Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:15 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I can't believe you posted this thread when so many others exist. Please search and you can read the debates ad nauseum.

The truth is, only down in MIAMI is this an issue. No ANGLO in the entire country of the United States cares about this issue that you guys spend day and night debating. We don't care about your internal Hispanic Latino diversity fights, we don't care about your colloquial and idomatic linguistic differences, we don't care about your superiority complexes arguing if you are from European decent versus the lowly Mexican....we never give it a moments thought even though you guys are consumed with the issue.

Further, OP, you seem obsessed with race even starting yet other threads about interracial dating and why Asians don't move to Miami.

Like I've said before, Americans love the melting pot idea and value diversity. It's the immigrants that won't let it become so. I'm 54 years old and have been a part time Florida resident for life until moving here. Never in all my life did I even know this was a controversy. THAT's because I stayed away from Miami. City of crackpots. Good luck getting your pubic transit in shape if this is the way you guys act in your real lives. LOL
Out of sight, out of mind. No wonder you praised the cult of diversity.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:28 AM

910 posts, read 753,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Most Spaniards are white, but there is a certain percentage that has obvious non-white blood from the Moor invasions centuries earlier. Penelope Cruz has obvious non-white blood. Antonio Banderes, on the other hand, looks to be a full-blood Spaniard, a white.
uh, but that's not unique to Spain (that happens across Europe, from the different invasions)...nobody on this planet has 100% white blood.

You mention Penelope Cruz (debatable yes)...but I could say the same thing about Catherine Zeta Jones who is Welsh (and so are her parents). Zeta Jones could "pass" perhaps for Middle Eastern. Why is there an obsession with linking Spain to the Moors when it was an occupation, not an invasion (and 800 years, but not everywhere in Spain, only in a tiny part did they stay the full 800 years).

All of my family is from Spain and none of us look Moorish at all although as my grandfather once said, and I fully agree: "even if I had Moorish blood, I wouldn't recognize it as my own."

Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 19,666 times
It is true that there is 'Moorish blood' in Spain, but it has been exaggerated. Moorish blood is more important in Italy, for instance. Take a look at this graphic: [url="http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/%7Emcdonald/WorldHaplogroupsMaps.pdf"]. Blue and green show Moorish/Arab genes. As you can see, Moorish/Arab blood in Spain is just as important as Northern European blood (color pink), or even less. But the clearly prevailing color is red, that is, Atlantic/Western European, showing that Britons/Irish and Iberians are very close genetically. Quite logical, if you consider that most Western Europeans may come from migrations from a refuge in northern Spain after the Last Ice Age.

Phenotipically, though, most Spaniards are West Mediterranean (like most Portuguese, many Southern French, Corsicans and many Italians). Natural blond hair or black hair is uncommon in Spain (about 10 to 20%), the most common being brown in all shades. Having traveled all over Spain, I'd say that Cordoba is the area where Moorish presence is a bit more obvious, but never more than the Mediterranean one. It may be due to Cordoba being the ancient capital of the Umayyad Caliphate. Actually, it is rather a kind of mixture, mostly Mediterranean but with a darker hair and a longer nose, which might be the reason why Cordoban women have a reputation for being very beautiful in the rest of Spain.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Yeah alot of dumb*****!
Dominican cabbie saids he's not black, the Haitians are black! Only in NYC they call me black. LOL!
You have to understand most Americans are very ignorant about other cultures. Most can't even point out where NYC on the map let alone where Spain is.

What I understand is that you just made one of the stupidest posts EVER.

Go away, troll.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
White means American.
Or any other ENGLISH speaking peoples such as Brits, Aussies, Canadians, etc.
Get it? Got it?
Good.
I thought my head was going to explode after reading this.
I didn't think that anyone could be this stupid, but I guess I was wrong.

Quick, someone go and tell everyone from Germany, France, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Norway, etc. that they are not white because they a) aren't American, and b) they don't speak English.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:22 PM

343 posts, read 942,455 times
You know what personally confuses me. Both of my parents are Mexican. My dad is colored eyed, white complexed with light brown hair is classified as white. My mom is dark and looks aztec. My birth certificate says I am white. So whenever I fill out application should I put down I am white or Hispanic? Sorry to go off on a tangent but hopefully we can get to a point were we are all considered the same here in the USA.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 31,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uman View Post
It is true that there is 'Moorish blood' in Spain, but it has been exaggerated. Moorish blood is more important in Italy, for instance. Take a look at this graphic: [url="http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/%7Emcdonald/WorldHaplogroupsMaps.pdf"]. Blue and green show Moorish/Arab genes. As you can see, Moorish/Arab blood in Spain is just as important as Northern European blood (color pink), or even less. But the clearly prevailing color is red, that is, Atlantic/Western European, showing that Britons/Irish and Iberians are very close genetically. Quite logical, if you consider that most Western Europeans may come from migrations from a refuge in northern Spain after the Last Ice Age.

Phenotipically, though, most Spaniards are West Mediterranean (like most Portuguese, many Southern French, Corsicans and many Italians). Natural blond hair or black hair is uncommon in Spain (about 10 to 20%), the most common being brown in all shades. Having traveled all over Spain, I'd say that Cordoba is the area where Moorish presence is a bit more obvious, but never more than the Mediterranean one. It may be due to Cordoba being the ancient capital of the Umayyad Caliphate. Actually, it is rather a kind of mixture, mostly Mediterranean but with a darker hair and a longer nose, which might be the reason why Cordoban women have a reputation for being very beautiful in the rest of Spain.
LOLOLOL what a punch of garbage. Well...the only time my nose gets that long is when i lie like Pinoccio...LOLOL

Last edited by Burgos; 08-10-2008 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
It's funny how the media portrays full blooded Spaniards like Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz and Julio Iglesias as non-whites.

There are many native Spaniards with blue eyes and blonde hair, but just because most have brown eyes, dark hair an a tan, dfoesnt mean they aint white.

I mean most Americans would consider them non-white.

The same Americans would say Christiano Ronaldo (portugese), Al Pacino (Italian-American) and Monica Belucci (Italian) are white.
True. I just think that it is because most identifiable Latinos in the US are mixed race Mexicans (American Indian and Spainard), Cubans (often black and Spainard), and Dominicans (black and Spainard). So Latinos are kinda sorta seen as their own race and it also has a lot to do with sharing the same language and similar cultures.

Not to say that I share this view. I think it is kinda funny. Within a generation or two you often cannot tell the difference. Cameron Diaz is Cuban, but she sure doesn't look like the typical stereotype of a Latin woman.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
I thought this board was stupid before. I think many of you should just steer clear of terms like "Hispanic," "white," "Latino," etc. They cover many concepts beyond the neat little package of "race."

Old 08-10-2008, 06:23 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I thought this board was stupid .....
Agreed. Ignorance must be bliss, because this thread has had lots of happy contributors. Color me outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies