Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 06:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
everyone pays the same taxes, but parents get the write off for children. is that really so hard to comprehend? I am not angry, I just don't understand it. this is why I advocate a flat, or fair tax. if you don't like tax cuts for the rich, why would you like tax cuts for parents? a tax cut is a tax cut, isn't it?
To be fair - I am assuming you are talking about the deduction for each person -

The deduction is not only for children but for anyone you are also caring for or contributing to more than a certain percentage (60%??????). If I'm caring for an elderly parent, I can take a deduction for them -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,770,870 times
Quote:
excellent comeback. quite thought provoking.
I think the point the poster was making is "so what" if people choose to have children.

As in, that fact does not invalidate or in fact address any of the other points the poster made as a rebuttal to your original premise.

Including the fact that there is a $300 break and not $3000 as you erroneously started us all out with in the premise of your thread.

Out of morbid curiousity, do you still begrudge parents the $300 break they receive? Perhaps you wish you had just let your selfishness and base egoism fester in your own private ittle world, eh?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
To be fair - I am assuming you are talking about the deduction for each person -

The deduction is not only for children but for anyone you are also caring for or contributing to more than a certain percentage (60%??????). If I'm caring for an elderly parent, I can take a deduction for them -
And why should people be allowed to have a deduction to care for an elderly parent?

Huh, why???

They can throw em in the street , can't they?

It is just not fair to the rest of us!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,791,131 times
why can't we all pay the same? I would never expect someone else to pay for someone I took on as my responsibility, and in essence, that is what it is. also, I doubt that the elderly parent is utilizing a lot of public services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 PM

interesting. my best friend is a single parent. she told me this weekend that she gets about $4000 back in taxes per year. I get nowhere near that. I highly doubt the difference comes from a $300 tax deduction on april 15th. to answer you question, yes. I still give my parents hell for the tax write off, as I give it to my brother who has a child. at years end, parents get nice huge checks from the government, I scramble for write offs so that I can get a few bucks back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I think the point the poster was making is "so what" if people choose to have children.

As in, that fact does not invalidate or in fact address any of the other points the poster made as a rebuttal to your original premise.

Including the fact that there is a $300 break and not $3000 as you erroneously started us all out with in the premise of your thread.

Out of morbid curiousity, do you still begrudge parents the $300 break they receive? Perhaps you wish you had just let your selfishness and base egoism fester in your own private ittle world, eh?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
why can't we all pay the same? I would never expect someone else to pay for someone I took on as my responsibility, and in essence, that is what it is. also, I doubt that the elderly parent is utilizing a lot of public services.
Perhaps the government understands that generally speaking, those who actually are responsible for lives other than their own take on exponentially higher expenses. So a pittance of a tax break is considered a bone they throw us come tax time.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
at years end, parents get nice huge checks from the government, I scramble for write offs so that I can get a few bucks back.
Do you have anything to in fact validate this besides your personal family anecdotes?

Because I sure don't get any nice huge checks from the government. Maybe I am missing out?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times
Quote:
Actually - the elderly parent may be using lots of public services - you never know

As to your point: Get the Congress to change the personal exemptions. I would not mind.

I will say however, I doubt you will have much luck

Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 PM

so you feel that it is the responsibility of the federal government to dictate what is costs to run my life. interesting.

Quote:
Perhaps the government understands that generally speaking, those who actually are responsible for lives other than their own take on exponentially higher expenses. So a pittance of a tax break is considered a bone they throw us come tax time.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM

maybe you need a better accountant, or perhaps your accountant joined a union.

Quote:
Do you have anything to in fact validate this besides your personal family anecdotes?

Because I sure don't get any nice huge checks from the government. Maybe I am missing out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies