Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:25 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times

Advertisements

Has to be George Washington the way he dealt with terrorism and foreign affairs he could definitely get us going in a positive direction, he could probably solve the gas issue also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 11:48 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You must be very young and did not live through the Carter administration where we lined up on certain days for gas at the gas station based on odd or even license plate numbers, where we didn't attend the Moscow olympics and missed the part where 52 US diplomats were held hostage in Iran from November 1979 until January 1981, when Ronal Reagan took office (in addition to Carter's failed rescue attempt). For crying out loud, Ted Kennedy challenged Carter for the party nomination in 1980, that's how bad a president he was.

I would not pick Carter to help me get knots out of Christmas tree lights. If you must pick a Democrat president, choose another --- anybody but Carter.
Actually I did live through the Carter era, and the gas rationing was introduced by Nixon (oops spoiled your RW rant). Carter's the one who put us on a rational energy policy which "fixed" the oil problem. Reagan promptly abandoned all those efforts and we are paying the price for Reagan's misdeeds today.

52 diplomats were captured by the Iranians and released unharmed on the last day of the Carter presidency. The failed rescue attempt was headed by Charles Beckwith founder of the Delta Force. I'm not sure what a president can do but appoint the best military people to the mission and then support their decision. What did people do when you were in the service?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Al Gore.

Okay, make that FDR.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Ronald Reagan would be close, but my choice is #33, Harry Truman. Once, his approval rate was the lowest in history (until "W"), he was the most successful foreign affairs President we've ever had, in my opinion.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
calvin coolidge, because he would do nothing. that's what a good president does. we are individuals. as individuals, we can get ourselves out of our own messes. at least domestically.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
I'd agree with James Monroe

Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Jefferson
Lincoln
Washington

We need some real men in there...conservatives...and I'm not talking Republican's but real honest ta goodness conservatives who possess morals, and care about our country the people, and not about their own personal agendas.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
FDR if I had to pick a president from the past.

Let's change the rules and allow the best candidate in America to run for president: Arnold Schwarzenegger

Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
As we all know, many Americans believe our country is currently in a pretty sad state, due to a multitude of issues such as the war, the economy, the housing crisis, oil/energy, illegal immigration, Constitution-trampling, lack of global support, same-sex marriage/gay rights, etc.

If you could choose any former President (alive or deceased) to be elected into office again this November, to help/fix/change/implement/retract/stop whichever issue(s) is(are) most important to you, who would it be?...and why?

why would you put same sex marriage/gay rights as part of a "sad state"? it's great that american individuals' rights are being extended to ALL americans. It doesn't begin to compare with the other issues that make up the "sad state".
that being said, i would choose Lyndon Johnson, cause he knew how to get bills passed.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
We need some real men in there...conservatives...and I'm not talking Republican's but real honest ta goodness conservatives who possess morals, and care about our country the people, and not about their own personal agendas.
I have to agree with this. The Republicans of today are not conservatives (with the exception of Ron Paul).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies