Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 02:27 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You're not building a very good case for yourself when you ask people if the support the kkk just for asking a question..maybe it could be because of people like you is why some don't like diversity, you sound very racist to me.
Hahahaha, that's good. Because I accept & support diversity you accuse me of racism, classic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 02:43 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,097 times
I love going to my University and seeing the faces of so many people whose ethnicity and race originate from all over the world. It is beautiful, empowering, and wonderful that America is the land of immigrants. The place that so many people want to come to. The culture, food, tradition, religions, make America such an interesting place. We are not comprised of a single race, this is the biggest melting pot in the entire world. Think of the stories that some of these recent immigrants have. Facing oppression they escaped their home country under darkness of night and found sanctuary in the greatest country in the world. Obviously we have problems but gosh it sure makes me proud to live and be an American...

Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
then there are those of us who live in reality, and know the real story of recent "immigrants." there was no running water in their village, so they packed a toyota corolla full of 18 people and came to the country illegally. now they live in a 1 bdr apartment, do not pay taxes, and send all their money back to their country so they can retire there someday. that is the realistic picture of the current immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
I love going to my University and seeing the faces of so many people whose ethnicity and race originate from all over the world. It is beautiful, empowering, and wonderful that America is the land of immigrants. The place that so many people want to come to. The culture, food, tradition, religions, make America such an interesting place. We are not comprised of a single race, this is the biggest melting pot in the entire world. Think of the stories that some of these recent immigrants have. Facing oppression they escaped their home country under darkness of night and found sanctuary in the greatest country in the world. Obviously we have problems but gosh it sure makes me proud to live and be an American...

Old 08-10-2008, 04:32 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Funny how someone who apparently lives in a Washington suburb can make such a statement given the large number of very diverse neighborhoods in the District. Many of these neighborhoods have been racially and ethnically integrated since the 60s. I don't think you could find a city with less racial tension than the District.
This is true for places in most of Northern Virginia and some of Montgomery County, but once one gets in the city and many bordering places, you can notice the tension. DC is unique in that true racial integration is more affable in the suburbs than the city itself. As for the following suburbs, even the integrated ones are known for a parallel income structure among the ethnic groups, hence avoiding the rich ethnic group/poor ethnic group chasm that usually causes racially diverse neighbors to fail. This however can't be said for the city itself and certain neighboring places.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Diversity as a means to an end is one thing. But when diversity is the "end" it's nothing but a charade.

Real diversity is just tolerance and acceptance of other people who are different from us, minding our business and being kind to one another.

Few of us have a problem with that kind of diversity.

The new, improved, trendy "diversi-tay" is fake and contrived. Seeking out a different culture to live amongst just to make you feel trendy is poseur behavior. It's like saying "My kids don't watch tv, they watch pbs. (All day long)."
The best post I've seen so far.

SRY for the multiple post. That was an accident.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
Yes...exactly.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:43 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
This is true for places in most of Northern Virginia and some of Montgomery County, but once one gets in the city and many bordering places, you can notice the tension. DC is unique in that true racial integration is more affable in the suburbs than the city itself. As for the following suburbs, even the integrated ones are known for a parallel income structure among the ethnic groups, hence avoiding the rich ethnic group/poor ethnic group chasm that usually causes racially diverse neighbors to fail. This however can't be said for the city itself and certain neighboring places.
Your impression of the city couldn't be more incorrect. There is tension in the city in neighborhoods under change/gentrification, but it's economic not racial tension. That tension dissipates quickly after the developers move out. I live in a neighborhood that's been integrated since the 50s. I walk and commute through the city all the time and I've never felt uncomfortable other than in areas where there's a lot of drug traffic. In the suburbs other than PG county, blacks & Hispanics are distinct minorities. In the District as you go neighborhood by neighborhood you see "minorities" in local majorities. My neighborhood is about 60% black and probably about 10% Hispanic & Asian.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:55 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
my family was forced out of their home in DC because they made too much money. do you have a problem with that?

Quote:
Your impression of the city couldn't be more incorrect. There is tension in the city in neighborhoods under change/gentrification, but it's economic not racial tension. That tension dissipates quickly after the developers move out. I live in a neighborhood that's been integrated since the 50s. I walk and commute through the city all the time and I've never felt uncomfortable other than in areas where there's a lot of drug traffic. In the suburbs other than PG county, blacks & Hispanics are distinct minorities. In the District as you go neighborhood by neighborhood you see "minorities" in local majorities. My neighborhood is about 60% black and probably about 10% Hispanic & Asian.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:58 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,212 times
Quote:
...My neighborhood is about 60% black and probably about 10% Hispanic & Asian.
...and about .001% blithering buffoon.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:03 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
my family was forced out of their home in DC because they made too much money. do you have a problem with that?
They went off welfare. Well done it's always heartening to see that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies