Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I live in the south and people here are much more friendly to "hispanics" than one who thinks they know this region might expect. I could care less if someone is from Spain or South America, so long as they are good people.

Suprisingly I agree with this statement. I think alot of people would be suprised at how well hispanics get along with "whites" in the south.

When it comes down to it though the average day ordinary man does not see a big differnce between Spaniards and people from south america. We can try to get all technical about it, but its not worth debating.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
In all honesty, the only time I've ever thought someone was "white" was if they were a White American. I feel like categorizing all of Europe as "white" is absolutely retarded. It is a continent of many different countries with unique histories and cultures.

When I see one of my German friends, I don't think of them as "white", I think of them as German. Same with my Swedish friend, and Danish friend. If I had a friend from Spain, I wouldn't think of them as "white" either, because I don't think of people by color unless they're American.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 PM

983 posts, read 3,598,260 times
Default White in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
In all honesty, the only time I've ever thought someone was "white" was if they were a White American. I feel like categorizing all of Europe as "white" is absolutely retarded. It is a continent of many different countries with unique histories and cultures.

When I see one of my German friends, I don't think of them as "white", I think of them as German. Same with my Swedish friend, and Danish friend. If I had a friend from Spain, I wouldn't think of them as "white" either, because I don't think of people by color unless they're American.
That's an interesting view.
Indeed, White is more than just skin color. There's a reason why phrases like "act white", "speak white", "dress white" are used, as ridiculous as some people may find them, they reflect how the American society defines the term.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
In my opinion, there are different types of white people. There are Western Europeans that are divided into two major categories: Germanic and Latin. Germanic being northern Europeans, Germans, British, and Nordics. Southern Europeans or Latins being French, Spanish, and Italian. Then, there are "Other" Europeans such as Eastern Euros (Russians, Romanians, Yugoslavians, etc.etc.)

Full Spaniards are by definition "white" people. If you want to go against concrete anthropological facts then be you're free to question but your opinions won't change anything.

The way I see things, if the average person looks white and lives his or her life as a white person then I would consider that person to be white. There are many different types of white people as there are many different type of Asians, and Africans.

I'll just throw some very broad generalizations of mine.

Spaniards=Western European White (some mixed with Arab)
British=Western European White (some mix)
Germans=Western European White
Italians=Western European White (some mixed with black)
Greeks=Mediterranean White
Armenians=Middle Eastern
Jews=Middle Eastern
Indians from India=Middle Eastern and Asian
Russians=Eastern European White mixed with Asian
Argentinians=Latinos
Colombians=Mestizo
Puerto Ricans=Latino/Black
Mexicans=Latino/Native American
Dominicans=Black

Just my general observation.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:19 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
You got that right, brother. Spot on.
Actually they came from all parts of North Africa, even a few from Ethiopia and Somalia, but most were from Morocco, Libya and portions of Egypt.
I believe some Moors came from present day Mauretania and even into the present day Senegal River Valley, Mali and Niger too. Here's some more info. on the group: Moors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-28-2009, 05:25 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
In my opinion, there are different types of white people. There are Western Europeans that are divided into two major categories: Germanic and Latin. Germanic being northern Europeans, Germans, British, and Nordics. Southern Europeans or Latins being French, Spanish, and Italian. Then, there are "Other" Europeans such as Eastern Euros (Russians, Romanians, Yugoslavians, etc.etc.)

Full Spaniards are by definition "white" people. If you want to go against concrete anthropological facts then be you're free to question but your opinions won't change anything.

The way I see things, if the average person looks white and lives his or her life as a white person then I would consider that person to be white. There are many different types of white people as there are many different type of Asians, and Africans.

I'll just throw some very broad generalizations of mine.

Spaniards=Western European White (some mixed with Arab)
British=Western European White (some mix)
Germans=Western European White
Italians=Western European White (some mixed with black)
Greeks=Mediterranean White
Armenians=Middle Eastern
Jews=Middle Eastern
Indians from India=Middle Eastern and Asian
Russians=Eastern European White mixed with Asian
Argentinians=Latinos
Colombians=Mestizo
Puerto Ricans=Latino/Black
Mexicans=Latino/Native American
Dominicans=Black

Just my general observation.
You can throw in Black for Columbians and Panamanians too. Italians for Argentinians(40% of the people there are of Italian descent, btw) as well. Mestizo for Bolivians, Chileans, Peruvians and those from Paraguay. Uruguay is similar to Argentina, but with a small but noticable Black population(around 5%). Equador is highly Mestizo, with decent straight Spanish and Black/"Mulatto" populations. Most of the Central American countries are highly Mestizo as well, with some like Honduras, Nicaraugua, Belize and Costa Rica with with small, but noticable to high Black populations mainly on the Caribbean Coast due to many coming from countries like Jamaica and others in the Caribbean.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,945 times
I don't think that most Americans think that Spaniards are non-white.

Many people, however, do think of Spanish people, the ones they refer to as "hispanic", as being non-white.

Why is this?

1) The Census bureau separates them from other whites.

2) Since "hispanic" is a cultural/linguistic designation, people of any race can be classified as "hispanic". Most of the "hispanics" in the U.S. are not white, but are rather mestizo (mixed Indian/"native" american with Spaniard). So, when the numbers of "hispanics" are overwhelmingly non-white, many assume that hispanics aren't white.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Because in America white often means Caucasian.. it's not just the color of your skin.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can throw in Black for Columbians and Panamanians too. Italians for Argentinians(40% of the people there are of Italian descent, btw) as well. Mestizo for Bolivians, Chileans, Peruvians and those from Paraguay. Uruguay is similar to Argentina, but with a small but noticable Black population(around 5%). Equador is highly Mestizo, with decent straight Spanish and Black/"Mulatto" populations. Most of the Central American countries are highly Mestizo as well, with some like Honduras, Nicaraugua, Belize and Costa Rica with with small, but noticable to high Black populations mainly on the Caribbean Coast due to many coming from countries like Jamaica and others in the Caribbean.
That's right Colombians do have black in them. Couldn't quite pinpoint it. They're like Mayan, Black, and Spanish.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:50 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times
Default Not too sure about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Moors were also white. They were not black Africans.
I've got a friend from Argentina. Several generations in the New World from Spain. However, the guy obviously has African in him (very dark olive skin, a well-developed kinky Afro that he is quite proud of and keeps full). My wife is black American and one time over a few beers we got to talk about our family's ancestry. He told me that his descendants in Spain were a well-known family of Moors that converted in the 15th or 16th century to Roman Catholic Christianity rather than get expelled back to Morocco during the Reconquista (the original, that is, not the modern one in the SW US. :-) ).

He claims that his features and hair , rather to my surprise, didn't come from any mixed relationships later in South America but probably due to the fact that many folks from N. Africa are mixed Mediterranian whites with S. of the Saharan Black.

Most wealthy Mahgrebian men had more than one wife or had one wife with many many cocubines. Like many men even today they enjoyed variety and mixed their cafe' au laite with dark chocolate'. If you look at most folks today from Mouratainia around to Egypt you'll find a continuim from white or latino looking guys like Omar Sharif to guys who look like American light-medium dark blaks like Anwar Sadat (who was played in the movie of his life story by Lou Gosset who looked just like him!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies