Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Unions suck

You know at first I mistook you for a reasonable person, one with whom I might disagree but who had credibility and was worthy of respect.

At first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You know at first I mistook you for a reasonable person, one with whom I might disagree but who had credibility and was worthy of respect.

At first.
Why? Because I don't like Unions? That I see nothing good in Unions? Union membership is going down!

I see absolutely no need for Unions

Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I am torn with Unions because they always go too far. With no Unions, you get WalMart, one step above slavery. With Unions, they always go too far until they rip the competitive bowels out of the company, like the major auto makers.

Too bad there is no middle ground.

That's the way of the world bily, there'll never be a perfect system. One guy works for his interest and another guy works for his that's opposite. It swings one way and then the other and we hope that in the meanwhile we get something out of it for ourselves.

But we'll never get much if we can't identify our interest or work for the other guy's at the expense of our own. It won't work right if everything piles up on one side.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:42 PM

74 posts, read 138,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

At first.
Sorry, he's right. Unions suck. They are akin to communism.

I guess you should consider that if you support unions........

Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Why? Because I don't like Unions? That I see nothing good in Unions? Union membership is going down!

I see absolutely no need for Unions

Because you say something as childish as "unions suck".

And because any reasonable person would agree that unions benefit many who belong to them. Guys like me who made double what non union people doing the same work make. Guys like me who retire at 55 with a union controlled pension paying as good as working 40 hours a week. Guys like me who put two girls through the University of Illinois and paid every nickel out of pocket, cash, and could do it because I had a union job.

Telling me that there's nothing good about unions simply flies in the face of reality.

Now when a business owner tells me "yeah, unions are good for you but bad for me", well sure, I can respect that. That's honest.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleeBob View Post
Sorry, he's right. Unions suck. They are akin to communism.

I guess you should consider that if you support unions........

Communism? This is the 1930s anti-union playbook.

However, IF they are akin to communism then communism ain't so bad.

You said the union guys doing the same work make double what non union makes. How is that bad? Isn't that good Capitalism, to get the most you can? Isn't that the name of the game?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
I completely agree that in most companies today the rank and file gets screwed over by the executives. Every year the benfits shrink and most workers are lucky to get a pay raise that keeps up wth inflation. The executives get big bonuses for shutting down plants in America and opening them up in China or somewhere.

But with globalization the floodgates have been opened. If one company tries to protect the average worker, they will lose out to the competition that is taking advantage of their workers, and then eventually that company goes out of business.

I see the average worker in America just getting shafted for the foreseeable future, at least in manufacturing.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I completely agree that in most companies today the rank and file gets screwed over by the executives. Every year the benfits shrink and most workers are lucky to get a pay raise that keeps up wth inflation. The executives get big bonuses for shutting down plants in America and opening them up in China or somewhere.

But with globalization the floodgates have been opened. If one company tries to protect the average worker, they will lose out to the competition that is taking advantage of their workers, and then eventually that company goes out of business.

I see the average worker in America just getting shafted for the foreseeable future, at least in manufacturing.

I won't argue with that Bily, you're right. Look at the furniture business which left Michigam for North Carolina but has now mostly moved to China. No American, union or non union, can work as cheaply as a Chinese worker.

But I submit that's all the more reason to get good wages and benefits for those jobs that can't leave the country----construction, healthcare, janitors, mechanics, food workers and such.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Oh - I'm not suggesting firing them because they are looking into unions etc.

I am suggesting however that, if workers vote for a union - the company does not have to agree to a contract -

The whole legislation that Wal-Mart is opposing changes the playing field, and your above stipulation, because if Wal-Mart doesn't agree to the contract it has to submit to mandatory government arbitration which will impose the union contract.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Unions can no longer spend contributions from member dues. However, they will ask if you want to donate on behalf of the Unions choice. I declined. My dues do not go to any candidates, another myth busted.
Who pays for Wal-Mart Watch and the other anti-Wal-Mart groups? Unions.
So even if your dues don't go to any political candidates, they do go toward a political agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies