Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times

Advertisements

Luiso wrote:

They were lucky to have a Congress which werent a pack of special interest whores
I've heard congress called many things, but this is the most accurrate description I've come across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:43 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The gas rationing was a logical move to counter an oil embargo by OPEC nations.
You couldn't be more wrong. There was never a shortage of oil in the United States and the only thing the Nixon Administration "rationing" program did was convince people to top up their gas tank at every opportunity. We only have a couple hundred million barrels of gasoline storage capacity in this country. When 150 million cars decide that the average inventory of gasoline in their tank should be no lower than 3/4 full 15-20% of that inventory moves to people's tanks. Plus people are filling up every other day, rather than once a week. That gives you shortages at the pump and long lines. All courtesy of the Republican Administration doing exactly the wrong thing.

Quote:
Carter's energy policy did nothing and even the Democrat-controlled Congress hacked and dismembered it to pieces.

Carter, like many on this forum, engaged in the fallacy of equivocation, believing that energy and fuel are synonymous. They are not.

The state of Hawaii uses oil (fuel oil refined from heavy oil obtained in the US) to produce electrical power, but the other 49 states do not use oil. Building windmills and installing solar cells will not decrease oil use or reduce gasoline prices.
Carter put us on the track that reduced oil consumption by 15-20%. He put in place the DOE, which has spawned the development of efficient wind, solar, and biomass technologies. Those technologies today will provide us with a path to climate control and energy security. You are right that we use an inconsequential amount of oil generating electricity. It's CAFE standards and plug in hybrids that will get us out of the current mess we are in on oil prices and it's cellulosic ethanol and biodiesel that will provide long-term solutions. Wind and solar provide us paths to reduce GHGs.

Quote:
One of Carter's policies "--Cut in half the portion of United States oil which is imported, from a potential level of 16 million barrels to six million barrels a day" was heavily flawed. Much of the growth in the US is due to the manufacture and sale of products that can only be made from light crude oils, the bulk of which (90%) are in the Middle East.
Absolutely wrong. The growth in crude consumption is drive by gasoline demand. You're confusing a byproduct with the main product. And those "by products" can be made from a very wide range of inputs from heavy crude to natural gas.

Quote:
The clothes you are wearing have ME oil. You wash them in ME oil (if you use liquid detergent). Everything in print you read is ME oil. You wash your body and hair with ME oil. You eat ME oil. All of your medication has ME oil. Your over-the counter drugs are ME oil. You car and all of your electronics are ME oil. Your food and most thing you buy are contained in ME oil, and the labels are ME oil. Women slather their faces with ME oil. Young people have ME oil injected into their skin for tattoos. Your antiperspirant and toothpaste is ME oil.

Your whole life is light sweet crude oil from the Middle East.
You're in love with ME oil. Work for ARAMCO long?

Quote:
Carter caused the hostage crisis.

It was his fault 100% and he bears 100% responsibility.

The Shah told Ambassador Bill Sullivan in 1977 that he had cancer and intended to abdicate. It was already decided that Ayatollah Khomeini would be the next leader of Iran. There was no doubt in anyone's mind, except Carter and the neo-cons.

Sullivan opened up back-door negotiations with Khomeini. Both had two things in common: oil and the Soviets.

Sullivan's fatal error was allowing the Shah to enter into an agreement with Iraq to deport Khomeini to Paris. The move was done to protect Khomeini from assassination, but it led the French to start poking their noses around and once they found out the US was backing Khomeini, the DGSE leaked that at a mosque in Tabriz in order to preempt Khomeini and get their own ayatollah installed as leader.

The "revolution" started within 24 hours of the French DGSE leaking news of the Shah's intended abdication.

Carter erred by following the advice of Brzezinski and Sick and sending General Huygens to Iran to instigate a coup with the Iranian military.

Sullivan and Haig (then US Army Chief of Staff) were opposed and begged Carter to recall Huygens. By the time Carter decided to do so, it was too late.

If the French tried to instigate a coup in the US, you and 30 Million Americans would be trying to storm the French Embassy to take hostages, so don't blame the Iranians for something you or 30 Million other Americans would do.

As far as the "hostage rescue" mission, there was none. It was failure before it even started and had ZERO chance of success. Had they not screwed up at Desert One, the only thing that would have happened is that all of the hostages would have died, a lot of US troops would have died, and a lot of Iranians would have died.
LOL thank you for your rant. Now back to the non-fiction channel. The Iranian revolution was always going to happen. The Shah of Iran wasn't able to hold onto power. And the revolution occurred about a month after the Shah left, not before. I'd like to see something to support the assertion that the United States under Jimmy Carter actively engaged in a coup attempt. Certainly something that has never come out publicly and absolutely against the principle of Carter.

The proximate trigger for the takeover of the US embassy was allowing the Shah into the US for medical treatment.

Whether Beckwith would have succeeded or not in the hostage rescue is pure speculation, but my money would be on Col Beckwith not some Internet commando.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You must be very young and did not live through the Carter administration where we lined up on certain days for gas at the gas station based on odd or even license plate numbers, where we didn't attend the Moscow olympics and missed the part where 52 US diplomats were held hostage in Iran from November 1979 until January 1981, when Ronal Reagan took office (in addition to Carter's failed rescue attempt). For crying out loud, Ted Kennedy challenged Carter for the party nomination in 1980, that's how bad a president he was.

I would not pick Carter to help me get knots out of Christmas tree lights. If you must pick a Democrat president, choose another --- anybody but Carter.
And don't forget his rushed last minute attempt to save the Iran hostages!! Waited right until his administration was almost over... a move to keep the momentum for the Democratic party? Seemed a gamble he lost (as did the Democrats), then Reagan stepped in the open door. Had it worked, would we have had Carter for a second term?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
And don't forget his rushed last minute attempt to save the Iran hostages!! Waited right until his administration was almost over... a move to keep the momentum for the Democratic party? Seemed a gamble he lost (as did the Democrats), then Reagan stepped in the open door. Had it worked, would we have had Carter for a second term?
Last minute???? The hostages were taken prisoner in Nov 1979. The rescue attempt was April 1980. There was one additional rescue effort planned but never launched. The election was November 1980. After the election Carter continued to negotiate for the release of the hostages, which occurred on Carters last day in office.

Last edited by rlchurch; 08-01-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Teddy Roosevelt. He would start taking heads regarding this financial mortgage crisis and corruption and fire up the American people to pressure their elected officials to do get off the dime.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
[quote=rlchurch;4692370]Carter put us on the track that reduced oil consumption by 15-20%. He put in place the DOE, which has spawned the development of efficient wind, solar, and biomass technologies.

One thing from the Ford and Carter years thats missing today, is a public media campaign to encourage people to save gasoline. Remember some of those commercials, "President Ford urges you to turn your thermostat down to 55 degrees at night......" Can you sing along to this one "Save a gallon....save a gallon......save a gallon of gas a week" Then there was the one showing the man coming out of his house, getting into his car and backing out of his driveway. He backs out into the street up to the mailbox to get his mail, drives back in and goes back in the house. And dont forget the fifty five's a friend commercials. Dont know if any of these ads did any good, but we did cut consumption a great deal.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:32 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
[quote=mofford;4695866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Carter put us on the track that reduced oil consumption by 15-20%. He put in place the DOE, which has spawned the development of efficient wind, solar, and biomass technologies.

One thing from the Ford and Carter years thats missing today, is a public media campaign to encourage people to save gasoline. Remember some of those commercials, "President Ford urges you to turn your thermostat down to 55 degrees at night......" Can you sing along to this one "Save a gallon....save a gallon......save a gallon of gas a week" Then there was the one showing the man coming out of his house, getting into his car and backing out of his driveway. He backs out into the street up to the mailbox to get his mail, drives back in and goes back in the house. And dont forget the fifty five's a friend commercials. Dont know if any of these ads did any good, but we did cut consumption a great deal.

i remember one when i was a kid that went "double up america, 2 can ride cheaper than 1". it was a catchy and effective jingle. maybe the gov't really doesn't want us to conserve?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:25 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
I don't know how much a president could do when the rest of our politicians are a bunch of boobs also...

Old 08-01-2008, 07:59 PM

645 posts, read 909,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Ronald Reagan, hands down. Things are similar now to how they were in 1980. Reagan fixed it once, he could do it again.
Reagonomics was a fix?? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies