Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times

Advertisements

Oh, homeowners are getting tax breaks too... it's not the renters' fault that they don't pay interest on home loans! And what about those who drive their own cars? They get to deduct those car taxes off of their income tax returns? (Well, in Connecticut they do, anyway!) Don't even get me started on why Floridians don't pay car taxes at all.

If you want the write-off, then go have some kids and roll in the dough. If you're so well off that you don't need the $3,000, then why do you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
because it's BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Oh, homeowners are getting tax breaks too... it's not the renters' fault that they don't pay interest on home loans! And what about those who drive their own cars? They get to deduct those car taxes off of their income tax returns? (Well, in Connecticut they do, anyway!) Don't even get me started on why Floridians don't pay car taxes at all.

If you want the write-off, then go have some kids and roll in the dough. If you're so well off that you don't need the $3,000, then why do you care?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:20 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
when Jmarquise is an old crippled man living alone because he never had kids and will have no one to look after him.
Just a little off topic here, but why do so many people just assume that when you have kids that he/she will take care of you when you're old.
If that were true then nursing homes and hospices would have long gone out of business.
If your only reason to have kids is for the expectation of a future nursemaid for when you're elderly that's pretty selfish.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:21 PM

I will have more than enough personal savings to use after I retire. hell, I might retire early. I have 4 retirement accounts. I will pay for my own medical care before I take crappy government health care. I never said I would never have kids, but the write off thing is BS IMO. like I said, flat or fair tax is the only way to make things fair.

Quote:
Well, we'll see. You planning on haiving enough personal savings to cover you for 20 years or so after you are too old to work?

And if you, as older people often do, get a serious illness or medical condition... what is your big game plan to pay for your medicine and operations? Helath Care is just outrageous these days.

If God forbid you were to develop severe Alzheimers or Parkinsons Disease, for example, or a serious cancer,what exactly is your plan for living?

Or were you planning on doing the noble thing and taking yourself out to the back of the barn?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
If your only reason to have kids is for the expectation of a future nursemaid for when you're elderly that's pretty selfish.

That is my main reason for having children (well, that's tied with the tax write off, of course), but not my only reason... I hate doing dishes, and once kids hit 6 years old, they're tall enough to do them.

That about covers it!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 PM

564 posts, read 892,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I will have more than enough personal savings to use after I retire. hell, I might retire early. I have 4 retirement accounts. I will pay for my own medical care before I take crappy government health care. I never said I would never have kids, but the write off thing is BS IMO. like I said, flat or fair tax is the only way to make things fair.
Amen Brother! It's those of us with no kids that should be getting more back, let the one's using the services (such as public schools)foot the bill.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:29 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Just a little off topic here, but why do so many people just assume that when you have kids that he/she will take care of you when you're old.
If that were true then nursing homes and hospices would have long gone out of business.
Actually in many cultures this is the norm. In the USA unfortunately we treat the elderly as being more disposable, thus the many nursing homes. I think it ties into the selfishness in general of our society.

I agree, if you are having kids only to being taken care of when you are old, that would be a selfish act. I enjoy having a family because your life actually means something to other people. You are not just taking this ride solo. You will be remembered by people when you pass on.

There is give and take, not with any expectations of a return, but because you actually love one another, as cheesy as that may sound. It has nothing to do with money or contracts. I know my kids will be there for me because they love me. I will be there for them in the same way.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:31 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
I enjoy having a family because your life actually means something to other people. You are not just taking this ride solo. You will be remembered by people when you pass on.
Hmm, I have plenty of younger relatives who my life actually means something to.

Im not saying you do it intentionally or with mal-intent, but its kind of insulting to have someone insuate that because I dont have kids, nobody cares about me.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:32 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I will pay for my own medical care.
Really? How much will you be saving toward that? If you plan to live to be 80 or 90 I recommend at least $1.5 million to "get you to the other side."

Old 07-31-2008, 03:33 PM

and saving $1.5 million is somehow hard??? ever heard of compounded interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Really? How much will you be saving toward that? If you plan to live to be 80 or 90 I recommend at least $1.5 million to "get you to the other side."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies