Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, I read the spreadsheet, but I'm still unsure about when it says Wal-Mart if the check was written off of Wal-Mart's corporate account or if the check was from some other account and attributed to Wal-Mart. And I still don't understand how they determine that the lobbyist from Jack Sprat interest group is a McCain lobbyist or an Obama lobbyist. It isn't as if lobbyists are employed by the candidates.

Also if the donation attributed to Wal-Mart came from it's PAC it actually isn't corporate money, since the corporation isn't allowed to contribute to the PAC, only employees are. Granted, the PAC supports the corporation's agenda, but it's funds don't come from the corporate coffers.
...hmmm. This is verging on angels on pins territory. I'll try to research this more, but it may be splitting hairs (to mix metaphors). My suspicion is that coroporations do a pretty good job of using money to influence politics in the form of advantageous legislation, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Default Right out of the Wall Street Journal

Quote:
Wal-Mart Warns of Democratic Win - WSJ.com

According to about a dozen Wal-Mart employees who attended such meetings in seven states, Wal-Mart executives claim that employees at unionized stores would have to pay hefty union dues while getting nothing in return, and may have to go on strike without compensation. Also, unionization could mean fewer jobs as labor costs rise.

The actions by Wal-Mart — the nation’s largest private employer — reflect a growing concern among big business that a reinvigorated labor movement could reverse years of declining union membership. That could lead to higher payroll and health costs for companies already being hurt by rising fuel and commodities costs and the tough economic climate.

The Wal-Mart human-resources managers who run the meetings don’t specifically tell attendees how to vote in November’s election, but make it clear that voting for Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama would be tantamount to inviting unions in, according to Wal-Mart employees who attended gatherings in Maryland, Missouri and other states.

“The meeting leader said, ‘I am not telling you how to vote, but if the Democrats win, this bill will pass and you won’t have a vote on whether you want a union,’” said a Wal-Mart customer-service supervisor from Missouri. “I am not a stupid person. They were telling me how to vote,” she said.

First of all, I'm not a Wal Mart advocate, but....how can the she make a statement like that...and think it's accurate, not to mention, straight out telling the employees which vote to make?

I suppose it's not against the law, right? But, to make a statement like that? I mean, where would she even get that information, let alone, have it be factual?
Scare tactics?

Oh, and by the way, I'm registered independent.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:15 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
It is really all about card check vs secret ballot.

Unions want card check because they need to get a majority while at the same time get to know who to work on for the signature.

Companies like it because the union never knows exactly if they will win.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Scare tactics?

Oh, and by the way, I'm registered independent.
That used to be my tactic not to get a lot of political junk mail.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
This article was previously discussed earlier this month. There were 120 posts on it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...light=Wal-Mart

Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That used to be my tactic not to get a lot of political junk mail.

it's not a tactic, it's the truth....not only that, but I didn't want this to be a republican vs democrates....

simply wanted to know everyone's feedback on it....

Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This article was previously discussed earlier this month. There were 120 posts on it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...light=Wal-Mart

opps, sorry, I didn't know

Old 08-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ah - no - Unionizing WalMart would be a lousy thing -

Most workers (not all) at WalMart are part time - Seniors supplementing their income (who do not need "benefits") - Students who are furthering their education - people who are doing a second job -

There are no "benefits" to being in a Union - quite the opposite -

No Unions
Seniors don't need benefits...honey, if you believe that, your very mistaken...first of all, seniors need meds, all kinds of meds which are very expensive, and if they're working at wal mart, chances are, they really do need to suppliment their income....I mean, probably not all of them, but I'd be willing to bet a great majority of them, who would definately benefit greatly from a Union being in there.

What I don't understand is why a Union would need $40.00 a month from each employee, and also if a union came in and the WalMart giants had to fork out some decent pays and benefits, guess who would pay that? You and me...yup, they'd raise they're prices...and Wal Mart, would soon, not be the great corporation it once was....maybe

Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM

I wish to add, when I go into our local wal mart, the employees are miserable, which speaks volumns. It's not just a few, and I don't think it's all attributed to rude customers....but those people are not happy.

I worked at a Home Depot part time once, PATHETIC! Really Pathetic....

Old 08-20-2008, 01:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Creme, I have to say, the people in my local Wal-Marts are actually really friendly and cordial. I don't know if they are unhappy on the inside, but they certainly don't show it. They'll also go out of their way to help you (sometimes too helpful (man in candy aisle last Halloween, take note, you were too, too helpful).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies