Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times

Advertisements

I think that single people with no kids are totally screwed under our current tax "scheme." let me get this strait, I have no kids, but I pay for your kids education. I also pay for their health care, and all those other services that are provided for children. I don't like this fact, however, I accept it. where I start to get annoyed is when we give back more to those who take the most. I don't have a $3000 write off per child. I didn't get an extra wad in my stimulus check. these things annoy the crap out of me, but then I heard a new one. now residents of my state aren't paying sales tax on school supplies. WTF is going on? it's almost like you are forced to have kids to make any money in this country. you know what's even harder than being a parent? paying for kids that aren't yours. I am tired of this government forced child support for children I didn't have the pleasure of making. like I said, I have come to terms with tax dollars being used for education and some services for kids (not health care), but I think they have got to draw a line at all these tax incentives that are unfairly given to those who choose to have children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Yeah. Let the little buggers grow up in the streets and then lock 'em up when they get to be teenaged felons, or let them die when they contract polio or rubella.

Those are certainly cost effective approaches.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yeah. Let the little buggers grow up in the streets and then lock 'em up when they get to be teenaged felons, or let them die when they contract polio or rubella.

The problem is people who dont plan ahead or understand the financial consequences of having children who EXPECT things to be made easier for them because they decided to have kids.

Nobody wants the situation you propose where the kids suffer, but I think we would all appreciate it if people could be responsible for their own bad decisions of they truly cant afford to have kids.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Everyone has to pay taxes for roads (that they may or may not use), for public schools (that they may or may not use), for the welfare system (that they may or may not use). That's life. Everyone benefits from having paved roads, an educated population, and people who are not homeless.

Trust me, parents are not getting rich on the state's dime. You save even more money on school supplies if you don't have to buy them... how fair is THAT??

Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Trust me, parents are not getting rich on the state's dime. You save even more money on school supplies if you don't have to buy them... how fair is THAT??
Perfectly fair. You were not forced to have children, so it's not unfair that you have to buy school supplies.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The problem is people who dont plan ahead or understand the financial consequences of having children who EXPECT things to be made easier for them because they decided to have kids.

Nobody wants the situation you propose where the kids suffer, but I think we would all appreciate it if people could be responsible for their own bad decisions of they truly cant afford to have kids.
Sorry -- I have to disagree. Children are our hope for the future.

No child is a bad decision.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 PM

who said that? my question is why do parents get tax breaks for being tax burdens?

Quote:

Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 PM

we are all chipping in, buy whey is the government kicking back only to parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Everyone has to pay taxes for roads (that they may or may not use), for public schools (that they may or may not use), for the welfare system (that they may or may not use). That's life. Everyone benefits from having paved roads, an educated population, and people who are not homeless.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Sorry -- I have to disagree. Children are our hope for the future.

No child is a bad decision.
So you prefer that a mom and dad making $10k a year combined should go and have 2 kids because its "hope for our future?"

Personally I think that is child abuse because you cant even begin to provide the most minimal things for that poor kid. Its selfish, short sighted, and just plain stupid.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 PM

I am waiting for one single valid argument from a parent out there as to why they get tax breaks when they use more in services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So you prefer that a mom and dad making $10k a year combined should go and have 2 kids because its "hope for our future?"

Personally I think that is child abuse because you cant even begin to provide the most minimal things for that poor kid. Its selfish, short sighted, and just plain stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies