Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 04:58 AM

418 posts, read 564,573 times

Advertisements

Ah, to add to my post...

One can also know about crime rates through indicators such as poverty, child poverty, teen pregnancies perhaps, inequality...

As we know, US has worst poverty, inequality, most "scummy" 3rd world neighbourhoods, and highest teen pregnancy rate out of modern countries.

Immigration(in particulary illegal) may also be a factor, but is not the only one for sure.

Per head of population, Canada and OZ get much more immigrants than US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:01 AM

418 posts, read 564,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You dont need to put them in prison if you protect yourself. Courts put people in prison. When ONE person pulls out a gun or other weapon in a crowded place he should be overwhelmed with resistance. Just as the current trend is fueled by the knowledge that they can proceed virtually without fear, a trend in a different direction would occur if they regularly met with quick decisive resistance.
I understand you perfectly... but I'm talking here about budget that is going to collapse.

If I'm not wrong, there was a raise in tax in some state, to build new prisons.
Correct me, though.

The amount spent on prisoners could be much better spent. Taxes will have to go up, because the number of prisoners is growing at skyhigh rate.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:21 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
I understand you perfectly... but I'm talking here about budget that is going to collapse.

If I'm not wrong, there was a raise in tax in some state, to build new prisons.
Correct me, though.

The amount spent on prisoners could be much better spent. Taxes will have to go up, because the number of prisoners is growing at skyhigh rate.
You could be right on the prison cost. Blame the liberals for that. A person in prison should be put to work 8 hours a day to cover his/her cost. Prisons are only a huge burden because we outfit them like free hotels complete with libraries & health club memberships.
4 walls & a cot are much cheaper.

You keep talking about "Per head immigration" we have over 12 million illegal immigrants. Thats almost 1/2 of Canadas population. You cant compare us with them in that manner. Theres many contributing factors to it. We have bigger more numerous metro centers where crime breeds than either Canada or Australia. Neither has to worry about poor from another country simply walking in.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:08 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
Unfortunately, I agree... as long as I'm not the one in the morgue.

That said, I couldn't kill a man because he eg took my jacket... at worst, I'd kill if threatened for life(so no other way), or such thing happened to my family.
Friend, your position is reasonable and shared by (with a few exceptions, I'm sure) the rest of us.

In my opinion, there is no other circumstance that justifies killing another person in a self defense situation...I disagree with people who feel it's ok to shoot others who mistakenly enter their home, or in other situations that are clearly not a threat to the person's security or well-being.

If I didn't really feel threatened, I wouldn't shoot (not to mention the fact that the burden is on me, living in NJ, to convince the law that I did indeed feel threatened...)

Old 08-10-2008, 07:15 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You could be right on the prison cost. Blame the liberals for that. A person in prison should be put to work 8 hours a day to cover his/her cost. Prisons are only a huge burden because we outfit them like free hotels complete with libraries & health club memberships.
4 walls & a cot are much cheaper.

You keep talking about "Per head immigration" we have over 12 million illegal immigrants. Thats almost 1/2 of Canadas population. You cant compare us with them in that manner. Theres many contributing factors to it. We have bigger more numerous metro centers where crime breeds than either Canada or Australia. Neither has to worry about poor from another country simply walking in.
You are SO right. There really should be a work program for prisoners, like...the less serious criminals should be out with ankle bracelets and a supervisor on site, doing the (farm, chicken plant, etc.) work illegal immigrants are doing now, for $10 an hour that would go back to the govt. to help pay for their room and board!

More serious criminals could be doing work "in house" and the money going toward their care and feeding. Imagine the money we'd save.

Sadly, though, I'm sure that's somehow against their "rights" or something.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Why do we permit people with such poor skills?
What would you propose? Simply eliminate them from society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies