Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
The guy who is adamant about his disdain for gay men and is clear to label same sex relations as perverse or sick is often louder and more outspoken than most. Everybody has seen this type of blatant heterosexual...and 9 times out of 10 his drama is to cover his fears that people will discover his secret. He thinks if he acts macho enough and disparages gay people often enough, he can continue to live the straight charade.

I think some of the people in this forum might be hiding something...
LOL! Yea right. Oh, I see the old "alter ego thing"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 PM

179 posts, read 119,894 times
Okay, so after debating this very subject with a number of Christians, I'm still failing to see what is wrong with gay marriage.

I understand, now, that as Christians it goes against the views of your Judeo Christian beliefs. So if homosexuality is perverted, then what is rape? What is mass murder? What is genocide? All of these things are condoned and described in detail within your Bible.

So now that you've established your disdain for homosexuality and belief that it is a sin....let me ask, what does this have to do with anything? Should your personal religious beliefs affect laws which would give these people the right of marriage?

Should your personal religious beliefs affect any individual in the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness?

Every argument from Christians against gay marriage revolves around the fact that they believe it to be a "sin". Last time I checked, so was rape, murder, and the child molestation. None of those subjects generate the passion, controvery, or vile responses that the subject of homosexuality does.

They then say, "well it's because no one tries to pass laws with those other sins that would give those people equal rights". And again, I say, "why should your religion affect in any way laws that allow same sex couples fair representation under the law"?

Furthermore, from what I've seen, homosexuality has always been a hot topic among Christians - this is nothing new. Homosexuals are/were the last minority group that one can easily, publicly, and hatefully attack without fear of disapproval.

So I think many Christians have realized this and used it to their advantage. If you've ever taken Psychology, you know people always need some group to hate; some group to marginalize; some group to feel superior to. It's only human.

And that's fine. It only crosses the line when those individuals' rights are incroached upon with your religious fanaticism. It's called separation of church and state, and I personally, cannot figure out what the argument is about here.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I prefer gay marriage to some half measure, like domestic partnerships.

As a heterosexual man, I take marriage very seriously. It's an extremely serious commitment that makes me very vulnerable if I undertake it with the wrong person. So, I'm not in a great big hurry to get hitched up with someone so that they can get health benefits.

A domestic partnership law that imposes few obligations on the partners, but many on employers, insurance companies, etc., is a sure disincentive to employers to locate where such laws are enforced.

dedalus,

as far i know, NO state requires employers to offer benefits to Domestic partners unless it is specific to maintain a contract with a certain State/municipal organization like businesses that contract with the City of San Francisco, for example. But you know if you want to have that Contract, it is a cost of doing business that the businesses will gladly pay to get the business with the City. More and more of the larger cos. now offer DP benefits, but it is still an option. Even legally married same sex couples cannot get healthcare benefits from Federal Express b/c the co. is too stingy to offer them and the State doesn't require it to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies