Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,438 times

Advertisements

According to retired police Capt. Tim Hettrich, who until recently headed the narcotics unit, Chief "Heather Fong" ( I smell Affirmative Action ) made it clear that she did not want officers to cooperate with ICE and other federal agencies when it came to arresting illegal immigrants for crimes.

Hettrich said it was “common knowledge” throughout the department that “you were not to do anything with ICE or immigration and illegals whether or not they committed a crime - even to arrest them - because there will be the perception we are harassing illegals.”

Instead, the job was left to the Sheriff’s Department, he said.

Hettrich said he had conversations with the chief about this issue over the years. The most recent, Hettrich said, was about nine months ago when he wanted to work with federal authorities on investigating the MS-13 street gang - one of whose alleged members, Salvadoran immigrant Edwin Ramos, has since been accused of killing a father and two sons on an Excelsior district street in June.

“You are not to work with these (federal) people,” Hettrich recalled Fong telling him.

VDARE.com: Blog Articles » Retired San Francisco Narcotics Cop Blows Whistle on City Hall

How are the heavily taxed citizens of San Francisco supposed to be served and protected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
The heavily taxed citizens have continued to vote a certain political mentality of people into office so I presume that whatever happens up there is happening because the heavily taxed citizens of San Fransisco have no problem with it. If only they would adopt Las Vegas' motto.

Last edited by da jammer; 08-04-2008 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 02:58 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
As inept as SF can be, most of the major SF taxpayers live in PacHts and PresidioHts, which are fairly safe areas (no less safe than most affluent suburbs anywhere).....so much of this crime happens in parts of SF that don't matter to many taxpayers...

But if SF attempts to raise taxes on affluent much more, suspect many hedge funds/pvt equity shops currently located in City will simply move their offices down to SV...or just leave for more capitalist, logically-run BeverlyHills....

Old 08-04-2008, 03:05 PM

They'll go to Dubai or Miami... places with no deomocrats, unions, regulations, cry babies, or other hinderances to making money.

Surprise!

http://faktorial.com/uploaded_images...osi-796086.jpg

Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Not really....too many IQ-challenged people in either of those places...and weather/food/QOL sucks....

Many hard-core guys who hate excessive taxes opt for London....

But, actually, more commonly, alternatives in US are chosen....Greenwich, CT taxes/regulations, as well as Chicago, are notably more friendly than anywhere in CA....

Many hedge funds left Manhattan yrs ago to reduce their taxes by being Greenwich-based...

Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
According to retired police Capt. Tim Hettrich, who until recently headed the narcotics unit, Chief "Heather Fong" ( I smell Affirmative Action )
What is that supposed to mean?? Just because she happens to be an Asian woman, you say "affirmative action" - did it occur to you that she might be the BEST for the job?? Or is everyone non-White/Aryan/Male somehow less qualified in your mind?? Sorry, but I just found that comment to be very obnoxious. As for the rest of your post, I honestly have no opinion... but this is probably a topic that's more appropriate for the immigration forum, so I might move it there if things get too heated.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What is that supposed to mean?? Just because she happens to be an Asian woman, you say "affirmative action" - did it occur to you that she might be the BEST for the job?? Or is everyone non-White/Aryan/Male somehow less qualified in your mind?? Sorry, but I just found that comment to be very obnoxious. As for the rest of your post, I honestly have no opinion... but this is probably a topic that's more appropriate for the immigration forum, so I might move it there if things get too heated.
Depending on how we feel about "affirmative action", we can either thank or blame Richard Nixon for it!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Depending on how we feel about "affirmative action", we can either thank or blame Richard Nixon for it!
That's a whole other discussion altogether... but my point was that it's obnoxious to assume "affirmative action" just because somebody isn't a White Aryan male. What if they were actually qualified for the job?? It's not like only White people have degrees, experience, good references, etc. Anyway, off-topic!!

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-08-2008 at 07:36 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 PM

I think San Francisco is beautiful, unique, and has some of the best cuisine I have ever tasted. I would like to return. I just don't understand why the city has to scare potential tourists like me away by being at the center of every hot button political debate in the country. Actually, it's not at the center of every debate, it's usually far left of consensus. This story is just one in a long line of horrible management decisions by the people who run the city. Political orientation aside, I won't spend money in a city that openly defies - if not mocks - the very fabric of our nation.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,321 times
The left-right spectrum really has nothing to do with it. there are tons of grandstanding, petty wannabe's in SF politics. There's a reason few of them grow beyond the area and the ones who do are nothing special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies