Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: who is more greedy, the rich or the poor?
the rich are more greedy 59 44.36%
the poor are more greedy 27 20.30%
they are equally greedy 47 35.34%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:01 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
housing is needed? funny, I was homeless for 6 months and I survived, so it obviously isn't needed.
Food is needed? Funny, since people in some countries fast and don't eat for a long time and they survived, so it obviously isn't needed. I think you may be the smartest person I've ever typed a message to before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 04:43 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
who is the more greedy of the two? we always hear about the evil oil companies. we hear about greedy CEO's. we always hear people whining and complaining that they should be taxed at a higher rate. forget the fact that they already pay the bulk of taxes, people want them to be taxed more. but why? it's because they want more free stuff from the government. so who is more greedy? those who want to keep more of what they earn, or those who demand they take more out of someone else's pocket so they have to provide even less for themselves?
Those who don't need the money to cover VERY basic living expenses of food and shelter should be taxed more.

The poor aren't eating steaks and lobster, or living in a home with a pool, a sauna, a home fitness center, or big screen TV's.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I think "greed" is the desire for that which you have not earned. Criminals, rich or poor, are the most greedy. They want what they have not earned and have no right to.

What about people who buy on credit then...aren't THEY greedy?

If you have a mortgage, doesn't that make you greedy? It's money you haven't EARNED yet, after all.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What about people who buy on credit then...aren't THEY greedy?

If you have a mortgage, doesn't that make you greedy? It's money you haven't EARNED yet, after all.
It depends on whether they are buying basic necessities of life, or frivolous toys. A person who buys a house with a mortgage is, basicly, just renting the house from an owner who contractually agrees to convey the property after a certain agreed upon amount of rent has been reached. If I "sell" you a house, I am in fact selling the house to a lender, who in turn rents it to you.
Any rental agreement (other than month-to-month) always anticipates that money not yet earned will fall due at some future date. What makes a house mortgage quite different from the purchase of anything else on credit, is that the house is expected to appreciate in value, and at some date, be worh more than the balance owing.

Most Americans actually have negative worth. Their debts exceed their equity and their assets. This make such a person in fact poorer than a guy in Calcutta who owns the piece of cardboard that he sleeps on in the street, but owes nothng to anybody. However, Americans, rich and poor alike, think of themselves as much richer because Americans have "prospects"---reasonable expectations that enough money will turn up in the future to cover living expenses. So, it is not "greed" that motivates a peson to buy basic essentials against that expectation of a future capacity to pay. It is greed, however, to buy trivial luxuries whose cost is beyond a future ability to pay.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:43 PM

I pay cash...and rent two weeks in advance.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:19 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
they are taxed more, but it obviously isn't enough, which is where poor greed comes in. how do you know poor people don't have big screen TV's? I know the ones who live where I live seem to have decent cars and nice blue tooth cell phones, all while having plenty of non government money for beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Those who don't need the money to cover VERY basic living expenses of food and shelter should be taxed more.

The poor aren't eating steaks and lobster, or living in a home with a pool, a sauna, a home fitness center, or big screen TV's.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 AM

food and water are needed for the body to continue functioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Food is needed? Funny, since people in some countries fast and don't eat for a long time and they survived, so it obviously isn't needed. I think you may be the smartest person I've ever typed a message to before.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:22 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,892 times
The very poor are much more greedy because they usually feel a sense of entitlement and believe they should be paid well for doing jobs that require low skills.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:23 AM

from my experience, I learned the causes of 85% of poverty. I am socially liberal, but I am not for liberally spending someone else's money. people who think like that, are greedy, and that's my point. it's always so easy to spend someone else's money, especially when liberals paint them as being the evil rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My wife was also born and grew up in inner city Detroit, and her father was arrested and sent to prison when she was 11 years old. From her experiences, she learned to be a liberal, because she saw what happened to people who were swept under the carpet by Big Brother. She knew what it was like to be homeless as a child, not just as an educated and literate adult. Some people's hearts get softened and some get hardened. There's your difference.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
The very poor are much more greedy because they usually feel a sense of entitlement and believe they should be paid well for doing jobs that require low skills.
In other words, wages should be commensurate with the amount of skill required to do the job, not with the amount of work actually performed. Do you have any idea how much skill it takes to put on a necktie and go to a cubicle and post on message boards and make paper airplanes, for which people are paid 60K? Go to the airport and take an attache case away from a guy in the departure lounge and hand it to a dropout with a hangover, and send him to the coast to sleep in a Marriott for a few nights and eat lobster. Exactly the same amount of work will be performed (n fact, probably more---he'll wash out his own socks in the hotel sink) but he won't greedily demand as much money for doing it.

The poor ought to be happy if they have a job, at a dollar an hour, digging holes in the ground and filling them back in again, which requires very little skill. Only the greedy would expect more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies