Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:57 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times

Advertisements

Right, but this year they get 9 holidays, next year only 8...there'll be a way for the ACLU to find that's discriminatory against the muslims.

Or maybe not.

Who am I to speculate? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
This year they get nine holidays because the holiday they are switching out isn't Labor Day, it's their personal birthday. Since we're so far into the year, many people have already taken their birthdays off, it wouldn't be fair at this date to deny the people whose birthdays fall into the last part of the year their personal day. Next year, people will be able to opt to take their birthday, another personal day, or Eid al-Fitr at their discretion.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 PM

36,513 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
This year they get nine holidays because the holiday they are switching out isn't Labor Day, it's their personal birthday
Thats not how I read it DC.

Quote:
The union membership voted overwhelmingly Thursday to reinstate Labor Day as one of the plant’s paid holidays, while keeping Eid al-Fitr as an additional paid holiday for this year only.
Starting nex yr. they can take their personal day on their birthday (already given) or take Eid al-Fitr or trade any holiday for Eid al-Fitr with approval.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
I honestly don't try to be cynical but I am so damned tired of today's PC'ness and appeasement, at the expense of anything traditionally American.

Sorry if it sounds like a rant sometimes.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thats not how I read it DC.

Starting nex yr. they can take their personal day on their birthday (already given) or take Eid al-Fitr or trade any holiday for Eid al-Fitr with approval.
Uhhh, that's what I said.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Uhhh, that's what I said.
You said This year they get nine holidays because the holiday they are switching out isn't Labor Day, it's their personal birthday

They get 9 holidays this yr. both Labor day and Eid al-Fitr as well as their birthday. Am I missing something? It has been a long day.

Anyway why didnt the brains come up with that deal to begin with. Oh, well then we would have missed out on this wonderful debate.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:54 PM

bbkaren
thanks for the update(article).

Quote:
I honestly don't try to be cynical but I am so damned tired of today's PC'ness and appeasement, at the expense of anything traditionally American.

Sorry if it sounds like a rant sometimes.
Dont sweat it. Many of us are becomming more cynical especially as we get older. Go ahead and rant publically while you still have the freedom to do so.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 PM

They normally get eight paid holidays a year.

This year they weren't going to get Labor Day, but were going to get Eid al-Fitr instead. It didn't affect their personal holiday.

People not associated with the plant were outraged, and pressured Tyson's and the union to renegotiate the contract. Instead of switching out Labor Day, they will switch out employees' personal birthday. Since this year is more than half over, and it would be unfair to ask employees whose birthdays have not yet occurred, people will get to keep their personal day, as well as Labor Day and Eid al-Fitr.

Therefore, this year they will have nine paid holiday, but will return to the original eight paid holidays next year.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:16 PM

That is clearer. Maybe it was the punctuation or like I said its been a long day!

Im not sure where your getting:
Quote:
People not associated with the plant were outraged, and pressured Tyson's and the union to renegotiate the contract.
From what I read:
Quote:
Tyson made this request on behalf of its Shelbyville plant employees, some of whom had expressed concern about the new contract provisions relative to paid holidays. In an effort to be responsive, Tyson asked the union to reopen the contract to address the holiday issue, and the union agreed to do so.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:25 PM

It has been a long day, and I'm so looking forward to the weekend.

To answer your question, Tyson's had to make its request to the union on the behalf of the people affected, you don't request a union reconsider a demand on the behalf of people the demand doesn't affect. But it would be naive to think that the outrage expressed by so many of the public, including Tennessee politicians, didn't play a major part in Tyson's decision to request modification of the contract at this time instead of letting the employees drive the union to request modification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies