Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:48 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,842,933 times

Advertisements

you are not that slow to the table. happ said that it doesn't get more american than NY, so I posted a picture of chinatown. you can't find the humor in that? good god. somebody get karfar a xanax and coke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
A picture of Chinatown....and???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 03:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,582,634 times
Well, I'm from Los Angeles and live in San Francisco and my favorite bar in the entire city, blocks from where I live, has a large amount of country music on the jukebox. Quite a few other bars do as well, in both cities.

And my relatives in the Midwest is voting for Obama (and no, they're not in Chicago), just like I am and my L.A., O.C. and Bay Area relatives are voting for him.

I think there is far more made out of the cultural divide and politics in this country than actually exists. There are more "bluenecks" than one thinks, and likewise there are Republicans with stereotypically liberal taste in culture. Even in this incredibly divided America there are still things we have in common, and things that defy stereotypes.

As for those who think all country music is conservative, I guess they've never heard of Steve Earle, Alejandro Escovedo, the Dixie Chicks, or for that matter Willie Nelson or the late Johnny Cash.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:15 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,309,515 times
I don't like Nascar, country music or 'Southern Food'. So?
I don't expect everyone to like tennis, jazz or sushi, and I don't judge them if they don't.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,556,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you are not that slow to the table. happ said that it doesn't get more american than NY, so I posted a picture of chinatown. you can't find the humor in that? good god. somebody get karfar a xanax and coke.
Oh hahahahaha!!!!! I knew what you were getting at J, you need to get OFF the xanax!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 PM

oh no! I need the xanax, or perhaps some valium. the lithium makes me jittery. for the record, I am a conservative, and I don't listen to country, and wouldn't watch nascar if someone paid me.

Quote:
Oh hahahahaha!!!!! I knew what you were getting at J, you need to get OFF the xanax!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,488,491 times
I like X-Games, Punk Rock and Chinese Food, where's the un-American anarchist party?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,556,546 times
I'll try anything once, how unamerican does that make me?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:24 PM

I like middle eastern food best, and hockey. depending on your definition of punk rock. punk rock died years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I like X-Games, Punk Rock and Chinese Food, where's the un-American anarchist party?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:25 PM

I try everything, and actually don't like the vast majority of those things called "american." I would rather have Lebanese food that bbq. I don't watch the NFL. hmmmm. I don't watch network television or keep up with pop culture.

Quote:
I'll try anything once, how unamerican does that make me?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:25 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,182,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's not that it's cool or elitist to hate country music or NASCAR- they're just both BAD forms of entertainment to me. Most country music and NASCAR fans would turn up their noses at my underground hip hop music and rugby and soccer games.
The original question was whether or not the "liberal elites" turn up their nose at country music and NASCAR, not whether they are more "American" or even whether or not they are good forms of entertainment. I happen to dislike both of them as entertainment. When it comes to sports, I'm a Red Sox and Patriots fan, and when it comes to music, I like alternative and classic rock.

The issue is the general "culture war" between many, typified by folks in places like NYC and SF, who think that anyone who isn't like them and doesn't think like them is a rube. You can see it here on these forums (sic..fora) daily. People constantly act as if the epitome of living is urban living in a northeastern or west coast city. According to some of these people, anyone else is just living in a "McMansion" suburb or a trailer park wasteland (who are automatically Republican which is an evil thing in itself), spending their days listening to country music and watching NASCAR, figuring out new ways to discriminate against gays, blacks, and other minorities.

It's stereotyping at its worst, and doesn't really show off those ideals about "diversity". What happened to that theory that all of us and our different experiences is great for mankind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies