Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:46 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
It sounds like such a confused set of priorities there in the Atlanta area.
The affluent white person cannot escape the real world of the inner city such as crime, drugs, hip hop music, gangs, different races and cultures, etc.
I remember the image of the LA riots years ago when people who lived in nearby Beverly Hills watched their great city burn and turn into a war zone.
I don't think the affluent white people understand that when they make more money off the backs of the working poor, underpriviledged and oppressed minorities they are not putting that money back into the inner city. It just festers up and explodes. Atlanta is a great city. I hope there are enough intelligent people there who can see the bigger picture.
Even if they knew, why would that want to change the scenario? Your premises are flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,299 times
In Virginia we have an independent city/county type of government. I am not familiar with the Georgia type but I can tell you our system is not working.
Our major cities have become crime-ridden, losing population, attracting the poor and thus losing employers to other states like NC. The counties around these poor cities have the best segregated public schools and now higher property taxes to pay for all of the services needed. In other words, if a town is incorporated within a county the citizens have to pay double taxes to the town and to the county. North Carolina has a better system where the cities are allowed to annex land around them so it keeps the cities healthy and avoids such excessive taxes. Charlotte now is a bigger city than Atlanta. Will Atlanta one day lose its dominance as the "premier southern city" or does anyone in Atlanta care?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Atlanta is, and will become, the Detroit is the South. Who cares? Life is too short, move to Charlotte.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:16 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
First off.There are middle class to wealthy black areas all over Atlanta.And also plenty of diverse neighborhoods. Cascade in the south and Camp Creek ,now the fastest growing area in Atlanta are some.Even whites are moving to the area.Its mostly black,clean wealthy and prosperous.Who said Black equals poor,crime ridden and uneducated?Some of you need to stop watching
Quote:
GoodTimes
for your education of the black experience in America.

Last edited by afonega1; 09-04-2008 at 11:53 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
first off.there are middle class to wealthy black areas all over atlanta.and also plenty of diverse neighborhoods. Cascade in the south and camp creek ,now the fastest growing area in atlanta are some.even whites are moving to the area.iits mostly black,clean wealthy and prosperous.who said black equals poor,crime ridden and uneducated?some of you need to stop watching goodtimes for your education of the black experience in america.
lol

Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Wow good thing you didn't post this in the Atlanta forum, you would get some heated responses. I don't live in Atlanta, but I used to. Even then I didn't live in Fulton county. But let me offer these opinions:

Fulton county is the shape of a big lopsided C, with the bottom of the C, the lopsided part, being urban Atlanta, predominatly black, predominatly poor. The body of the C is a little skinny strip that extends for miles to the northern outer perimeter suburbs. Predominetly white, BUT with a large progressive upper middle class black and asian community. So it's not all race.
Fulton county property taxes are WAY higher then the neighboring counties of Cobb and Gwinett. Now the people of the northern counties are saying, hey, I am paying all these high taxes to pay for the ineffecient government in urban Atlanta that is 30 miles to the south of me...the people in Atlanta, because property values (in some areas) are so low, are not paying there fair share of taxes. And because it costs so much to run these lower income parts of Atlanta they are not getting there fair share of services.
Another issues - this part of Fulton county USED to be a seperate county. Milton county I think it was called. They are trying to bring back Milton county.
So on top of all that you have the press trying to make it a racial issue. It's not really a race issue but a class issue. It's a "no taxation without representation" issue. No different from what Memphis has with the mayor trying to annex the suburbs into the city limits.
Finally some truth instead of race baiting anti Atlanta people.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
This is old news. Atlanta's whites and blacks will never achieve peace.

LOL @ Bodymore (every time I hear it)

Southern towns ... home of the classy!
You mean like in Chicago?If I recall when Harold Washington became Mayor.Whites left in DROVES!!Chicago declined drastically and the suburbs boomed.Chicago is a great city I love it(accept during winter)but don't give me a superior attitude without acknowledging your cities own faults as it never suffer similar things if not worse.Chicago's neighborhoods are the most segregated traditionally and still today in the U.S.
Quote:
This is old news. Atlanta's whites and blacks will never achieve peace.
What a crock of crap.Have you ever lived in Atlanta?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
In Virginia we have an independent city/county type of government. I am not familiar with the Georgia type but I can tell you our system is not working.
Our major cities have become crime-ridden, losing population, attracting the poor and thus losing employers to other states like NC. The counties around these poor cities have the best segregated public schools and now higher property taxes to pay for all of the services needed. In other words, if a town is incorporated within a county the citizens have to pay double taxes to the town and to the county. North Carolina has a better system where the cities are allowed to annex land around them so it keeps the cities healthy and avoids such excessive taxes. Charlotte now is a bigger city than Atlanta. Will Atlanta one day lose its dominance as the "premier southern city" or does anyone in Atlanta care?
None of those things you mentioned are happening in Atlanta.Atlanta is not even in the top 10 cities anymore for crime,unemployment is lower than the national avg.,Charlotte has more land area,but people are still moving to it suburbs far more than in the city.Boston is a lot smaller land wise but its density and population are much bigger than Atlanta's.
Atlanta has 133sq miles 519,00
Philadephia 135sq miles 1,449,000
Size really does not matter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies