Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Daily Bruin - Hating country music is elitist, misguided

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast and West Coast. I've noticed some of this here in the DC area and its a lot worse in NY, Boston, and California. Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood) and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.

ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
Many conservative Americans don't care for country music, and have never even heard of NASCAR.

Just an observation, but from your anecdote you seem to be angry at yuppies generally, and are directing that anger at Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM

74 posts, read 138,624 times
Quote:
Just because Obama is black
Obama is no more black than he is white.

Quote:
Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America?
Yes.

Quote:
And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
He represents people who think that if they just inflate their tires a little more that will offset all the oil we could drill for in the future.

He also represents blacks who don't know that Obama isn't black.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:30 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
I can just picture this guy driving down the street, imagining childish looks and stares from the "liberal elite" and thinking "I'll show them!", rolling down his window and blasting some country while staring them down, while they look at him confused, laughing manically to himself as he drives off, middle finger blazing.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:34 PM

500 posts, read 910,130 times

What is "real America". The most diverse cities that have the best economies are places like NY, LA, Chicago, SF, those are the places that make this country work, Bumble****, Nebraska is a small slice of poverty, one race and one religion, far from "real america'.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:38 PM

74 posts, read 138,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post
All liberals are out of touch with the REAL America.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:50 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,961 times
Nascar is ridiculous, I know some people feel very passionate about their Nascar, but I have tried and failed to see the entertainment value. Now country music on the other hand is not bad at all, although preferably the older stuff, like Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson, I also like bluegrass, which is sort of country, but way more interesting imo, so I guess I must be a confederate flagwaving, Ronald Reagan loving Republican

I like to watch the NFL & baseball, I like to listen to Bruce Springsteen and Coldplay, but I would take no pleasure in offending anyones eardrums by blaring my choice of music.

Trying to draw parallels between totally unrelated things is pretty simplistic, but if it makes you feel better, go for it, you'll just be wrong.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times
I just don't care for country music because I don't like the sound, same reason I'm not a fan of rap, or jazz or whatever.

I just don't really care much for nascar because I don't find driving on a perpetual oval to be all that exciting.

Not because I have a problem with rednecks, or fast cars, big trucks, beer ads and so on, it's just not for me...

Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
The Daily Bruin - Hating country music is elitist, misguided
ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
Maybe the guy asked you to turn it down because he didn't like it being that loud? I don't care what kind of music it is, when you pull into a 7/11 and they can hear you coming from several blocks, it's obnoxious. So what if he didn't like it? You like jazz, rap? techno? Eventually there will be a song that you don't like and you have every right to find it obnoxious if it's at 876678783 decibels.

So what is real America anyhow? Is it a redneck sitting on his tailgate sipping a tall boy? is it a white family in Beverly Hills? what is a real American? In Texas people are different than they are in New York, they are different in Idaho, they are different in Ohio, what is this real American?

Name me one politician that isn't "pandering who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes" Are republicans any better?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleeBob View Post
All liberals are out of touch with the REAL America.
What is real America?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
What is real America?
Apparently real American is wherever BilleeBob is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies