume, very knowledgeable people have said 'we cannot drill our way out of this oil situation'.
"Very knowledgeable people"? Who? The Democrats? They aren't "very knowledgeable" in this area, or they are just plain lying.

Or are you talking about T. Boone Pickens and his recent add? He should know better, and I suspect he does.

We absolutely can "drill our way out", and we should. This is a supply problem, but there isn't a shortage. There is an artificial shortage; i.e., the Middle East Cartel is purposely keeping supply off the market. That is why we need to pump our own (we have more than all of the Middle East combined).

The laws of supply and demand rule. Increased supply, lower prices. That is a fact. Why have prices fallen in the last couple of weeks (30 cents/gallon in my area)? We are told that it is because people are driving less, creating an increase in supply. That is how the market works. Fewer dollars competing for more product equals a drop in prices. Works every time. Economics 101.

So, if we increase production of our own oil, it absolutely will bring down prices (and T. Boone Pickens knows this), and not just by a few cents as the Democrats want you to believe.

Quote:
Perhaps we need to look at the speculation your Adm. has allowed to flourish. The culpability of the failure to address this problem before it rapidly ascended on the backs of US citizens. Now this Adm. has created a wedge issue (with the people as the wedge) to allow destructive superficial drilling, to use resources needed as reserves and to further enrich big oil without providing any reasonable relief to the people.
You've bought the Democrat Party lie hook, line, and sinker, haven't you?

Speculators have been around long before the Bush Administration ("your administration"? I thought he was President of the whole country?) Bush has not created speculators, nor has he "allowed them to flourish", as you say. I'm sorry. I don't want to sound mean, but you don't know what you are talking about. You are just parroting the Democrat Party propaganda.

The oil companies which you and the Democrats refer to as "Big Oil" are not evil, and they are not the problem, nor are they the enemy. They are trying to provide us with a product we need. They are being hamstrung continually by government red tape, radical environmentalism, and government energy policies that are not in Americas best interests. Government is the problem. We have the oil. We should be allowed to use it. Our strategic reserves are apart from that.

Quote:
If you wish to post something misleading and partisan surely you can do better than that. It would take more than your thread, or Henry Lamb of the Texass Insider for me to agree with these assertions.
Give me a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies