Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:17 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The Associated Press: LA blocks new fast-food outlets from poor areas

The government has crossed the line a long time ago. Why do they think that they have the right to tell business owners what type of business can open where? These people know the risks of eating fast food, and if they choose to, thats their own business.

Its absolutely ridiculous that the government thinks that they have some kind of right to police things like this.

So sick of this kind of thing along with all the wasteful spending.
This is stupid.
If these people are so poor why are they spending so much money on eating out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
you obviously know very little about the area in question. the mom and pop sandwich places yall talk about and the healthy food places are not in this area. they are in the more white affluent areas of town. they get the whole foods, they smoothie spots, they get a bunch of healthy options while this area is given more and more greasy food.

i dont expect any of you to really know whats going on. ive tried to explain what its like down here. but you guys dont get it.

its ridiculous that i would have to travel far from my home, and spend my money outside of my community just to eat healthy food. there is no berlin wall, but why should i have to venture out when i can easily walk to the corner for a shot of wheat grass or whatever. these services and ammenities should be within reach of a community devestated by diabetes and obesity.

and yes i shop at grocery stores and buy fruits and veggies, but sometimes you dont want to cook and sometimes you are fed up with all the grease pitts dottin each and every corner and you want a vegan wrap or something like that.

this area is underserved and looked over for serious development.

i welcome healthy choices. as do the rest of the people down here. im glad yall dont live here. we are happy about this.

and i also welcome nutritional classes. i think that is what is needed.
i volunteer at a food bank, and there they offer nutrition classes. it has impacted the lives of the food recipients greatly. now that they know what to do with barley or other grains, they look for them at the grocery store. now that they were exposed to tofu, they go out and buy it. the recipients also get recipes and nutrition sheets.

more of this needs to happen.

or is this infringing on peoples rights too? too paternalistic?
this is a good thing to happen to south LA.

but you guys dont get it.
sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Oh for crying out loud! This is Los Angeles were are talking about. There are no healthy options? That is an outright lie. LA is loaded with health food shops and restaurants. And they also have a very fine bus system as well as a Metro for the three people there who do not have a car. Can someone not travel a bit for a bite to eat? Is there a Berlin Wall we outsiders do not know about?

And how are you supposed to know about healthy foods? Are you serious? Really, is that a serious question? Do you not have libraries, bookshops or the internet? Surely you can find some written material regarding healh issues? Or is that too much work.

If the LA government is concerned with something as stupid as this, then they have abdicated any sense of duty or responsibility.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
So now people who cant afford to eat better quality food will just drive further (and pay more in gas) to get to it?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
As far as I know, the ban is on any NEW fast food restaurant opening there for the next five years or something to that extent. They (fast food restaurants) are already overrepresented.

As far as healthy restaurants and grocery stores - if they wanted to open stores in that area, they would already be there. One cannot force a store (like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods) to open in an area where they choose not to.

This legislation is in fact silly, though - because it will do little if anything to change what they are trying to change. If someone is used to eating greasy, unhealthful (yet quite tasty, I must say!) foods, they are not going to want to start eating alfalfa sandwiches or tofu wraps.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:26 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
you obviously know very little about the area in question. the mom and pop sandwich places yall talk about and the healthy food places are not in this area. they are in the more white affluent areas of town. they get the whole foods, they smoothie spots, they get a bunch of healthy options while this area is given more and more greasy food.

i dont expect any of you to really know whats going on. ive tried to explain what its like down here. but you guys dont get it.

I see. There is an invisible hand controlling everything behind the scenes with racist intentions.

The places located there are a function of the area and its desires. Greasy places proliferate not because they are "given"- restaurants are not given; they are not the result of some command economy. They are there because the market (that's you and your neighbors) desires them. If there was demand for healthy places, they would be there. End of story. If you do not like it, you are welcome to move. And then you would complain about the dearth of Fatburgers.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:29 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
What else is new; you knew it'd come down to race at some point, right?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
What else is new; you knew it'd come down to race at some point, right?

Yes, the last refuge of the truly desperate.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No choices? A person alway has a choice of whether to enter a McDonalds or not. Personally, I have not been in one in at least 5 years. I simply do not go in one. Its easy. Really.
Do you know what a "food desert" is. Often times the only "grocery stores "in inner cities sell very unhealthy foods. They are more like service stations or convenience stores.

Quote:
I am always amazed at the arrogance it takes to see people as hapless drones being controlled by the big bad men in top hats
Sometimes it is necessary for the strong to protect the weak, and to use force to do so.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Do you know what a "food desert" is. Often times the only "grocery stores "in inner cities sell very unhealthy foods. They are more like service stations or convenience stores.
They are just catering to consumer demand, like anywhere else. If those folks wanted tofu and organic fruit, the stores would sell it.

Quote:
Sometimes it is necessary for the strong to protect the weak, and to use force to do so

Protect people from hamburgers and french fries? Now why does that sound silly?

Old 07-31-2008, 02:59 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
it aint about race. i aint one to throw the "race card" out there like that. it would be too simplistic. but the reality is that these healthy options are a plenty in affluent white areas.
kinda like landromats and liqour stores abound in not soo affluent black neighborhoods.

i aint sayin its about race. dont try to make that the issue.
a part of it is economics. and for the longest time people have beleived that this area would not support franchises other than Mcd's and so on. the article i posted earlier debunks that myth.

its about time these communities are given healthy food options.

but thats it. i really dont think you guys get any of what im saying.
especially if you are saying to move to an area where these options are available.
i will stay and ensure a healthy, productive, clean, safe environment because i care about my community. why would i run form the problem? that whole "love it or leave it" mentality is for wussies.

luckily the LA city council does.

and really how can people want what they dont know exists?

your guyses understanding of the socio-economic demographic in this area is very limited and it shows. i dont fault you for not knowing this.

it is not your community.
it is mine and i care enough for it to expect healthy options.
i would hope that you would want a healthier world as well. guess not.
peace be with yall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies