Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 08:02 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
and what about a flag tells you otherwise?
Nothing at all would be the answer to that question, we just have a bunch of posters here who are educated by the TV and the government approved education system. Most have never done any true research on the civil war or the confederate flag. Read a few books for God's sake. Quit relying on your peers and your politicians to educate you about the past, present, and future. Know what I am saying J. I am so sick of "popular opinion" ruling the minds of the American people, telling them what is and what isn't. Learn for yourselves and until you can say you have actually really researched a subject, keep your posts and your minds open to the possible information you may receive here. If nothing else, you can at least check up on facts others give and see if its bull##@! or not. Either way the core message is think for yourself and be educated about the subjects you choose to draw conclusions about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:29 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
"All men are created equal ..." duh!
He is talking about the south DUH!!! :-)
The South thought it was unconstitutional what??
The North thought it was unconstitutional about the slaves not the south...
So my question is what did the south thought ti was unconstitutional about the federal gov.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
As far as I know nothing... But its what they felt at the time.
OH,, ok...

If you read some biograghies and autobiograghies it is in enlightning as to what the mind set was. From what I understand. If I in fact do? The major heartburn was about Federal laws bypassing or over riding state laws.
The constitution states that all federal law are "the law of the land" so that was not unconstitutional..

Example. Some states are now called sanctuary states because they refuse to enforce immigration laws or even cooperate with ICE. In the souths mind they were entitled to conduct their cities and states as their taxpayer/voters saw fit. Most folks today still feel this way North and south. The difference was that it had been a strom building for some time. The south had some major bones with interstate trade regulations that they felt were decidedly biased against them. Guess what many were. Why? Because more Northern poilticians than southern politicians and more power in DC. Even now it takes a whole bunch of southern states to equal New yorks political clout. Hmmm A whole lot of northern states too.
As I have said before it was a complex situation that led to war. It was not so simple as Hey yall we wanna keep R slaves. To understand it one needs to read the biograghies and auto's of the players involved. Slavery was a small part of it for both sides.
I see...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
and what about a flag tells you otherwise?
You Republicans alway defend your racist constituency [since the South is the last safe place for the GOP

Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If I am not mistaken, even hippies and bikers from the 1960s starting using the flag as a sign of independence and yes, rebellion.
You are correct - the flag was very common in SFO in and around Haight Ashbury - and with the biker set -

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You Republicans alway defend your racist constituency [since the South is the last safe place for the GOP
I'm not a republicrat - and the flag is not a racist symbol regardless of how much you try to suggest it is -

Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Here we go again.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 PM

122 posts, read 168,695 times
I remember reading about this a bit ago. Surprised to see it in Tampa Bay - would seem to be more like something that would go over up in the Panhandle - and it is a disturbing trend. I just hope that visitors to Florida don't use things like that to form blanket opinions on our state when, ironically, we are by far the most de-Southernized state of the ex-Confederacy. Florida has far, far, far more transplanted Midwesterners and Northeasterners than it does native-born citizens who can trace their ancestry back to Florida in the antebellum years. Contrary to what that flag would suggest, the sentiment for Dixie does not run deep at all here - and the people responsible for this monstrous display are likely embarrassed by that simple fact. Florida is a cosmopolitan, urbanized, diverse state with people from all over the world, where a Latin accent or Northern nasal twang is more likely to be heard than a Southern drawl; and that silly little flag flying over Tampa is nothing more than a dying, pathetic vestige of a state that has not existed since the 1940's, and (fortunately) will never exist again.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm not a republicrat - and the flag is not a racist symbol regardless of how much you try to suggest it is -
Right & I also understand that you still believe in the tooth fairy

Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Right & I also understand that you still believe in the tooth fairy
Your degrading remarks aside - I do not find, nor percieve the flag as being racist - and, as previously noted - I display the flag proudly at my home - and plan on continuing to do so. And again - my foster daughter who is African American loves her "battle flag" beach towel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies