Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 12:39 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Some Americans don't know that both Spaniards and Spanish people apply to the same people. I notice when people think of Spanish people, Latin Americans(regardless of actual origin) immediately come to mind. But when the word is switched up a little, Spaniard instead of Spanish, it's clear to most people that the Spaniards are the Europeans who are from either Spain or whose origins are predominately from that country.
That's why people say Hispanic, not Spanish. Even that is incorrect because we all know that the heritages are very blurred in places like that where the Spanish/Portuguese or whatever country colonized a certain area doesn't want the people separating themselves into their heritages because then they will eventually take back their country or at the very least unite and point out who is responsible for what when it comes to the current conditions of these countries.

That wouldn't work out well for the countries that "colonized" these places because they are in fact most to blame for the current conditions of these countries and still exploit them to this day.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM

91 posts, read 93,678 times
This brings up another sad fact: the average American is so dumb as to not know "Jewish" refers to an ETHNICITY (which includes two different skin tones) but refers to a religion AS WELL. A few years ago I was at a swimming pool in a mostly Jewish area of NYC. I saw a young guy who was obviously flirting with the lifeguard ask if she was Jewish. She said "no I'm a Christian" which made me want to faint. He and her were clearly strangers to each other, so I didn't misinterpret this exchange. I guess most "gentiles" in NYC assume every other white person they know is from an Italian background...

Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
This brings up another sad fact: the average American is so dumb as to not know "Jewish" refers to an ETHNICITY (which includes two different skin tones) but refers to a religion AS WELL. A few years ago I was at a swimming pool in a mostly Jewish area of NYC. I saw a young guy who was obviously flirting with the lifeguard ask if she was Jewish. She said "no I'm a Christian" which made me want to faint. He and her were clearly strangers to each other, so I didn't misinterpret this exchange. I guess most "gentiles" in NYC assume every other white person they know is from an Italian background...
Is it really necessary to make generalizations of everybody in a city full of 8 million people based on one person, let alone everybody in a country full of over 300 million?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Couldntthinkofaclevername, that was only one of MANY times that issue has come up for me. Another time I asked my friend if his friend was Jewish, and my friend said "no, Catholic". He should have said "no, Italian (American)" or "no, Italian Catholic" because his friend's looks made me ask.

Hell, a lot of Americans I've met don't even know the difference between an Israeli and a Palestinian, or the difference between an Arab and a Muslim...

Anyway, can we agree that "Hispanic" simply means "of or relating to Spain or former Spanish colonies"? I think where Americans get confused is when they mean to say "mestizo" but say "Hispanic" instead. And "Latino" includes the Portuguese as well as Spanish culture and diaspora. Latin America is made up of 19 ex-Spanish colonies, one large Portuguese colony (Brazil), and a few current French colonies. Haitians (they live in Haiti) speak Creole, which is more like an African language than French. The only independent French-speaking area of the Americas is Quebec. Cajun is like a white rural Louisiana version of Creole. The Cajuns are descended from early Quebec settlers. Creole was also historically spoken by New Orleans African Americans.

Last edited by kleinberglowenstein; 02-26-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
The only independent French-speaking area of the Americas is Quebec. ..
Hmm... Quebec is not "independent".

Quote:
. The Cajuns are descended from early Quebec settlers..
Cajuns are actually descended from Acadians, who settled in the part of Canada east of present-day Quebec (today the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island).

Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM

By "independent" I meant as opposed to ruled by a European country, unless you count the UK now...

Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
By "independent" I meant as opposed to ruled by a European country, unless you count the UK now...
OK, gotcha now.

What is interesting about Quebec is that it is the only true "human colony" of France, where a group of people largely of French origin is still today living their lives in French in what might be called an "offshoot" culture.

Whereas other former colonial empires like Britain and Spain have many more "human colonies" or at least variants on the phenomenon.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
It's funny how the media portrays full blooded Spaniards like Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz and Julio Iglesias as non-whites.

There are many native Spaniards with blue eyes and blonde hair, but just because most have brown eyes, dark hair an a tan, dfoesnt mean they aint white.

I mean most Americans would consider them non-white.

The same Americans would say Christiano Ronaldo (portugese), Al Pacino (Italian-American) and Monica Belucci (Italian) are white.
I've never heard of any Spaniard referred to as non-white.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Speaking of racism BY white Spanish people, a Spanish Olympic basketball team posed for a picture making the "Chinese eyes" gesture. I guess the Spanish do have good relations with the Asians after all; Spain did colonize the Philippines and there are many multiracial Filipinos.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
It's funny how the media portrays full blooded Spaniards like Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz and Julio Iglesias as non-whites.

There are many native Spaniards with blue eyes and blonde hair, but just because most have brown eyes, dark hair an a tan, dfoesnt mean they aint white.

I mean most Americans would consider them non-white.

The same Americans would say Christiano Ronaldo (portugese), Al Pacino (Italian-American) and Monica Belucci (Italian) are white.
Italian, Spanish and Portugese are all non-White
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies