Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times

Advertisements

That's too generalized. In an area there's usually norms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 04:01 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
I agree with the fact that rude people can be found everywhere but people in the city will/can brush it off and focus on other things. Country folks can be nice but a lot just don't get out that much and when they get upset they just let it stew (this is my experiences).

Old 08-05-2008, 11:38 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I disagree. I know some country folks who can't stand driving in the city because they say they don't have the patience. And in the city one must have a lot of patience for traffic jams, etc. I see more people in the city who will let a car in from a side entrance during a traffic jam than I do country. This is just my expeerience however. Maybe others have a different one. What I'm saying is that you have to have a tougher driving "constitution" in the city. If not, it will eat you up.
Well thats your view of things, that was mine.. btw, here its like that i live in ALbuquerque and belive me.. people here have no patience, compared to people that live in the country..

Old 08-05-2008, 01:03 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Hold up; am I to understand that people actually live in the country? I always assumed those little towns and random houses in the middle of nowhere were decorations to entertain us city folk as we travel from city to city. Are you folks for real? People actually live in the country?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 PM

Another point for my o.p.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Another point for my o.p.
Are you seriously that unable to understand sarcasm when you see it written?

Hint - DC 38 was joking ... sheesh

Old 08-05-2008, 02:56 PM

Hint- Use of the correct smilies then

Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Hint- Use of the correct smilies then
Geez Louise; that was too easy

Old 08-08-2008, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 9,478 times
After living in New York, Michigan and Pennsylvania and growing up in Phoenix and now living in Idaho, I must say you nailed it on the head. People in the cities just don't spend enless hours on useless conversation. Took me years watching small town folks doing this as a way of gathering information about you and then it becomes their whole means of conversation with other people. I guess nothing else to do in a small town and it fills the entertainment quota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Geez...could you be any more general and paint with any broader a brush? Sure...country people are saints and city people just want to hurt little kids and puppies. I wonder what your age is, as that might explain your lack of experience here and very big generalization.

In truth...what you have to look at is the life experience of the people. Most so-called country people are used to small towns and close knit groups of people. They live in areas with little change and everyone knows one another. That's not a bad thing, but it leads to familiarity and a certain level of expectation in their interactions.

These people who live in more rural areas are generally out of their element when they go to more urban areas and interact with locals in the city. They tend to incorrectly assume that because people in the city don't stop to take 10 minutes to ask about their family or other aspects of their lives that the city folks are "rude" or arrogant. I don't think that's the case. It's just the difference in city living and culture. People in the city can't possibly take as intimate an interest in each person they see or talk to, just due to sheer numbers. I'm not sure how else you can determine so many negatives just by running into people.

In the city, people don't all know each other. It's not possible. However, if you are friends with someone in the city and know them well, I think the same loyalty and generosity applies in the city as in the country. I would say in some ways city folks are more generous because they may have the economic means to be. Not sure there, but possible.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosucks View Post
After living in New York, Michigan and Pennsylvania and growing up in Phoenix and now living in Idaho, I must say you nailed it on the head. People in the cities just don't spend enless hours on useless conversation. Took me years watching small town folks doing this as a way of gathering information about you and then it becomes their whole means of conversation with other people. I guess nothing else to do in a small town and it fills the entertainment quota.
Well apparently in this city you can get that,because in the neighborhoods I've been in they do just that! It's like a small town feel without the small town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies